The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Markedz

Fuel Lines for 3 tanks

Hi,
I have a 1970 Chevy Longhorn that has 1 tank behind the seat and 2 aux tanks (one on each side of the bed). When I bought the truck all of the lines were ripped out except the main line. There is a valve located on the driver's side floor board that could switch between the to aux tanks.
My question is this: Does anyone know how this was hooked up? It appears to be a dealer added option. Were there multiple filters? how do you switch between the aux tanks and the main tank? I have attached some pictures of what is mounted by the battery tray. Thanks for your help, I am trying to hook up all three tanks... These big blocks can suck some fuel
Attached Images

Markedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Fuel Lines for 3 tanks

Your pic is a filter base, not the selectable valve. Can you post a pic of the 3-way valve?

That may have been the only filter. Fuel went from the 3-way valve to that filter, in on the right side (in the pic) and out on the left side. Not sure what the other 2 ports are for, but they are plugged so just ignore them.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

Try this on the Phoenix Craigslist. I saw it last night and thought someone would want one. It looks like you are in Scottsdale. This is in Tempe. Can't go wrong for $10.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/3621475931.html

EDIT: I see you posted the pic as I was locating this ad. So,I guess you don't need this. Looks like it's only for 2 tanks too.

Jim
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
FirstOwner69

OK, that looks like a marine setup for a water separating fuel filter.

I found these on eBay. The 1st link includes some filter numbers including an SMI 494. The second link is for the Mercruiser filter that says it'll work with an SMI filter head.

For more search eBay Motors using "SMI filter". Search in title and description.

Jim

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-FUEL-...s_Gear&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-MerC...sories&vxp=mtr
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Markedz

I have uploaded the image of the valve. I am assuming that all the tanks run to this and this is what is used to switch between all the tanks? But... do you know where to get a replacement fuel filter for the fuel filter body? It says SMI on it.
Or what the route of the lines were / are? Thanks
Attached Images

Markedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markedz View Post
I am assuming that all the tanks run to this and this is what is used to switch between all the tanks?...... Or what the route of the lines were / are?
You assume correctly. As the valve is positioned in your pic, the line from the main tank connects to the fitting pointing upwards. The valve mounts to the truck with this fitting pointed towards the rear of the truck. The small pointed end of the selector handle will point to the rear of the truck to select the main tank, point left for the left tank, and point right for the right tank.

The left side tank line connects to the fitting pointing away, and the right side tank connects to the fitting that is pointing towards the camera.

The remaining fitting, opposite the selector handle and pointing left in the pic, connects to a fuel line going to the fuel pump, or to your filter first if you decide to replace that filter you showed in your first pic.

My valve has 90-degree fittings on all ports except the one to the main tank. It allows the fuel lines to be routed a bit more neatly. All my lines leave the valve and initially go towards the rear of the truck.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
MusicMan70

Here...

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/MOE...FWbZQgodpHYAqg
Old 02-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Markedz

Thank you all for your help.