The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
crazeetxn

Power Window...Regulator or Wiring Issue

Trying to figure out my problem here and having no luck. Passenger window motor was gone so I replaced it. One of the wires to the switch was broke, so I got a new switch from classic. Wiring colors were different, but I think I figured it out using a pattern and the letters on the back.

Problem is, it will either roll down fine, or if I reverse wires, roll up fine from the drivers side. But it won't do both. I can hear the motor engage, but it won't do anything...unless you wait. Then it goes up a little. Wait...goes up a little more...etc.

Anywhere else I can troubleshoot?
crazeetxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Power Window...Regulator or Wiring Issue

These intermittent power problems have all been related to bad connectors/harnesses behind the switches in my experience. Wiggle the connector and wires at the switch while operating the switch and you will likely get intermittent operation of the motor. The harness/connector for the switch is about $25-$30 from either oewarehouse or oehq.

The design of the connectors at the switches is not good. The wires bend 90 degrees where they come out of the connector, causing stress and breaks at the pins in the harness. It is possible to get replacement pins to re-stake/solder into the connector but I am not skilled enough to install them.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
crazeetxn

Fair enough. I'll just jiggle with it til it starts working. Saw a couple of guys put relays in for up/down action. May tackle that at some later time...
Old 09-15-2015, 10:43 PM   #4
crazeetxn

I after checking my wiring, I managed to get it right. At least enough so the driver switch makes it go up and down like it's supposed to. Come to find out, I think the driver's switch is part of the culprit. The old and new passenger switch still doesn't work, but oh well. Haven't rolled my passenger window down in over a year. So it's an accomplishment for now