The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Bought an Edelbrock air filter, but it doesn't for right

I've got a '69 v8 350. The air filter it had looked almost identical to the one I just bought, but was a different brand. I wanted to replace it because the air filter was getting dirty anyway, and the chrome top was rusty. This kit came with the top and bottom metal pieces, as well as the filter. Only problem, is that the new setup is a bit too tall. The threaded screw type piece that goes up to center isn't long enough now. So, I used the old bottom, and put in the new filter and new top, and it fits perfectly. I'm guessing there's no problem with this? It's basically like getting a new filter, and a new top cover. That being said, I would prefer to use the brand new piece that it came with. Any ideas? Is there maybe an extension for the threaded thing?

[IMG][/IMG]
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Re: Bought an Edelbrock air filter, but it doesn't for right

It should be all thread, so you can take the old one into a hardware store and buy a longer piece of all thread from the bolt/steel section. If I remember right most are 1/4-20 thread.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
silverbullett

^^^He's right on the money about it being 1/4-20 all thread which can be found at any good hardware store. It'll work so long as you have a Rochester, Edelbrock, Carter or Holley 4150/4160.
silverbullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullett View Post
^^^He's right on the money about it being 1/4-20 all thread which can be found at any good hardware store. It'll work so long as you have a Rochester, Edelbrock, Carter or Holley 4150/4160.
Thanks. Is it just a whole new threaded piece I buy, except longer? Does it just unscrew with pliars, or is there a nut underneath somewhere?

Do you see any problems with me using the old base, with the new filter and top? Seems to fit perfectly
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
silverbullett

Yeah. The threaded rod will be longer and you may need to cut it down depending on what you use for a nut. The stud just unscrews with pliers if you cant remove it by hand. As long as the air filter fits well, feel free to use whichever base you prefer.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Square_78

Its just 1/4 threaded rod that screws into the top of the carb. I bought a 2 foot piece at Home Depot and cut it down to 8" so I could run a taller filter.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
Its just 1/4 threaded rod that screws into the top of the carb. I bought a 2 foot piece at Home Depot and cut it down to 8" so I could run a taller filter.
Exactly what I did on my '72 Suburban many years ago. It was even the same brand. Used a longer secion of threaded rod with a jamb nut and two filter elements. My BB loved it!
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
Awesome. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
domeier

I think you're going to be bummed out when it's time to buy a replacement element. There are NO filter companies who make an element of the same diameter as the one you have. You'll either have to buy a slightly smaller Fram that looks goofy and incorrect (because it IS incorrect,) or fess up whatever ridiculous price Edelbrock is charging for their unit.

I've had nothing but poor experience with Edelbrock products. The 1406 carb is simple to work on, but the banjo fuel inlet fitting leaks like a sieve, and once you replace it with a good ol' brass nipple, you'll have to buy a plastic Edelbrock spacer to raise the air cleaner up for clearance - and the spacer has notches cut into the top for some reason I've never been able to fathom, that leak unfiltered air into the carb.

While you're messing with it, (I'm assuming you have a 1406 carb?) take a good hard look at the set screws that hold the primary butterfly valve in place. All 4 on mine loosened up and were about to drop down the intake before I caught on and retorqued them with fuel-safe Locktite.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeier View Post
I think you're going to be bummed out when it's time to buy a replacement element. There are NO filter companies who make an element of the same diameter as the one you have. You'll either have to buy a slightly smaller Fram that looks goofy and incorrect (because it IS incorrect,) or fess up whatever ridiculous price Edelbrock is charging for their unit.

I've had nothing but poor experience with Edelbrock products. The 1406 carb is simple to work on, but the banjo fuel inlet fitting leaks like a sieve, and once you replace it with a good ol' brass nipple, you'll have to buy a plastic Edelbrock spacer to raise the air cleaner up for clearance - and the spacer has notches cut into the top for some reason I've never been able to fathom, that leak unfiltered air into the carb.

While you're messing with it, (I'm assuming you have a 1406 carb?) take a good hard look at the set screws that hold the primary butterfly valve in place. All 4 on mine loosened up and were about to drop down the intake before I caught on and retorqued them with fuel-safe Locktite.
That's great info. Thanks. Are you sure about the filter being an odd size though? It is the exact size as the dirty filter I just replaced
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
domeier

This is what it looks like with a Fram CA136 element, closest (non-Edelbrock) fit I could find, and a pic of the spacer with those goofy notches in it. When it's time for a new element, I'll go shopping for a stock air cleaner. They look the best anyway, in my humble opinion.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
silverbullett

I disagree on lack of replacement filter availability. I sell the these Air Cleaners daily and we also supply a number of different element options for them. I hope this helps.

Replacement 14"x3" air filter elements for Edelbrock 1221:

Paper Element Filters
Edelbrock #1217 $13.95
Spectre #4802 $9.95
Mr. Gasket #6403 $12.95
Wix #46945R $25.95
Fram #HPCA2 $27.99

Washable Filter
K&N #E1650 $43.95
Edelbrock #1216 $46.95

There are many more options as well if you'd like to go with a 4",5", or 6" tall filter.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
domeier

I don't think the trays are exactly 14" diameter. More like 14.25. I'll go out and measure it tomorrow.