The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2014, 01:01 AM   #1
no1udknow

I need the expert eyes of the original c10 officianados

So I finished the shortbed conversion of my 68, and other than the replacement of the front suspension, the rear suspension is unmolested. I noticed yesterday when taking this picture that it looked as if the wheels were forward in the rear wells. I remeasured everything u der the sun including the pieces I cut out of the bed and frame, and everything is kosher. Then I looked at the before pics on the first page of my build and noticed it there too. Now this truck was parked and broadsided by another vehicle, but after string lining it and taking many measurements a can attest the frame is straight. Am I over thinking this, is this how they were and I'm only noticing it because my truck isnt slammed on 20's? I looked at a claimed all original 68 for sale on the net, and it looked the same way. Thanks in advance.

My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:38 AM   #2
Turbo1dr

Re: I need the expert eyes of the original c10 officianados

It does appear like the differential is far forward. I don't have a good side shot of my truck to compare. It could be just the angle of the picture.
1988 LeSabre T-Type - Supercharged
Turbo1dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:58 AM   #3
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
So I finished the shortbed conversion of my 68, and other than the replacement of the front suspension, the rear suspension is unmolested. I noticed yesterday when taking this picture that it looked as if the wheels were forward in the rear wells. I remeasured everything u der the sun including the pieces I cut out of the bed and frame, and everything is kosher. Then I looked at the before pics on the first page of my build and noticed it there too. Now this truck was parked and broadsided by another vehicle, but after string lining it and taking many measurements a can attest the frame is straight. Am I over thinking this, is this how they were and I'm only noticing it because my truck isnt slammed on 20's? I looked at a claimed all original 68 for sale on the net, and it looked the same way. Thanks in advance.

It looks like you have the bed pushed up almost against the cab. How much did you take out of the frame and front of the bed?

The bolts that go through the bed into the frame in the center part of the bed: If those are not modified then you did nothing to change the way the wheel is centered in the fender if the bed is still the same height.

Did you measure the height of the bed before and after? It may have came up a little due to the weight reduction, and the higher it is the more acute angle of the trailing arms and the wheels will be closer to the front of the fender wells.

Do you plan on lowering it any? If so, load the bed down until it's at the height you want and see if the wheels are centered to your satisfaction.

I suppose you could re-cut the front part of the bed and move the bed forward by re-drilling the holes in the frame.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
It looks like you have the bed pushed up almost against the cab. How much did you take out of the frame and front of the bed?

The bolts that go through the bed into the frame in the center part of the bed: If those are not modified then you did nothing to change the way the wheel is centered in the fender if the bed is still the same height.

Did you measure the height of the bed before and after? It may have came up a little due to the weight reduction, and the higher it is the more acute angle of the trailing arms and the wheels will be closer to the front of the fender wells.

Do you plan on lowering it any? If so, load the bed down until it's at the height you want and see if the wheels are centered to your satisfaction.

I suppose you could re-cut the front part of the bed and move the bed forward by re-drilling the holes in the frame.
I cut 12" out under the cab, and 12"out of the bed in front of the wheel well, all the bolts in the bed dropped right back into place minus the very rear ones because I need to drill holes for them. The center set of bolts in the unmoved portion of the bed are right back in the same holes they came out of. I do intend to lower it a bit, I will try your suggestion later today. I was thinking that maybe it is because the suspension is so extended and as the axle is towards the bottom of the arc it is moved forward. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
Xeen

Once you lower the suspension the wheels will move towards the rear more, there is nothing wrong.
In this case looks are deceiving.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

It is one of those optical illusion deals. Lower it and they will be right where you want them. Do invest in the adjustable track bar as well, money well spent.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
faribran

Is this a 68 or 67?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Normal. This comes up all the time. Tires sucked into the wheel wells make it "look" worse too.

Drop it and fill the wheel wells with wheel/tire.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
no1udknow

That's Kind of what I thought. Like I said, I looked at a few photos of stock pickups and they appeared the same way, I just wanted a second opinion as I did cut the frame. Better safe than sorry. Btw, my truck is a 68, but on the drivers side is a 67 fender and bedside, and the marker was filled by the PO,not very well I might add, a screwed in plate and a pond of bondo and shocker... its craked.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck

Since you asked for expert eyes... going to offer up a little tip very few people know about to quickly tell if a short bed is a true short bed or cut down long bed. Of course it could always be a cut down long bed with a real short bed or aftermarket short bed, etc... so the frame will always be the true tell...

A true short bed goes straight down and forms an angle in front of the rear tire. A long bed has a curve to it.

1st pic is short bed. 2nd pic is a long bed about to be cut into a short bed (the weird tape lines are because he was cutting out an auxiliary fuel tank filler hole).

Anyway, kudos for chopping up a bed and going through with finishing it. It's a lot of work to do right.
Attached Images

Project "On a Dime"
Old 10-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
70shortfleet

Wow, I never noticed that before!
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
67ChevyRedneck

What's funny is that blazers and Suburbans do not have the curve... only longbed trucks.
Project "On a Dime"