The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
dragn91

what would you do to this truck to help it sell?

[IMG][/IMG]I just bought this I was going to keep it but after getting it home with all my other cars I just don't have the room. I fear that I'm the only one crazy enough to see the beauty in this beast. So I ask you guys what can I do cheaply to help this sell? Plans as of now are to bleed the brakes install a new exhaust manifold gasket and muffler a non broken taillight and give it a good scrub. Should I primer it to get rid of the yellow or leave it alone? Lower it? Let me know your thoughts
dragn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: what would you do to this truck to help it sell?

Don't primer it. When I am looking at vehicles original paint tells me I can see what I am getting, primer tells me someone did some crappy bodywork and they are trying to hide it.
Do the little cheap things you can do to get it driving decent, and then sell it. For the most part, the more money you put into it, the less money you will make.
Most importantly price it right.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

Only do things that are parts cheap. Avoid doing things that someone buying it as a project truck is going to do anyway. Unless the brakes have issues, skip bleeding the brakes, changing the oil, new coolant, etc. Don't even think about spending the time and effort to lower it or boost power as it will likely become "Your" truck and be hard to part with.

If your goal is to flip it, a good detailing including engine degrease and fixing things like burned out bulbs, blown fuses, oil the hinges, etc is all I would do.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
mattcrp1

I say make it as clean as possible. Fix the quick stuff like hanging wires, door hing pins, etc. Pressure wash the heck out of it.
Upper Control Arm Bushings: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=616974
IG mattcrp1
mattcrp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

clean it up inside and out motor too also I would throw cheap seat covers on it if they are bad an throw in some cheap mats if there is wear on the floor

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
E.D.75GMC

Shine it up as best you can inside and out
E.D.75GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #7
ol_skool_chevy

make it cheap and put it in my driveway.....I'll make a short bed crew cab out of it..

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
dragn91

Thanks for the tips I'm just going to throw a taillight in it put a different less bent tailgate on it I have laying around fix the brakes,exhaust leaks , and clean the hell out of the whole truck. That way I don't do something unneeded but I have a thing about exhaust leaks so I'm definitely at least gonna do that and the brakes that way it will be a nice running driving stopping truck for someone. Still trying to convince my wife to let me keep it at her parents as kinda a loaner truck for friends/family.
dragn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #9
dfrank

I like the truck!! It doesn't happen have a manual trans does it? Too bad it ain't a 4x4 though! LOL
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
Old Truck Man

I could part it out for more than I could sell it for.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #11
1970pelle

I flip a lot of vehicles. Clean and paint the wheels, nothing bright. A darker gray,silver or go back to black. Spray some black paint or very light under coat in the inner fenders and what frame and suspension that is seen by a walk by.
Take off all stickers, windows,bumpers,tailgates. See if the radio works, if not do you have a cheap one the toss in there. Clean out the glove box, ash trays. Add a air fresh-n-er. Clean the engine but don't paint anything but the air filter housing if you paint anything. Fill all the fluid bottles, have a spare tire & jack.
Make no excuses, put your price on it. And let it sell it's self.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:26 AM   #12
Gregski
Post Whore

a high level price table, see where the truck falls

first get your paper work in order

don't have title (bill of sale only) - I stay away from these

salvaged title - I stay away from these too

non opt title - hmm not too thrilled but lets talk

have clean title and it is current - now we're talking

now let's talk about the truck

truck don't start - low price

truck starts but won't run - a bit more money

truck starts and runs but you can't drive it - even more money

truck starts, runs, and you can take it for a drive - now we're talking *** this is where you want your truck to be ***

SAFETY ISSUES - sure it goes but does it stop, I would inspect and fix the brakes,

NOISES - does it make any noises, what rattles, what bangs, what squeeks, don't hide these things, fix them if you can, or bring them up yourself

EXPENSIVE things to fix that it's hard to get money back, cracked windshield to replace, new tires, brand new battery... let the new owners take care of these issues

List it with pictures and a good write up, are you the second owner, it was always garage kept, non smoker, blah blah blah, have a binder of maintenance history, just replaced all belts, etc, etc
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:30 AM   #13
Gregski
Post Whore

FORGET ALL THAT ...

FIND OUT WHAT WIFE LIKES... WHAT WIFE WANTS... AND BUY IT FOR HER

sure two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts get you back on the freeway, LOL
Old 03-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #14
jjzepplin

Hubcaps and all above.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #15
1970pelle

If your afraid of Bill of Sale that come's with most older vehicles now. You won't be owning many trucks or cars. Most states are getting away from using titles. Less paper work, my wife works for the State of Florida. And there is a big push to go all paperless. This is coming from Washington.
But if everything is in order dealing with a Bill of Sale is very easy. I keep the forms on hand. I have several local Police persons who will do the inspection for me. And fill out the form. And after that its all down hill.

Ken

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
Titomars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
If your afraid of Bill of Sale that come's with most older vehicles now. You won't be owning many trucks or cars. Most states are getting away from using titles. Less paper work, my wife works for the State of Florida. And there is a big push to go all paperless. This is coming from Washington.
But if everything is in order dealing with a Bill of Sale is very easy. I keep the forms on hand. I have several local Police persons who will do the inspection for me. And fill out the form. And after that its all down hill.

Ken
In California everything revolves around a title. Buying a vehicle without a title pretty much insures you are buying a parts vehicle. In this state you can't even junk a vehicle without the title.
As for salvage titles there is nothing wrong with those. It only means the vehicle was totaled (ins.co.) or junked to a wrecker, or an owner junked slipped it because it would not pass its smog test and the only way to sell it was to junk it. So a salvaged title means in the past it was scrapped and brought back. The title will have the word SALVAGE in it. In California financial responsibility falls to the seller to make the vehicle comply with it's smog requirements. There is a way around that but for this discussion we don't need to go there.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #17
TheCougarine

Well if you live in a state where you need to have a title to register a car, most people will avoid cars with only a bill of sale. I know here in TN it'd have to be something pretty special to take the chance on never being able to get it registered.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #18
hatzie

NH has titles 0-10 years. 11 years and older you will not get one. There are several states that are the same. You do need the last registration and a bill of sale.

California is just screwed up. If you have a truck that you didn't idle the registration and pay the "no-op" fee every year you can't sell it in CA. This does not preclude you from selling it in nearby states like NV, AZ, UT, OR, WA, ID, NM, ... those states don't have that BS.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #19
Titomars

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
NH has titles 0-10 years. 11 years and older you will not get one. There are several states that are the same. You do need the last registration and a bill of sale.

California is just screwed up. If you have a truck that you didn't idle the registration and pay the "no-op" fee every year you can't sell it in CA. This does not preclude you from selling it in nearby states like NV, AZ, UT, OR, WA, ID, NM, ... those states don't have that BS.
Actually you can sell it in California with no non-op. But the back fees will scare away most any buyer that wants to put it on the road again. So then it also becomes a parts vehicle never to see the road again (in Ca.). There is a method to California's madness. The state liberals wants old cars and trucks off the road so they make as hard as possible to keep them, restore them, and license them. Also non-ops have a side benefit as being another gimmick to line the states pockets by making you "register" a legally stored unused vehicle every year.

Last edited by Titomars; 03-21-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #20
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titomars View Post
The state liberals wants old cars and trucks off the road so they make as hard as possible to keep them, restore them, and license them.
Um Roger Niello was a Republican of the California State Assembly since 2004. He represented California's 5th Assembly District... he joined his family’s business at Niello Auto Group in 1974 and spent the next 25 years running retail automobile dealerships with his family partners
Old 03-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #21
Titomars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
Um Roger Niello was a Republican of the California State Assembly since 2004. He represented California's 5th Assembly District... he joined his family’s business at Niello Auto Group in 1974 and spent the next 25 years running retail automobile dealerships with his family partners
And his interests differ from the liberals how? Both the liberals and the Niello's want you in new cars for different reasons.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #22
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:

California is just screwed up.
Agreed.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #23
1977cheyenne_C10

Quote:

what? i thought if you put your car on non-op you don't get back fees.
1977cheyenne_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #24
Titomars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977cheyenne_C10 View Post
what? i thought if you put your car on non-op you don't get back fees.
If it is non-op'ed each year, you do NOT incure back fees. But you are basically paying a partial registration each year by giving them money for the right to keep it off the road and parked on private property.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #25
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Not sure if you're up on the latest but NH changed the rule. Used to be 15 years and older did not require a title. But starting Jan 1st, vehicles 1999 and older do not require a title, 2000 and newer will require a title.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote