The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
Sebambam

looking to build a Pickup, what model should i use?

Hi guys
1st of all thanks for having me here..
Im new to the chevy truck/Pickup scene, but im a GM A-Body guy (68 Buick GS)

i would like to get some input on my plan...

I would like to BUDGET build myself a daily dirver Patina/Protouring style Pickup, with DEFINITLY BIG tires in the rear (definitly bigger than 295"s..lol)

I have a full 01' GMC YUKON to pull parts from so i would like to go LS Motor and possibly reuse the trans etc.

So 1st question
what Pickup should i use? i dont mind longbed but prefer short bed of course
Im looking for a truck that i can get basicly everything out there on the aftermarket. ( i had big issues with my buick build regarding this)

the Car will be a Cool daily, so doesnt need to be top notch high performance,
of course i wanna beef it up and i will take the LS (Lm7 5.3) and work with it a bit (Cam, Headers, computer adjustments etc)
I want to keep the build pretty simple and possibly find a Pickup with great panels and a nice patina.. (im in CALI so there be a lot arround)
I know that the fuel system will have to be updated etc.
Front Discs are a must as well.

What models carry what rearend?
what model/Frame is good for such a build?

can i reuse the rear end and driveshaft of the Yukon maybe??

As mentioned above i would like to put big rubbers on the rear, slam the truck a bit ( Budget!! no costly Airride, even though Airride is cool but probably to expensive)
So Tubbing the bed is already in the plan since thats basicly the way to go for big rubber i heard?!
might be looking into 11-14 inch wide wheels in the rear depending if there are issues to fit it or not ( the bigger the better)

How big of a rubber can i have without running into frame issues?
What model is prestige for this kind of build ( C10??)

I would like to keep the option to haul stuff (not HD stuff) , But as said have it as a Daily

would be great to get some input and maybe some ideas!
Sebambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #2
seekhunt

Re: looking to build a Pickup, what model should i use?

World's your oyster with these things. Big engine compartments and mechanical interchangability really started happening from '60-'88.
Go online, look at the prices/ availability of body parts, then pick your model.
While I believe the '65 longbed was the handsomest truck made, mine (for 22 years) has been a '67 longbed 2wd. Slight design differences from say '60-'66 add a whole lot of interest to what you choose to come up with. You won't be disappointed, these trucks are simply great. Pete
seekhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
Eddie H.

I would recommend finding a 71 or 72 Chevy C10 or GMC 1500 since they came with front disc brakes from the factory. I would keep the original 12 bolt rear end and add a positrac carrier with 3:73 ratio gear set. You can swap the 5.3 engine and 4L60E trans from the Yukon fairly easily. The original C10 drive shaft should fit without modification if the C10 was originally equipped with a TH350. You will need to modify the fuel system and add the wiring harness and ECM for the fuel injected 5.3. Aftermarket parts are readily available for these trucks, so you can build it anyway you want to.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
Sebambam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post
I would recommend finding a 71 or 72 Chevy C10 or GMC 1500 since they came with front disc brakes from the factory. I would keep the original 12 bolt rear end and add a positrac carrier with 3:73 ratio gear set. You can swap the 5.3 engine and 4L60E trans from the Yukon fairly easily. The original C10 drive shaft should fit without modification if the C10 was originally equipped with a TH350. You will need to modify the fuel system and add the wiring harness and ECM for the fuel injected 5.3. Aftermarket parts are readily available for these trucks, so you can build it anyway you want to.
Thanks thats a great help...
what kind of rear do the pre 71 models have? 12 bolt as well??
do the 71-72 C20s have discs as well ( i assume)

Does anybody know for fact the biggest tire i can fit under the bed WITH BIGGER WELDS?
Sebambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebambam View Post
do the 71-72 C20s have discs as well ( i assume)
All 71-72's have front discs. If you want a short bed you will only find a factory short bed in a half ton.
the only thing I would caution you against on the C20 is make sure you are OK with your options for wheels when you go to the 8 lugger.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Overdriven

Most 67-72 c10 had truck 12 bolts but other rears were available. 67-70 rears are narrower than 71-72. Also notice I said "truck 12 bolt", as it is different from the 12 bolt found in passenger cars.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
truckster

If you want pro touring I'd definitely start with the C10 or GMC 1500. You're going to get a heavier truck with a 3/4 ton and that's not as good a starting point for what you want to build.

You should also be aware of the two different rear suspensions - most of the Chevy 1/2 ton trucks had trailing arms with coil springs, and the GMCs had leaf spring rears. That might also affect your decision.

When you ask about fitting tires with bigger welds, are you saying you're planning on tubbing the rear? You can fit any size tire you want if you're willing to spend the money to tub the rear and narrow the rear end.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:16 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

You looking to tow the Buick to the racetrack? That might make a difference in what you want to buy/build. Yes, I'm that Steeveedee!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:47 PM   #9
brad_man_72
the boat guy

If you're wanting all aftermarket suspension and brakes stock equipment doesn't really matter. Id avoid early 60s with the torsion bar front suspension and even earlier I beam front suspension if you're not up for a total redesign. There's definetly budget ways to get into pro touring with parts interchangeability. It all depends on your desired end result vs budget. There's some pretty decent complete chassis available from the aftermarket that are cheaper than piecing stuff together on a floppy old truck chassis.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote