The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
RRR18

Question Give me some help

Ok guys I fought with myself and others over and over so now it can be your turn. I'm in need of some help AND opinions. Don't hold back...really.
This is my '67. I pretty much bought it like you see apperance wise. Entire powertrain was redone by me. Everything else body and chassis was done by previous owner. It's static dropped....low.....5"front 7"rear maybe.?. It's low. Tire sizes 235 60 15 front and 275 60 15 rear. Disc brakes in front. 5 lug all around. Has a cnotch. Everything seems to be done correctly. So....should, if, or when I decide to change anything...could I? I have searched many builds on here and love the work you guys put into your trucks. I just am limited with the experience I have on wheels with backspacing and static drops and air ride. One thing I do know is that I will not cut the truck any more than the cnotch that it already has.
-Can I fit 20"s on it....if so tire size?
-Do I have to bag it to do anything else other than what it is?
I can barely get a beer can underneath the front bumper so ya it's kind of a ***** to drive, but the stance is killer to me so I put up with it. Let me know what you all think. I tried to let ya know all I can think of but I'm sure I left some info out. Thanks
Attached Images

Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rtimes3c10/

Ryan
RRR18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
79shortbed

Re: Give me some help

I think some 17 or 18 inch torq thrust IIs or similar wheel would look awesome and still have some sidewall to ride decent. I agree, the stance looks amazing!
79shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
SCOTI

235-60-15 = 26" tall tires. The closest thing in a 20" would be 245-35-20's @ 26.75". Things to consider:

Wheel width... the 245's on a 20 would likely be an 8" wide wheel & with that drop prob require about 5.25" back spacing. This needs to be considered (is there enough room in the wheel well @ your current drop??).

Tire section height... that's the height of the tires sidewall. The 245-35 series tire is short (<3.5" tall) so it will detract from the current ride quality (if it's bad now, it will only get worse). Pot holes start to become a concern for many wheels as damage could occur.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
RRR18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
235-60-15 = 26" tall tires. The closest thing in a 20" would be 245-35-20's @ 26.75". Things to consider:

Wheel width... the 245's on a 20 would likely be an 8" wide wheel & with that drop prob require about 5.25" back spacing. This needs to be considered (is there enough room in the wheel well @ your current drop??).

Tire section height... that's the height of the tires sidewall. The 245-35 series tire is short (<3.5" tall) so it will detract from the current ride quality (if it's bad now, it will only get worse). Pot holes start to become a concern for many wheels as damage could occur.
SCOTI........as always thanks for your pro approach to my questions. Some good points to think about. I've wondered if 20"s would even fit and best I can see is if they do it would have to be on a 35 series tire. Not sure I'd like to do that. I'm not saying that the guys that run them on this site have a bad setup I just don't think I can do that in NE Ohio. Our roads aren't the best around here. Far as I can see in the garage tonight I got "some" room but it ain't a whole lot. That's why I decided to let you guys throw stuff at me.

Ryan
Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR18 View Post
SCOTI........as always thanks for your pro approach to my questions. Some good points to think about. I've wondered if 20"s would even fit and best I can see is if they do it would have to be on a 35 series tire. Not sure I'd like to do that. I'm not saying that the guys that run them on this site have a bad setup I just don't think I can do that in NE Ohio. Our roads aren't the best around here. Far as I can see in the garage tonight I got "some" room but it ain't a whole lot. That's why I decided to let you guys throw stuff at me.
IMO, consider the 245-40-20 @ 27.71 & run some taller inner fender wells....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486039
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
RRR18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
IMO, consider the 245-40-20 @ 27.71 & run some taller inner fender wells....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486039
Ya that crossed my mind too about the 40 series. As far as the link about the fender wells...that just seems like a little more than I wanna do to my bed though.

Ryan
Old 01-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
RRR18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79shortbed View Post
I think some 17 or 18 inch torq thrust IIs or similar wheel would look awesome and still have some sidewall to ride decent. I agree, the stance looks amazing!
79shortbed......thanks for your input. I've thought about this setup aswell.

Ryan
Old 01-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

It looks b!tchen right now. If you feel the need to change it, I would consider bags. Cruise low and ride high so you can bolt on those 20's you really want.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
It looks b!tchen right now. If you feel the need to change it, I would consider bags. Cruise low and ride high so you can bolt on those 20's you really want.
X2!!! I don't see a need to change it. You said it's a pain to drive, but swapping to bags may not be the best thing if you still want to continue to ride that low...that'd be a low pressure and not the best ride. My only concern with that ride height is how low the front crossmember/lower control arms are to the ground...do you scrap them a lot?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
RRR18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
X2!!! I don't see a need to change it. You said it's a pain to drive, but swapping to bags may not be the best thing if you still want to continue to ride that low...that'd be a low pressure and not the best ride. My only concern with that ride height is how low the front crossmember/lower control arms are to the ground...do you scrap them a lot?
tubbedII......thanks for the reply. Your 100% correct with your concern on my current front ride height. I don't have a measurement at the moment but the arms are low. Ya, I bump and grind here and there. Maybe 3 to 4 times in the almost 2 years I've owned it. I've learned to plan my driving route before I go anywhere and my eyes are peeled to any "road hazard". Just something I've learned to deal with.

