The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2014, 03:49 AM   #1
Van1lla Gorill4

Post New guy here with our old GMC.

Like the title says, I am new here. Over this winter I have recently acquired the old GMC that we grew up with on the farm. I am new into the GMC/Chevy world. So I will be here frequently once I get the truck to my house when the snow thaws. From what I understand they call these things about 15 different names.

it is a 1971 GMC C20 Sierra Grande Custom Camper Longhorn. From what I understand, it it all original. Will be getting in touch with the PO later this week. I know there are no production numbers, but finding one like mine has been next to impossible. I understand everyone wants their truck to be "one of a kind", but I think I just may have something here. There are small things that I haven't seen on other trucks. Like the wood thing the CB is hanging on, or the cab lights, maybe I am just filling myself full of ****? I will post the SPID, and the VIN, as well as a few pictures from last summer. I will be taking a trip out to her to check on it in a few days and get more pictures. I have SO many questions, but for now I think I will keep this short.

Currently it is parked where it has been for the last 9 years or so. I have never brought a vehicle back to life before, so as many pointers and tips as you guys can give, would be awesome. I am very mechanically inclined, with jeeps that is. I know my way around a vehicle so to speak. If someone could provide a good thread to go off of, or a list, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have misplaced the keys for now, and am searching for a way to get it moving asap. I am assuming that you can unplug the ignition from underneath the dash and install a new one? I just want to be able to unlock the steering wheel and get her into neutral. I have heard about taking the door lock off of the passenger side and getting that code to have a new key cut. I guess I am just asking for the easiest way to get it moving. And if anyone could recommend what type of tools I should bring with. It is located about 60 miles from me right now in a field, So I would hate to get there with the wrong tool.

That is all for now, thanks guys, and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Van1lla Gorill4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:34 AM   #2
Scott>72-GMC

Re: New guy here with our old GMC.

Beautiful truck
Old 02-26-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
Van1lla Gorill4

Thanks Scott. I am just enthralled with it so far and I haven't even started to work on it.

Also, on a side note. I am missing my tailgate. Virtually the only thing not on this truck. Hell, I have the original chrome hubcaps still. I attached a picture of what I am looking for. I want to find a used one with rust, patina, dents, scrapes..to match my truck. I don't want an OEM or a re-pop one. But I will settle for a NOS one if I happen to find that diamond. I have been scouring craigslist, eBay, and about every parts page on the internet to find one. If you have one, or know of one, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks again.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #4
Scott>72-GMC

By the way these steering wheels don't lock my key was missing had mine shipped here from Colorado. Doesn't lock the wheel or shifter so ur good to go
Old 02-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
Scott>72-GMC

You will learn a lot about these trucks as u get into it you have a very nice one as of rare it's not rare u jugs have a lot of very nice options how many with the same options have survived who knows. C30s were more common to have the cab lights but c20s could be equipped to the bed is the long horn witch gives u the 8.5 ft bed and the Sierra grande gives you your trim option such as the wood trim inside. The tool box built in the bed is also a very nice feature. I'm sure others will chime in too I'm only 3 years into these trucks so Im new too. Just sharing what I've learned thus far
Old 02-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
70LonghornCST

Hello and welcome to the site! Nice looking truck you have there. Production numbers on Longhorns were low, but demand is not super high on the Longhorns. I know, tell me about it

Anyway, it is still a nice truck to restore, and I believe in time, the rarity of these trucks will be appreciated.

As far as the ignition, look for the keys. It will make your life easier. Otherwise, you will need to work hard to remove to the ignition key tumbler without destroying the dash. Purchase a new ignition/door lock set and be done with it. Rekeying a lock set may run you more than purchasing a new set. Check with member Lockdoc.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
Van1lla Gorill4

Hell, since I don't need a key I might get this thing sooner if it isnt frozen in place.

I have grown fond of the cab light, tool box and the wood bed ever since I was a little kid. Not every pickup out there has them. The wood grain that the CB is hanging on still puzzles me though, have yet to see it on another truck and it rns vertical. And I have learned over the last month of bookmarking a hundred different build, how to, and customization threads that I don't think a single one of these pickups was made the same. My goal is to find one as close to mine as possible so I can see what theirs looks like..just for the hell of it. I know that the longhorn gives it the 8.5' wood bed, the sierra grande gives it the trim package, but what does the custom camper give it? The SPID lists three options that I haven't deciphered yet.

YE9:CHEYENNE SUPER
I thought Cheyenne was for the Chevy's?
Z81:SPECIAL CAMPER
This would be the custom camper I am guessing.
Z84:CUSTOM SPORT TRUCK
No idea what this option ads either.

I guess I have always called it a Custom Camper based on this fender emblem.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
Van1lla Gorill4

Thanks, glad to be here. I have heard that the production numbers to Chevy longhorns are in the 3300 area? And I have also been told it is a 4:1 or a 3:1 ratio for GMC's. Which puts it at less than 1000. Rare enough to me lol. Either today or tomorrow I will be making a trip up to see it. Hopefully it is above zero sometime soon. 65 days here this winter below zero.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
70chevytruck

Take the lock cylinder off the door and take it down to a locksmith. There is a number on the lock...Cost is about $20. He can make a key easily. Works on the ignition as well as the doors.

70chevytruck
70chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
67 chevelle

Beautiful truck , you are correct , that thing has a ton of options
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Welcome aboard from Florida!
Great truck, the wood piece the CB mike is hanging on isn't a stock or dealer option, sorry.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
SuperC10Tex

Welcome from Texas! Nice looking 4-eyed Longhorn you got...."Have Fun"!!!

