The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
UATahoe

Need help with transmission issues

Could use some help from you guys on what might be going wrong with my tranny. Its a newly overhauled 700r4 behind a 383 stroker. The tranny is still under warranty so the local shop will be fixing it but i would like to get an idea of what they should be looking for.

The issue i am having is at wide open throttle. The engine will rev all the way to 5500 rpms but the truck doesnt accelerate with the rpm climb. It hesitates until it is at 5500 rpms for a little bit and then finally starts to accelerate. Almost like its in neutral. Happened when i pulled on to the highway. Luckily no accidents but it was definitely not right. What can cause this? TV cable adjustment or internal clutches being bad?
UATahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
GRADYS Performance

Re: Need help with transmission issues

TV cable adjustment is the first thing to do when installing a TH700R4/4L60 Transmission. If it is not adjusted properly you will destroy the transmission clutches and band in a very short time. Check fluid level and a Line Pressure check is important to tell what is going on inside the transmission.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
UATahoe

Thanks man! Hopefully the shop can get it squared away. Dropping it off there this afternoon.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Did they rebuild it AND install it for you?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
UATahoe

They did. They did it all. Replaced my jacked up speedo cable as well and the seedo gears to get the speed dialed in properly.

From everything i am reading, it sounds like the tv cable just isnt adjusted properly.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

If they did the install they own it, but it sounds like its toast.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 02-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
UATahoe

They have been great so far and i know they will stand behind it. Would just really like to figure out what it might be.

To me, i would think its either the tv cable is off or the clutch packs are toast causing the shift at WOT to be awful.

Either way i know they will fix it. I just hate the iterative do loops trips to the mechanic become.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
UATahoe

Still trying to figure this issue out. Havent had time to get it up to the shop yet. Should add a little more detail here. Under normal acceleration everything is fine and it shifts through all gears with no issues. The problem comes in when i am in 2nd gear and go WOT. At that point, the engine rpms climb fast but the truck accelerates very slowly. Once it egts to 5000 rpms, the truck seems to be coming out of the bog slowly and then the transmission shifts into 3rd and the truck runs normally. Any htoughts?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

All it takes is one WOT with the TV cable out of adjustment to burn the 3/4 clutch pack.
What is the stall on the converter? Did you adjust the TV cable?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I would not waste another minute getting it to the shop that built/installed it.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 03-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
UATahoe

Nope, all of the work has been done by the shop. Plan is to get it up there tomorrow. Closed today. I believe he used the stock corvette stall but would have to verify that. I have no worries the shop will fix it. I just want to help point out the problem so we can get it fixed once and for all. They have already said they will rebuild the whole thing if they have to.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

It is common for new valve bodies to stick on the 3-4 shift. I had it happen to two builds. Each one had a shift kit in it. My tranny builder said to do this procedure if it sticks 3-4 shift. Slowly accelerate to ~15 mph, at 15 MPH it should shift to 2nd. Right before it shifts, turn it off in gear. Don't turn the key too far back or you'll lock the steering wheel! Throw it in neutral and start it up. Throw it back into drive. Drive it up to 45 mph and see if it shifts, 3-4. I saw him do it to a build 3-4 times. It loosened up the 3-4 shift. It takes about 500 miles to break in a 700R4 after a rebuild. All this works only if the TV cable is adjusted properly.
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/tvcable.htm
Old 03-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
UATahoe

Thanks for the info Gerardo. This one does have a trans go shift kit installed. My issue all seems to happen in 2nd gear. Its a really strange thing. Its almost like its not transferring the power from the engine to the wheels. So once the truck is in 2nd gear, what is responsible for transferring all of the engine power to the wheels? Its like it is defaulting into neutral almost.

Last edited by UATahoe; 03-17-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #14
UATahoe

Just wanted to update. Finally got the transmission sorted out. Ended up being a bad boost valve, sticking valve body, and a bad torque converter. Got everything fixed and the truck runs amazing now. It finally runs how I thought the 383 should. Really stoked about getting this all sorted out. Truck hauls tail when floored and has no problem breaking loose the tires and getting sideways now. Lol