The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
everettelane

Gps trackers for our rides

I just read that 68 irons truck was stolen, we all know these trucks can be stolen fairly easy compared to the newer stuff, My motorcycle was stolen about two years ago and has never been found yet, thieves just piss me off i have bought a new one since and installed a tracker on it hidden very well its only about 2 inches long it sends me texts and email if it leaves outside a perimeter i've set, it has battery backup so if the battery is disconnected it will still work it even lets you know if the battery is low, you can real time track and see where all you've been, it would be cheap insurance for our trucks and when mine is done it will be getting one just letting everyone know whats out there.it costs like 120 bucks a year for monitoring. not sure about advertising for companys on this sight so i'm not putting the company name for the one i use. i almost forgot the tracker i purchased was about 75 dollars.
everettelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
70cst

Re: Gps trackers for our rides

Thanks for the info ...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:53 AM   #3
swamp rat

You can post a link if you want as far as i know, seen a bunch thru the years. I'd like to know more about it.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
everettelane

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
You can post a link if you want as far as i know, seen a bunch thru the years. I'd like to know more about it.
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/ca...ing+devices.do

Here you go mike
everettelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
davepl

Since I keep old vehicles forever, buying one with an annual fee doesn't work well for me. I read that Lojack now offers a "lifetime" service without annual fee, but it's about a thousand dollars, so not cheap.

Anyone know of a cheaper alternative that I don't have to renew every year?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
52napco

I'm going to try the "tile" tracker.. No fees and approximately 2 year battery life. Their intended use is key's and wallets etc. They ping off other users cell phones with the app
so anyone with the app on their phone will pick up when close to the tracker and send you a notification where the tracker is located.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Very timely. I believe I literally got home just in time to prevent a burglary last night of my house.

This time though, I got a good look at them and what they were driving and they know it. Hopefully that's enough to discourage them from further interest.

Yes, I spoke to police.

Once the truck is running, and I'm driving it, I'm sure thieves will be looking to steal it.

*I've thought about rigging up one of these but the problem is you need a new truck every time someone tries to steal it.

https://cameronbarrettstewart.files....7-56-11-pm.png

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 07-23-2016 at 09:04 PM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
TwoFiftyShifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Very timely. I believe I literally got home just in time to prevent a burglary last night of my house.

This time though, I got a good look at them and what they were driving and they know it. Hopefully that's enough to discourage them from further interest.

Yes, I spoke to police.

Once the truck is running, and I'm driving it, I'm sure thieves will be looking to steal it.

*I've thought about rigging up one of these but the problem is you need a new truck every time someone tries to steal it.

https://cameronbarrettstewart.files....7-56-11-pm.png
Folks are hopped up on oxy up in your neck of the woods and doing crazy stuff I hear.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #9
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52napco View Post
I'm going to try the "tile" tracker.. No fees and approximately 2 year battery life. Their intended use is key's and wallets etc. They ping off other users cell phones with the app
so anyone with the app on their phone will pick up when close to the tracker and send you a notification where the tracker is located.
If you mean the white Tile thing on the iPhone, don't bother... the communication is Bluetooth so the range is like 15 feet. I wound up using it to find my Roomba under the bed, otherwise they're not very useful (IMHO).
Old 07-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #10
HUSTLESTUFF

I put one of these on my niece's Cuda I built for her.
http://www.rmtracking.com/
Forget now which one I used (maybe informer light) and not sure if my brother still has it operational, but worked very well.
HUSTLESTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:30 AM   #11
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSTLESTUFF View Post
Forget now which one I used (maybe informer light) and not sure if my brother still has it operational, but worked very well.
That looks great, thanks for the link.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:35 AM   #12
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Since I keep old vehicles forever, buying one with an annual fee doesn't work well for me. I read that Lojack now offers a "lifetime" service without annual fee, but it's about a thousand dollars, so not cheap.

Anyone know of a cheaper alternative that I don't have to renew every year?
Last time I looked into LoJack I found it only works in certain cities and is not nationwide service. So that makes me less interested. They work directly with police and claim to have a very high recovery rate 90%+. I wonder if their effectiveness is different for modern cars vs. classic cars.

No matter what GPS-based locator you choose it is going to need to use cell phone towers so that would require a fee or subscription. It may be OK to add an old iPhone to a family plan, active the Find Friends feature, and wire it into the truck somewhere. That would be about $10/month. I wonder if police would help if you handed a phone or iPad to them showing the location of the truck, or if they take LoJack much more seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSTLESTUFF View Post
This looks very interesting.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 07-24-2016 at 12:54 AM.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:44 AM   #13
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Last time I looked into LoJack I found it only works in certain cities and is not nationwide service. So that makes me less interested. They work directly with police and claim to have a very high recovery rate 90%+. I wonder if their effectiveness is different for modern cars vs. classic cars.

No matter what GPS-based locator you choose it is going to need to use cell phone towers so that would require a fee or subscription. It may be OK to add an old iPhone to a family plan, active the Find Friends feature, and wire it into the truck somewhere. That would be about $10/month. I wonder if police would help if you handed a phone or iPad to them showing the location of the truck, or if they take LoJack much more seriously.
I am not sure how seriously police take stolen cars at all. My brother got tired of waiting for the police to help so he went looking around town for one of his business trucks that had been stolen.

