The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
Isaiah92260

How do I adjust my Carb?

How do I correctly adjust my single barrel carb? I have a 67' straight 6, I'm assuming that I have a Rochester carb. My timing is at 12 BTDC and I have my idle at 650rpm's
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: How do I adjust my Carb?

The only external adjustment is the idle mixture & speed. Turn the idle mixture jet out a turn or 2. Then slowly turn it in with the eng. idleing & warm. Turn it in till it slows down. Then turn it back out till it speeds up to normal speed which is usually about 1/2 turn. Your speed at 650 is about right if it is a manual trans. An automatic may want about 750 in neutral
Wrenchbender Ret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Easy way to adjust would be to run the engine until it is up to operating temp. Turn the screw in until the engine struggles to run them back it out until max engine RPM is reached. Then reset your idle speed to 500-700.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
run the engine until it is up to operating temp.
Just make darn sure and do this first. A cold engine loves a really rich mix and you will be way too fat at temp if you set the A/R when cold.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Besides the above recommendations, another thing I do is listen to the exhaust while adjusting the carb. Should be smooth with no sputtering or popping.

Be aware, though, that ignition problems, bad gas, exhaust and vacuum leaks can make carb adjustments tricky or to be off so be sure you have fresh gas if the truck has been sitting for a while. Make sure spark plugs have the correct gap, points (if you have them) are gapped and set properly and all ignition parts are in good shape including the vacuum advance.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Besides the above recommendations, another thing I do is listen to the exhaust while adjusting the carb. Should be smooth with no sputtering or popping.

Be aware, though, that ignition problems, bad gas, exhaust and vacuum leaks can make carb adjustments tricky or to be off so be sure you have fresh gas if the truck has been sitting for a while. Make sure spark plugs have the correct gap, points (if you have them) are gapped and set properly and all ignition parts are in good shape including the vacuum advance.
Thank you for your reply and advice, what does the gap need to be for the spark plugs and points?
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #7
jdl71

If you are looking for the "proper" way, the factory service manual says to set your idle speed then disconnect the PCV line and put a vacuum gauge in its place. The adjust the mixture screw until maximum vacuum is achieved. I would have to go look, but I believe 650 or so rpm is about right for idle with a manual trans. Personally I would just do what the other posters have said.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote