The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Capt. Dan

cross-member issue

I got to ask this as i don't see any other way. My 69 has a 250 inline six with a three speed stick,(3 on the tree), I am wanting to take the stick out and put a automatic in. Do i have to remove the cross-member that is used on the stick? Its welded on and i know it needs a different cross-member for the auto. I can get the 3 speed out by unbolting it from the bell housing, then lift engine and get the bell and clutch and flywheel. I am trying to figure out how to get the auto in threw that other cross-member in the way. Did i miss one idea??

Full timer rv'er and my wheels are always rolling along.
Capt. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
67c10rustbuket

Re: cross-member issue

You pretty much got it, The bell hosing mount xmember usually gets in the way of an auto trans and will need to be removed and a auto trans xmember will need to be installed at the rear of the trans. The bellhousing mount xmember is riveted in to the frame and you will need to drill/chisel them out. This will be a PITA on a 6cyl truck since the bell housing xmember is a little farther back than a v8. The rear upper 2 rivets are almost under the cab floor. just remove the trans from the bell and remove. jack or lift the eng off the bell xmember and remove the bell/clutch. then the xmember.

I have seen an auto(th350) used on a v8 that was mounted in the i6 location and it barely cleared the bell xmember, probably fit because the bell xmember is farther back and slightly lower on i6 models than in the stock v8 location. hope this helps clear it up for you. Later

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Capt. Dan

Re: cross-member issue

Thanks!! That was what i was thinking, but wanted to make sure, Dan

Full timer rv'er and my wheels are always rolling along.
Capt. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote