The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Sodak

Gas tank skid plates

Got a quick question here.. will a set of gastank skid plates from a 78 chevy pickup fit and 81 chevy pickup.. both are stepside and 4 wheel drive, and if so what all do i need beside the plates themselves?
Sodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Gas tank skid plates

If you are talking about the plastic rock shields that attach to the gas tank brackets, there are two styles - full length shield and short (front only) shield.

If you want a shield to cover the entire tank you need to have gas tank brackets with the long base which turns up at the inboard side and has an additional threaded stud to hold the inside edge of the long shield. Also, there are two small angle brackets mounted to the frame which support the long shield on the front and rear corners, and two more studs on the outboard side the the brackets which also take washers and nuts to support the outer edge of the shield.

The short shield will attach to any gas tank brackets. It hooks on to the front lip of the gas tank and is fastened to the threaded stud on the bottom of the front bracket with a lock washer and nut.

Having seen the underside a many an old square truck, I would NOT install a rock shield of any kind. The shield traps water, road debris, leaves, insect nests, road salt, etc., and promotes early corrosion and rust of the gas tank brackets. The long shield is worse than the short shield in this regard since it traps more of the unwanted debris.

So, 1978 or 1981 are interchangeable as far as mounting bolt pattern of the gas tank brackets. If you want to use a short shield you are all set, assuming that you still have the threaded stud on the bottom of the front bracket - just install with a fender washer with a drilled out larger hole in the center for the 5/16(?) threaded stud and secure with a lock nut. If you want the large shield, then you need a long base bracket as described above with all of the features and hardware mentioned.

Last edited by tucsonjwt; 10-21-2014 at 09:18 PM.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Sodak

Ahh ok.. i have the short plastic on my 81 and my buddy has the alluminum long shield on his 78.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
tucsonjwt

I have never seen an aluminum rock shield. Maybe he has a plastic shield painted silver, or has some sort of aftermarket shield. In any case, I would leave all the shields off - but each to his or her own.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Sodak

Wow ..Ok.. here is the only pic i have right now will take some tonight if he's home.It travels the full lenght of the tank.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
cadillac_al

I don't think that is aluminum. That is just the stock steel rock gaurd. Mine hangs down a touch more than that one and it is easy to shoot a hose in there once in a while to clean it.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Sodak

You are probubly right about it being steel. And i guess i am showing my ingorence on what to call some parts.. all i really know is that his 78 has this and my 81 has the plastic and i'd like to up grade to this and have no idea what it was called and what parts i will need to acomplish this.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
cadillac_al

Actually I think it is called a skid plate too, so you were right. You would have to use your truck pretty hard to need a skid plate. I never had one on any of my other trucks. The one on my current truck doesn't have any marks on it so I doubt if it ever hit anything. If I ever ripped my tank open in the woods I could still get home with a gas can and some hose. I wouldn't spend too much time trying to install a gas tank skid plate.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
tucsonjwt

I have seen a couple old squares with those metal plates but assumed that they were not factory stock options. Maybe Keith can tell us if the factory offered this option. Plastic rock shields are difficult to hose out because of the closed corners. I doubt that many owners would spend much time under their truck hosing out their gas tank shields, especially in the winter where road salt is used and most of the damage is done.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
Sodak

And thats why i would coat the tank with either por15 or a product like monsterliner..1 to make it rust prof and 2 to make it more astecitly pleasing to the eye. but i see these are not as common as i thought they were.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
tucsonjwt

From what I have seen, the tanks are not the primary problem. The gas tank brackets and straps are what go first, especially the inside bottom of the brackets. I think salt will eat through POR if salt water/slush is trapped, frozen, thawed, etc. I have seen factory epoxied parts succumb to rust. Those coatings don't always adhere forever to the metal, and one small pin hole will start the rust process going and it will spread under the surface. A stone chip can set the ball in motion. Not trying to be a downer, just trying to be realistic. Of course, I live in HotZona so I am not rust expert - but I did spend a lot of time growing up in Michisaltagain.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
Sodak

Oh i understand you and will agree with you as well, it's just one of those things that get stuck in your head and no mater what anyone says your still going to do it, now i just got to find a set.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #13
tucsonjwt

Are you looking for a set of metal skid plates or plastic rock shields?
Old 10-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
dieseldawg142

shields wrecked my tanks.
almost 40lbs of crud trapped in there rotting the tank, other side had about 50lbs in it...
Name:  229.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  54.1 KB

left them off & por 15'ed them. five yrs on & no chips-no kidding, tough paint
Name:  016.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  52.6 KBName:  024.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  62.8 KB
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #15
Sodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
shields wrecked my tanks.
almost 40lbs of crud trapped in there rotting the tank, other side had about 50lbs in it...
Attachment 1315978

left them off & por 15'ed them. five yrs on & no chips-no kidding, tough paint
Attachment 1315980Attachment 1315979
So what your saying is .. there like the inner rockers on these trucks.. pretty an worthless.
But it also apperes yours are the plastic ones not the steel ones?

Last edited by Sodak; 10-23-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #16
Sodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Are you looking for a set of metal skid plates or plastic rock shields?
Yes i will be looking for the metal ones.. but i have some unfineshed buisness with a fellow member here to do first. then i'll have to pay my due's ($25) and then put it in the proper forum(WTB).Don't want to break any rules and i don't want to promess anything without being able to follow through.. not very good manners.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #17
tucsonjwt

From what little I have seen of these, they are just a plain piece of sheet metal (1/8"?) attached to the bottom studs on the gas tank bracket. Is there more to them than that? If not, why not just pick up a couple pieces of sheet metal from your local metal recycling store?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #18
Sodak

Accually there is.. they bolt in 4 places and the curve up front and ... i'll just show the pics i took, much easier to explain that way.
front

middle

back
Old 10-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #19
tucsonjwt

Does the plate turn up on the inboard side at the frame rails also? It looks like there are two more strap hangars on the inboard side.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #20
Sodak

I'll have to back out there and see.