The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Barbecue

Step bumper vs. regular (sport/roll) bumper mounting.

Hey all.

Truck in question is '86 Silverado SWB. Currently, I've got a chrome step bumper on the truck. Will be looking to switch to the sleeker regular style ones, referred to in the LMC truck catalog as "premium chrome bumper" (I've also seen them referred to as sport or roll bumpers). I'd like to find a OE used one, seeing as parts trucks pop up from time to time around here and I'm in no rush. So I've got a question, are the brackets and mounting hardware the same between the step bumpers and regular ones? If not, what will I require to do the switch?

Thanks everyone so much in advance for your assistance.

Cheers,

BBQ
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
03glide
Sell it before it's finished

Re: Step bumper vs. regular (sport/roll) bumper mounting.

I just made this change on my 81 Fleetside. None of the brackets from my step bumper worked on the chrome "sport" bumper. After seeing the prices for the new brackets I went hunting and the local pick-n-pull. I didn't find a truck with a sport bumper but I was able to get the brackets from a Suburban with that bumper on it. The outer brackets were the same from the suburban but I still am going to have to buy or alter the inners. I checked LMC to verify the outer brackets were the same for the Suburban and my truck.
03glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Barbecue

Thank you, glide, for the detailed information. I hadn't originally considered the suburban as an option. You mentioned that your're still going to have to buy or alter the inner brackets, is this because the suburban ones are different, or because the ones on the suburban you located were damaged/missing?

Thanks again!

Edit: Just had another thought, you guys think a van bumper and brackets would work? Just looking for options to replace the step bumper; way too big and utilitarian in my opinion. I've got a rear valance (roll pan), but I'd rather have the protection of a sleek bumper as this will be a daily driver.

Last edited by Barbecue; 09-30-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Words
Old 09-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
1774btcrew

A van bumper won't work for your truck. The stamping is the earlier pre 81 style and the brackets are totally different. It is easy to find a nice Suburban or Blazer bumper. Pick up brackets are hard to come by used. You can get by with just the outers from the Suburban if need be.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Barbecue

Thank you for the additional information. I just did a parts search for my local wrecker and it would appear as though they've got the rear bumper from an '81 Suburban. This bumper and brackets would work, right?

Old 09-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
1774btcrew

No problem. The bumper and outer brackets will work. You just have to figure out inner brackets.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
natedogg

I'm dealing with this same issue. I scored a good bumper off a burb and as stated previous the inner brackets are different for the trucks. However, you can buy just the inner brackets for the pick ups from LMC for about $50 each.
natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
crewcabshorty

Hi guys. I have been through this a couple of times . what I used was the rear portion of the blazer or suburban frame that donated the bumper and outer brackets . I cut the frame off and made the inner bracket . they fit perfect.
crewcabshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
Barbecue

Hey folks,

I've located a few suburban bumpers in my area over the past couple of months, but they all seem to have the same thing in common - the big rubber strip. Ideally, I would certainly like one without this stripping, however, they appear quite rare. Has anyone mounted a rubber-equipped bumper and just removed the rubber stripping? I know there would be some mounting holes left over, but how silly would that look? If anyone has some pictures for reference, that would be fantastic.

I'm trying to do this truck on a budget, and may just have to go with what's available locally...

Thanks again in advance, everyone

BBQ