"An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows"
SuperC10Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
Van1lla Gorill4

I figured that CB this was after because it runs vertical grain.
Just noticed I didn't post both sides of the SPID, so here that is.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Nice truck!
The steering wheel does not lock nor does the shifter, so you are fine there. As far as the ignition, you can unplug the one that is there and just plug in another one with a key and leave it there until you figure out the key situation.
I have extra gates here, but not the color you need.
Welcome.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
Scott>72-GMC

I think custom camper is the 3/4 ton option although not all 3/4 tons were called this I could be wrong :/
Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #16
Scott>72-GMC

Here's what I've got from others so far Dual batteries toolbox usually aux fuel tanks One guy has said the cab lights but I've seen lots without in thinking with all the nice options yours has it might have been special ordered If look for the build sheet some guys have been lucky enough to find them behind the seat some on the cover to the fuel tank.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
SCHRUMGMC

Nice looking truck !!! on;y thing i'd change on it is touch up the paint, throw a tailgate on it a new wood bed.Have it "of course" cleaned up and waxed BOOM
Old 02-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #18
tommys72

Nice truck....all the options and a 396 too huh...you scored a nice one

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
Bill Beasley

What's the story with the 65' Chevelle behind it?
Old 02-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #20
Syndrome

Nice truck, looks exactly like all of the GMC's I see around here... No tailgate. I've been looking since I got my truck for a replacement GMC tailgate and haven't been able to find any, every time I find a truck its missing the tailgate.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #21
Scott>72-GMC

Most these trucks hauled a camper at one point so the tailgate was removed I think that's y most are missing mine was reaced with a Chevy gate so I'm on the hunt for gmc gate too
Old 02-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #22
Coley

Nice truck and welcome!!
ditto on 70chevytrucks comments regarding getting a key made using the door lock/key unit. I don't think they simply unplug from the back as easily as all that.....can someone recheck this?
To remove that ignition bezel you need the key...then turn it one click to the right, then poke through that little access hole in the front of the key face with a paper clip or equivalent I think...but you still need the key to my recollection.
Check in that barn(s) or workshop for the tailgate or ask the guys there if you can look around for it....often it isnt' far and it is well worth taking a few minutes to find.
Don't try to run it off the main gas (tank)...its probably not going to go well with old gas turning into varnish.
Get fresh fuel in a jerry can and some fuel line, pull all the plugs...squirt each cylinder with some oil....turn over once by hand (plus you get a chance to quickly check or even better: REPLACE the original plugs)....and start it with that fresh fuel...maybe help it with a little 'quick start' if you like. Then later, remove the gas tank...clean it and re-install it.
Nice options on that truck too!!!
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #23
Van1lla Gorill4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott>72-GMC View Post
Here's what I've got from others so far Dual batteries toolbox usually aux fuel tanks One guy has said the cab lights but I've seen lots without in thinking with all the nice options yours has it might have been special ordered If look for the build sheet some guys have been lucky enough to find them behind the seat some on the cover to the fuel tank.
Yep, it has all of those things. Finding a build sheet is going to be net to impossible I bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
Nice looking truck !!! on;y thing i'd change on it is touch up the paint, throw a tailgate on it a new wood bed.Have it "of course" cleaned up and waxed BOOM
Thanks! I plan on having this thing for many years to come. For now I think I will keep the patina and just fix up the engine and drive train. If I dive into in all at once I will run out of stuff to do before I'm 30!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommys72 View Post
Nice truck....all the options and a 396 too huh...you scored a nice one
Thanks, it has been in my family since I was young. I have been told it a 402..but it says 396? So not quite sure what that means either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Beasley View Post
What's the story with the 65' Chevelle behind it?
The '65 in the back is my fathers. When i was about 15 or so we moved from the farm, and needed somewhere to store some vehicles. This GMC and his Chevelle are the only two that didn't fit inside. I have since purchased the GMC and this spring he will be coming to get his car. 5 years ago or so my parents moved to Colorado, so that is part of the reasont they sat for so long too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Nice truck, looks exactly like all of the GMC's I see around here... No tailgate. I've been looking since I got my truck for a replacement GMC tailgate and haven't been able to find any, every time I find a truck its missing the tailgate.
Tell me about it. I would hate to put a NOS one on here, and get it all beat up. And I don't want a chevy one, I might have to settle for a GMC one that is a different color. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Nice truck and welcome!!
ditto on 70chevytrucks comments regarding getting a key made using the door lock/key unit. I don't think they simply unplug from the back as easily as all that.....can someone recheck this?
To remove that ignition bezel you need the key...then turn it one click to the right, then poke through that little access hole in the front of the key face with a paper clip or equivalent I think...but you still need the key to my recollection.
Check in that barn(s) or workshop for the tailgate or ask the guys there if you can look around for it....often it isnt' far and it is well worth taking a few minutes to find.
Don't try to run it off the main gas (tank)...its probably not going to go well with old gas turning into varnish.
Get fresh fuel in a jerry can and some fuel line, pull all the plugs...squirt each cylinder with some oil....turn over once by hand (plus you get a chance to quickly check or even better: REPLACE the original plugs)....and start it with that fresh fuel...maybe help it with a little 'quick start' if you like. Then later, remove the gas tank...clean it and re-install it.
Nice options on that truck too!!!
Coley
The truck in these pictures is already being stored at a relatives. It has been in the our family for almost 20 years now. My parents bought it from a friend, and he used it as a water truck on his farm. I will be contacting him to see if he knows where it went, or where he purchased the truck also. Says 95k miles. Curious to see how many roll overs it has too. Thanks for the tips on getting it going.

A few pics of the Chevelle just for ****s and giggles.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #24
tommys72

Theres alot of guys on here that can tell you why it says 396, but actually be a 402. Im not one if them, all I know is from the spid. ..its a factory big block.

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #25
mx289

Very cool truck.Good luck with it.

Tom
mx289 is offline   Reply With Quote