He found it in a driveway but when he called police to come, they refused and even tried to tell him not to touch it! My brother had a friend come to drive his truck back and he just picked up the stolen vehicle and drove it home then and there.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
tley

After having my truck stolen last year, I outfitted my replacement truck with this tracker:https://amzn.com/B00KNR2YZ4
and also getting full coverage insurance (through Hagerty). This tracker is a bargain at $28. You will need a SIM card (I got this for a penny: https://amzn.com/B013OUS19E
; this service cost me $10 every 3 months). Its pretty easy to install and setup. It operates by text message; I "call" my truck and it sends me a text message with GPS coordinates and link to google maps to pinpoint my truck. It has an alert that will text me if my truck leaves a predetermined area (geofence) and also alert if the power/battery is disconnected. It also has the ability to disable the ignition. I love this setup other than it not being able to give real time tracking for free; it will provide real time tracking but you have to sign up with a vendor to do that.
tley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #15
In The Ten Ring

That is neat, thanks. I'll bet it would fit under the seat and the wires could go under the rubber floor mat or even under the cab if necessary, right?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:01 PM   #16
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tley View Post
After having my truck stolen last year, I outfitted my replacement truck with this tracker:https://amzn.com/B00KNR2YZ4
and also getting full coverage insurance (through Hagerty). This tracker is a bargain at $28. You will need a SIM card (I got this for a penny: https://amzn.com/B013OUS19E
; this service cost me $10 every 3 months). Its pretty easy to install and setup. It operates by text message; I "call" my truck and it sends me a text message with GPS coordinates and link to google maps to pinpoint my truck. It has an alert that will text me if my truck leaves a predetermined area (geofence) and also alert if the power/battery is disconnected. It also has the ability to disable the ignition. I love this setup other than it not being able to give real time tracking for free; it will provide real time tracking but you have to sign up with a vendor to do that.
I am impressed with this GPS tracker, thanks for telling us about it. These things are interesting and surprisingly inexpensive. It seems there are several slightly different models with different features. This is the one I ended up with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0095BJZ7O
Old 07-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #17
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettelane View Post
I just read that 68 irons truck was stolen, we all know these trucks can be stolen fairly easy compared to the newer stuff, My motorcycle was stolen about two years ago and has never been found yet, thieves just piss me off i have bought a new one since and installed a tracker on it hidden very well its only about 2 inches long it sends me texts and email if it leaves outside a perimeter i've set, it has battery backup so if the battery is disconnected it will still work it even lets you know if the battery is low, you can real time track and see where all you've been, it would be cheap insurance for our trucks and when mine is done it will be getting one just letting everyone know whats out there.it costs like 120 bucks a year for monitoring. not sure about advertising for companys on this sight so i'm not putting the company name for the one i use. i almost forgot the tracker i purchased was about 75 dollars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post

This looks very interesting.
$10 a month = $120 a year

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #18
tley

The entire deal mounted under the dash completely out of site. I thought about running the GPS antenna and cell antenna to inside the cowl for better reception, but it was not necessary. I did the entire install just by removing the glove box insert.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #19
zach_carver

Ive also wondered what could be used.. I walked out of church the other day to find a guy with car trailer backed right up to my C10. It was locked, but once he seen me off he went! I did however get the tag number. haha. Not seen them since then.

LINK TO SUPER SNOOPY C10 BUILD---> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689283

1977 C10 SILVERADO HAWAIIAN BLUE, 5/5" DROP, LS6/4L80E

1976 CHEVY K5, 350/350, YUBA GOLD/SADDLE
zach_carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #20
StoningtonQB

I don't feel like posting this twice, but I left a good amount of information on this post:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...53#post7664253

Cheaper and easier than you think.
StoningtonQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #21
tley

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoningtonQB View Post
I don't feel like posting this twice, but I left a good amount of information on this post:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...53#post7664253

Cheaper and easier than you think.
Do you use the AccuTracking service? My tracker is compatible and this looks very reasonably priced... Do they have an App or is there website mobile friendly when you are tracking?
Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #22
StoningtonQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tley View Post
Do you use the AccuTracking service? My tracker is compatible and this looks very reasonably priced... Do they have an App or is there website mobile friendly when you are tracking?
Yes. I started using AccuTracking when the original Instamapper went under. Well worth the $6. Both have apps for Android and also the iPhone I believe. You can set how often the phone sends data up to the tracker. I think 60 seconds is more than fast enough. You can make if faster or slower, but if you set it too fast you will kill your battery and your data at the same time. Even 90 seconds is probably good enough. It's really up to you.
StoningtonQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #23
dmjlambert

That is interesting, thanks for that.
I wonder if the hardwired device mentioned by tley would work as a bring your own device with Freedompop. That would be cool.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #24
GR8-68

Here is another. http://thespystore.com/gps-surveilla...sGRxoCZunw_wcB

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #25
davepl

FWIW, I wound up going with LoJack. Of course it's not wise to TELL people that, but I trust all of you. And it'd take an hour to kill or get the transmitter out anyway after where I put it!

I found that on old vehicles the installer wants YOU to supply a spot. There are some requirements like antenna drop and so on, but it doesn't even need power. Behind the fuel tank anyone?