Ryan
Old 01-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
RRR18

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
N2TRUX......Thanks. Ya it's easy to say to go to bags...another to figure out what'll fit properly and look the best at the same time. That's where my problem lies if I intend on changing anything.

Ryan
Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
RRR18

Keep it coming. Remember this....I live in NE Ohio and my truck gets to sit for 5 months a year so stuff starts building in my head. Pity me. HA!

Ryan
Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
big_al_71

Can I fit 20"s on it....if so tire size?

yes but each truck you have to measure to make sure..
-Do I have to bag it to do anything else other than what it is?

I would bag it as it makes life alot easier since you can adjust height
I can barely get a beer can underneath the front bumper so ya it's kind of a ***** to drive, but the stance is killer to me so I put up with it.

You can achive even a lower stance with bags and when driving it will ride 100% better than it does now.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
RRR18

Ah ha...big al....I knew you'd be chiming in. If there ever was a truck to model after in my opinion it would be yours. Your build is well thought out and just matches up perfectly.
Attached Images

Ryan
Old 01-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
big_al_71

Quote:
Ah ha...big al....I knew you'd be chiming in. If there ever was a truck to model after in my opinion it would be yours. Your build is well thought out and just matches up perfectly.
Thanks Ryan!!!!!!!

I truly appreciate it!!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
RRR18

Something else I guess I should have considered was a staggered wheel combo also. Example: 18s and 20s

Ryan
Old 01-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
hatechew

20" in the front pretty much gives you two options. Raise it or bag it. You don't want 35 series sidewalls where you live. Staggered 17 & 18 or 18 & 20 look killer on these trucks and would probably work with your suspension as is. Just have to get your b.s. right and you can have some sidewall.

Posted via Mobile Device
hatechew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
RRR18

SCOTI.....I assume that's on bags.?!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ryan
Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 AM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
SCOTI.....I assume that's on bags.?!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes it was. When air'd up to ride height, it was about where your truck appears to sit but it would buzz the tops of the wells on moderate road stuff from what I remember. Of course w/bags, it could go higher as well....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #20
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

~5.5-6" static drop up front. 255/40-20 on 8.5 wheel w/ 5.25 backspacing. Rubs only on big dips...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
RRR18

Thanks for the pic gringoloco. It just looks like mine is lower and that won't work.?.?
I'd like to get a 295/40-20 on a 10" wide wheel underneath the rear. I'm sure with the proper backspacing that won't be a problem since my ralleys backspacing pushs the tire way out to the bedside lip leaving much room there behind in empty wheel tub land.
The front continues to be a major jerk off. I know it would be easy if I knew the exact drop or had put this stuff on myself. I'd love to get a 20" in there, but if it don't fit it don't fit. If I have no other option then 18" it is. Is there any way to measure for clearance or should I find a real nice local tire shop guy that might by the grace of god let me test fit different things?<----Ya right!!! I would really hate to buy two sets of front tires and wheels if I don't have to.

Ryan
Old 01-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #22
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

It will end up higher due to the overall tire diameter. You could always swap in a known quantity drop spring...
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #23
RRR18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
It will end up higher due to the overall tire diameter. You could always swap in a known quantity drop spring...
Posted via Mobile Device
Ya...I get that. The difference in the tire you showed me(255/40-20) and mine(235/60-15) is 2 inches in height. Wouldn't that be pushin it? Thanks for the reply.

Ryan
Old 01-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Yup...if you stick with the 40 series, you're front end should come up about an inch and the wheel will go up into the fender about an inch as well since they are about 2 inches taller than your current.

If you want the 20's, get the 20's...you probably wouldn't be happy with anything smaller. I just get them and hope they work and if not, figure out if you have 2.5 or 3 inch drop spindles and buy springs to get you a ~6" drop in the front.

BTW gringo, that's the 1st time I've seen your truck other than your avatar...looks damn good! Gonna have to check out your build thread...can't believe I haven't yet.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #25
RRR18

I'll try and get some pics on here this weekend of my front setup. Might be able to get my buddys 20"s to see if it will fit.

Ryan