The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
jd7

rear drum question

hello i have a 69 C10 with 4wheel drum I am changing out the rear 6 lug axles with 5 lug 5x5 bolt pattern. Is there a 5x5 drum that will work or do i have to convert to disk in the rear ? thanks for any info ..... I'm new to the truck scene
jd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
jd7

Re: rear drum question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd7 View Post
hello i have a 69 C10 with 4wheel drum I am changing out the rear 6 lug axles with 5 lug 5x5 bolt pattern. Is there a 5x5 drum that will work or do i have to convert to disk in the rear ? thanks for any info ..... I'm new to the truck scene
I am converting the front to disk right now and would like to order my rims all at once
jd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
dhughins

I did the same a few months ago. I wished I would've just stayed with 6 lugs. I know there are vendors on here that sell brackets for putting 5 lugs on rear. Do a search for "5 lug rear" maybe. You can have someone drill out a 5 lug pattern in your current drums and axles. They drill new holes and fill in a couple of the old ones. I'm considering that option right now.
dhughins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhughins View Post
I did the same a few months ago. I wished I would've just stayed with 6 lugs. I know there are vendors on here that sell brackets for putting 5 lugs on rear. Do a search for "5 lug rear" maybe. You can have someone drill out a 5 lug pattern in your current drums and axles. They drill new holes and fill in a couple of the old ones. I'm considering that option right now.
Drilling 6 lug axles can be done, one or two of the 6 lug hole have to be welded up, and the pilot center for the 6 lug is larger and has to be machined down. Not difficult IF you can do it your self, IF you have to pay, the Moser axles look like a bargain...and are better than the original axles, strength wise.

I'm not keen on welding axles...

Another option.. I've seen in some pickup specific magazine that sells 6 lug rotors, w/ spindles (as a kit) to convert the 69 and earlier to disc...don't remember who sells them though. I'm going for the 5 lug route, myself...

IF, IF, one decides to go the 6 lug disc route, BEWARE, your old 6 lug wheels may NOT fit on the front, they might hit the calipers...FYI...
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
68Gold/white

Did you get 5 lug axles for your 69 rear end???

The 70 and up 5 lug axles are longer, they will physically fit in the rear end, but stick out almost an inch more......

IF you have the correct axles, just order drums for a 71 and new C-10... no problem.

Your 69 brake shoes are 11X2, and so are the 71, 72...

73 and newer 11X2 AND 11-5/32X2-3/4 shoes...the larger shoes take a differnet drum and backing plate, you don't need them though

If you have the correct axles, the correct 5 lug drums will slide right on, and only need adjusting for the shoes... too easy...

The larger drum/shoe deal may not of started until 75, can't remember for sure...

Mose Axle has been advertising "C" clip axles for $260.00/pair, here recently. I'd bet a set could be had for that price to convert a 6 lugger. Make sure you have them install the studs, and make sure they are sor 1/2" lug nuts, the studs will cast a hair, more, but well worth it.....

You will like the disc setup. Some her prefer the drums...not for me...I have 67 and 68 projects, NEITHER will roll, until they have disc on the front...
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd7 View Post
hello i have a 69 C10 with 4wheel drum I am changing out the rear 6 lug axles with 5 lug 5x5 bolt pattern.
Is there a 5x5 drum that will work or do i have to convert to disk in the rear ? thanks for any info ..... I'm new to the truck scene
Yes.
You can use 71-72 rear brake drums with the conversion axles.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote