The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #1
dazza

automatic braking... wait... my truck is not autonomous!

On my way home from West Coast Natls yesterday doing about 70 when the truck started jumping/bouncing slightly, became much worse by the time I was able to get over two lanes and off to the side. Did a quick look around and found nothing so I thought I'd drive up to the next exit for a better look, although my truck thought otherwise, brake pedal was very stiff and my engine was fighting the brakes. Remembering some issues(more below) from last week, I shut off the engine and then brought her back up which released the brakes and everything was back to normal.
Back up to last week, I noticed a leak from the cap of my reservoir and the rubber seal had been partially sucked in. Cleaned, reseated and closed. After driving the next day, the same thing although a much worse leak (no more por-15 on the frame below). Cleaned everything up, searched, read a bunch regarding the problem, and followed a few peoples idea of making and installing a cork gasket just below the lid. Held up with no leaks, even after the self-applying incident on the way home yesterday.

Not sure what to do at this point, may flush the whole system.

BTW, this is a hydroboost setup.

Any ideas are appreciated.
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: automatic braking... wait... my truck is not autonomous!

Self-applied brakes can be caused by a MC that is too full, or a clogged vent in the MC.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post
On my way home from West Coast Natls yesterday doing about 70 when the truck started jumping/bouncing slightly, became much worse by the time I was able to get over two lanes and off to the side. Did a quick look around and found nothing so I thought I'd drive up to the next exit for a better look, although my truck thought otherwise, brake pedal was very stiff and my engine was fighting the brakes. Remembering some issues(more below) from last week, I shut off the engine and then brought her back up which released the brakes and everything was back to normal.
Back up to last week, I noticed a leak from the cap of my reservoir and the rubber seal had been partially sucked in. Cleaned, reseated and closed. After driving the next day, the same thing although a much worse leak (no more por-15 on the frame below). Cleaned everything up, searched, read a bunch regarding the problem, and followed a few peoples idea of making and installing a cork gasket just below the lid. Held up with no leaks, even after the self-applying incident on the way home yesterday.

Not sure what to do at this point, may flush the whole system.

BTW, this is a hydroboost setup.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Sounds like a no brainer have you called the people/place that sold it to you for a little help with your problem? If that doesn't work and it is still under Guarantee/Warranty take it back and or go back to whats been tried and true for decades. Sounds like some thing inside(a valve) stuck or is Sucking instead of Pushing/Building Pressure. Have you checked your Power Steering Pump is it working like it should flowing in the right direction? If all else fails you can always go with a Electric Powered Vehicle. LOL
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I would make sure that the brake pedal is coming back all the way and there are no brake lines routed near any of the exhaust.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Self-applied brakes can be caused by a MC that is too full, or a clogged vent in the MC.
This I did not know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I would make sure that the brake pedal is coming back all the way and there are no brake lines routed near any of the exhaust.

LockDoc
haha Leon, randomly throughout the day I've been thinking of you mentioning the heat issue in one of the threads about leaking caps at the reservoir. Going to check into that in a bit.
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote