The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
turbostar

tire pressure monitoring system

Hi Guys, I'm looking for information on the tire pressure monitoring system (tpms). I wish to avoid this complexity if I can. I have been told it started with 2007 models but I have seen the sensors on the net for earlier models also. Anyone know for sure when the Silverados started using this system and how do you tell if your truck has it? I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 and I'm looking at a 2009 1500. If the 2009 has this system and the 2006 does not, then I will avoid the newer truck. TIA
turbostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
95 S_Trucker

Re: tire pressure monitoring system

It was mandated for the 2008 model year. It was optional in 06. I prefer he tpms system in the 08. It's a lot more refined and a lot less problems. They have rubber stems where the sensor is mounted instead of the aluminum stems that corrode and leak.

What exactly don't you like about it? Every single car and tuck made since 08 will have a tpms system. I don't think that's a reason to disconsider a truck.

On GMs, I think it's great. You can be driving down the road and toggle through the DIC and see actual tire pressure for each wheel.
95 S_Trucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
turbostar

Thanks 95 s for your input. I know there are both pro and con arguments when it comes to tpms. For me personally, I consider it "unnecessary complication" which I prefer to avoid. So the 2009 surely has the system, and now I'm trying to find out if my 2006 is equipped with it. I read the owner manual for my 2006 and find no mention of it. Is there a warning light on the dash that lights up when the ignition is turned on? Or can I tell by the valve stems? TIA
Old 11-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
95 S_Trucker

Back in the day, fuel injection, automatic transmissions, power windows were all unnecessary complications.

Your 06 would have aluminum valve stems if it has tpms. They were mostly on high level SUVs and some high level trucks.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
turbostar

I have spent hours on the net trying to find out what option code the tpms would reflect, to no avail. Wish someone knew the option code, as that would be easy to check. Read the owners manual at least twice and see no reference to tpms at all. BTW, in researching tpms on the net I ran into many horror stories of people with issues. "If" my crew cab LT is so equipped, then the battery life in the sensors may be close to running out.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
turbostar

A lot more time on the internet and I may have found the 'low tire pressure' rpo code. I think it is uj6. Will do more searching tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:36 AM   #7
95 S_Trucker

If the batteries get low, you can have the sensors replaced. They are not that expensive. I charge 75 per sensor installed at my shop. That includes the relearn.

$75 is a lot cheaper than replacing a tire that gets destroyed by driving on it when it's low on air.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
turbostar

One of the recommendations I've seen on the net is that if you have a battery issue with one sensor(near the end of the battery life), then go ahead and change all 4 at that time. BTW the option code for the low pressure indicator system does indeed seem to be uj6.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
Flying Hamster

I don't know if I would avoid a vehicle just because of the TPMS, but it's just another knee-jerk nanny-state thing we have because some Exploder drivers with room temperature I.Q.s were driving around on half-flat tires, having blowouts and rolling over.
What ever happened to personal responsibility, or vehicle maintenance?
(And automatic transmissions are overrated, too)

Why, yes, I AM a grumpy old man.
Flying Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #10
turbostar

I'm with you Hamster on the nanny state. I don't want to get political, but we have a govt that thinks I'm too stupid to know what kind of light bulbs I should buy. This whole tpms experience has made me appreciate my (non tpms) 2006 all the more. The day will come when I have no choice but to buy a tpms equipped vehicle, but for now my low milage(54k) 2006 Silverado is my pick over the newer models-I'm sticking with my current truck. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:18 AM   #11
72MARIO

Our 2005 Tahoe had the tpms. I replaced a failed sensor to the tune of $75 and a week later it was broke again. The dash cluster gear display also was broken. When i replace the cluster with one from a 2005 2400hd. We lost the tpms system and the warning we got with the broken sensor was gone
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote