The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
tobascofred

Wheel cylinder issue

Got one I've never seen before - on my '70 C10 SWB step side, both front wheel cylinders are locked fully extended. They are both clean, no rust no leaks. I have not tried to press the pins back in until I get some information if this is a common issue. Should I just bit the bullet and replace both or could it have something to do with the master cylinder?

Also, the bleed nipple on the front front wheel cylinders are directly against the backing plate - does this look right? I can't get my brake line wrench on to them to open. Could the wrong wheel cylinder have been installed at some point?
Attached Images

tobascofred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
mike16

Re: Wheel cylinder issue

some times when there is alot of rust or sludge inside the wheel cylinder and they are extended, they dont retract no mater how strong the return spring is. and looking at that bleeder, and the fact that it cant be opened to bleed the brakes, I'll bet the brake system has not been bled in many years.

pull the wheel cylinders and rebuild them, and get new and correct bleeder valves. those dont look correct, they look too long. when you go to buy a rebild kit bring the wheel cylinder in with you and compare it to one in the books or better yet if they got one on the shelf. it may be correct and the same or it mat be different and maybe wrong.

no sense in rebuilding wheel cylinders that are wrong to begin with.

if the rust or sludge build up is bad in the wheel cyliders for certain the rest... and the master cylinder are bad too..
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
68 P.O.S.

Wheel cylinders are cheap, just replace them. I'd rather have a new properly functioning part without the worries.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
GRX

Agree. Buy new ones. They are cheap enough. And no that does not look correct. If both are that way, likely someone put them on the wrong sides. Nipple angle is the difference between right & left cylinders.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
tobascofred

Thanks for the feedback. I replaced the wheel cylinder and bearings. It stops much better now.

With the brakes squared away (stock drums all around with P/B), removed the goofy chrome arches over the wheel wells, tightened up the goofy alternator bracket and now she is a daily driver! I am nor going to bother removing all the '80's bling on it - just going to enjoy her as she is!

Lots of little things need attending to - temp gauge is mechanically pegged and I will have to remove the dash to replace it. The aftermarket stereo setup (AM/FM radio / cassette deck with an 80's power booster / equalizer like I used to install back in the day) is all crapped out and I am going to remove it and go to an old school AM radio with the dash speaker (gonna have to find a way to cover up the hideous holes cut in the doors for the crappy 6 by 9 triaxle speakers).

Eventually I am going to do to stock height tires and still toying with going with Chevy rally wheels...

To all a good evening...

tobascofred
Attached Images

tobascofred is offline   Reply With Quote