The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
bulkin'up73chevy

Timing issues?

Hi guys been a long time since i've posted on here the whole busy life thing keeps tying me up.

I finally pulled my 86 out of the shop to get her going again. And low and behold that mean dealing with the issues that hid her there in the first place.

Truck info.

1986 C20
second owner
california emissions.
350 rochester carb on top.
There is no ecu. just smog equipment.

The Problem

3 years ago the truck started missing/backfiring. throwing fire out the exhaust horribly. and up the top. I took the truck to a local shop seeing as i'm no expert just a usual diy.er. They first said the cam was bad. pulled it out inspected it, and it was fine. rebuilt the carb. Put a new timing chain on. adjusted timing. same problem.... called me a month later and told me to get it off there lot with no change. and stole my exhaust. Now getting back into her. Today I put fresh fuel, and oil. and she sounds alright but still the same as 3 years ago. any idea to the issue?
77 GMC FLATBED 502 CADDY BB.
85 CHEVY BLAZER (wrecked)
86 CHEVY LB 2WD 77,000 ORIGINAL MILES
86 RX7 "SOLD"
88 RX7 "SOLD"
88 SUPRA "SCRAPPED" DIVORCE SUCKS
2003 HONDA CBR 600 F4I "SOLD" DIVORCE SUCKS
bulkin'up73chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Timing issues?

the distributor? or at least the module in it.. ive had issues with KEM brand modules where they have been bad right from the parts store

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
terryj

From the sound of your symptoms its a timing issue, simple things first, check your plug wires and make sure their going to the correct plugs, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 in a clockwise direction on your distributor cap. Normally if it is the ignition module you'll get no spark at all, these are normally "run/no run" modules. Check inside your distributor for cracks, carbon tracks and loose wires. It sounds like your getting spark but not in the right firing order. Remember these are HEI systems so be carefull they knock you on your butt.
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Cue-Ball

I'm with terryj. Definitely sounds like something wonky going on with the spark. Check all the easy/free/cheap to fix stuff first, then move on to other possibilities. If everything he suggested checks out, you could try a cheap junkyard distributor just to rule out problems with the magnetic pickup, wires, etc.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
bulkin'up73chevy

Thanks guys I ran her today up to my logging lot and going uphill she just lost all power had to tow her home. Tomorrow morning I will be doing just as you said, although firing order is in all good shape I already checked that. I'll be going in this order.

Distributor inspection/ replacement parts.
Timing w/ timing light check the distributor isn't 180 out.
Plug wires and plugs.
Compression test.
Timing chain if no change after that.

There is no knocking and/or tapping at all internally so I'm sure all that checks out hopefully the shop didn't screw me over then and come to haunt me now.

i finally got the idle down today after getting her running. The never hooked up the vaccuum from the brake booster. "JUST SUCKING AIR IN"

Another question is about california emissions. any of you know where all these damn hoses go?
86 RX7 "SOLD"
88 RX7 "SOLD"
Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
terryj

Do you still have the stock air cleaner? If so there should be vacuum routing on it. If you can find the 3 letter code which should be in the upper left hand corner of the sticker on the air cleaner housing, let me know the code and I can help you with the hose routing.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Dan1969

It's a firing issue as previously stated. Replace your coil, module, wires, sparks (properly gapped), cap and rotor, clean vaccuum advance and weights, and adjust timing. You can clean your Carbureator and replace vaccuum lines along with PCV Valve and fuel filter. That's just my two cents. It'll be about 100 bucks worth of parts and easily done in your driveway, given that's not raining.
Dan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
bulkin'up73chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj View Post
Do you still have the stock air cleaner? If so there should be vacuum routing on it. If you can find the 3 letter code which should be in the upper left hand corner of the sticker on the air cleaner housing, let me know the code and I can help you with the hose routing.
Thank you. I do have the stock air cleaner i'll go pull those numbers off for you. I appreciate your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1969 View Post
It's a firing issue as previously stated. Replace your coil, module, wires, sparks (properly gapped), cap and rotor, clean vaccuum advance and weights, and adjust timing. You can clean your Carbureator and replace vaccuum lines along with PCV Valve and fuel filter. That's just my two cents. It'll be about 100 bucks worth of parts and easily done in your driveway, given that's not raining.
Thank you Dan1969 I have already checked timing today. Already has a brand new CAP, AND ROTOR. I have never cleaned a vaccuum advance. How do I go about doing that? and what are the weights you are referring to? I have never heard of those.

It appears as though there is an ICM under the cap that I have never seen in this series of truck "PRE-TBI" and there is no ECM to operate the ICM on the truck. I am tearing down the distributor as we speak.

I will be rebuilding the carburater tomorrow AGAIN! Making sure the floats aren't stuck or have rusted in the time it sat.

I will be taking pictures and posting within the hour.
86 RX7 "SOLD"
88 RX7 "SOLD"
Old 12-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
bulkin'up73chevy

here are some pictures. Air cleaner code. "UKS"

both air pumps are in working order. vaccuum lines hooked up to the necessities. Transmission. vaccuum advance. others plugged temporarily.

Note: Everything was hooked up correctly when it started this problem three years ago. this is what I ended up with after getting it back from the shop. with the acception of the disassembled distributor. That I did.
Attached Images

86 RX7 "SOLD"
88 RX7 "SOLD"
Old 12-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
bulkin'up73chevy

and here is the distributor. Still confused about "Weights"
Attached Images

86 RX7 "SOLD"
88 RX7 "SOLD"
Old 12-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
terryj

I'll tell ya, if it were me, I'd be scraping most of that somg crap off the truck, I believe that in Washington and thing over 20 years old doesn't need IM'd. All that stuff does is drain the hp fromthe engine. The Rodchester Q-jet is a fuel hungry carb, most likely you were getting about 8-10 mpg. If you can get your self a set of headers and a different carb for that 350. I have the same truck, mine is a 83 C20 with the 350 vin M engine, I pulled off all the smog stuff, put headers on it and an Edelbrock 1406, man what a difference in fuel mileage and performance. The truck is now getting 15-18 mpg.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
terryj

My emissions book doesn't have that Emissions code.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
rs72z

The weights are under the rotor. You should be able to turn the rotor one way and it should spring back. If it doesn't one of two things, the advance is froze up or the distributor has ESC. Electronic spark control, if this is the case there will be a four wire weather pack connector coming from it. If it has esc throw it away and get a regular hei.
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
Dan1969

You have the weights. Just take the rotor out and you'll see a little combination right there

The Vaccuum advance just take it apart when you're doing the weights and spray it with carb cleaner and rinse, make sure the little arm moves with a little resistance, not too much. When putting all your stuff back together you will need to retime. Make sure you get a new coil as well and a module. I had an old 78 that the module would give me all kinds of problems.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
Cue-Ball

It's important not only that the arm on the vacuum advance moves freely, but that the diaphragm itself works. When I bought my truck the vacuum advance didn't actually function because the rubber inside had broken down and torn. Not only was I not getting proper vacuum advance, but I was also getting a small vacuum leak thanks to the hole in the diaphragm. The best way to test is with a vacuum pump and gauge so that you can see exactly how many inches of vacuum are required to start advance and for full advance. But you can just suck on the vacuum line to check for leaks and proper operation.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
Dan1969

You're right Cue-Ball. I'd say suck and blow on the little intake port to test it really quick.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
csb#356

Could this shop have possibly not lined up the timing marks on the cam and crank correctly. I don't know if it would run or not with them not lined up but something to check I guess if you can't find anything wrong with the distributor
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #18
donut

I thought the '86's did have some sort of spark control?

1/2 ton I had years ago had the brain mounted above the glove box.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #19
rs72z

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut View Post
I thought the '86's did have some sort of spark control?

1/2 ton I had years ago had the brain mounted above the glove box.
Pretty sure the 1/2 tons did not sure on the 3/4 though. A good pic of the dist. would help or just pull the rotor off and see if there is any springs.
Look at the pickup coil close and make sure that none of the wires are cracked and shorting out.
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #20
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

if you look close you can see the screws for the vac advance
my advance was rusted up bad,going to replace the dizzy soon,as it still sticks
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 AM   #21
bulkin'up73chevy

Ok so the holiday has set me behind. however I am checking like you said the timing marks on the crank to cam also the timing chain. It appears as though everything else has been in good order so far. Timing was 100% correct and the problem continued. Last thing I was to do is repair the cam but I just might have to go that route.

Also.... Spitting flames when running.
86 RX7 "SOLD"
88 RX7 "SOLD"
Old 12-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
csb#356

If its spitting flames out the exhaust the timing is too far retarded I believe. This happened to me when my distributor was a tooth off but That wouldn't really make sense if the timing marks are reading correctly. Maybe your plug wires are in the right order but they are not in the right spots on the cap. Like you started one terminal ahead when putting them on. Id bring the #1 cylinder to like 8 degrees or so before top dead center and then look what terminal the rotor is pointing at on the cap and start there with your firing order and see what happens.
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #23
bulkin'up73chevy

Ok did the oil change fuel pump checked out not leaking however I also replaced the distributor and it was an hei. I am getting perfect spark and timing however no firing any more. at all.time to pull the front off and check the timing chain?
86 RX7 "SOLD"
88 RX7 "SOLD"