The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
stikshooter

paw paws 72 rebuild

I am totally new to this site and rebuilding a pickup from frame up, but I am going to give it a try.
I have learned quite a bit from this forum in a couple of weeks since finding it. I have owned the truck since 1994 right after the death of my grandfather. I drove the truck till about 2003. Pretty much has been sitting since then,waiting on the time and money for a rebuild.
The truck is a Highlander package truck (found that out by this forum) and I all original. I have usually always tried to keep everything as original as possible, but I really want to cut the bed, remove the tank behind the seat and drop in a LS motor and keep everything else stock.
I never plan to sell the truck and will own it till they plant me. Here are some pics of what I started with and what I have done so far.
Attached Images

stikshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
stikshooter

Re: paw paws 72 rebuild

A few more
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
68bowtie

subscribed. awesome truck! unique color combo, and with the highlander is so cool. glad you're keeping it mostly factory. i would not do anything you can't undo (including cutting the frame). just my $.02!

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD

Last edited by 68bowtie; 07-29-2017 at 07:31 PM.
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
ApacheIvan

Subscribed. Talk to carsinc.com for your highlander seat cover!
Original Owner

** Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?**
ApacheIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
subscribed. awesome truck! unique color combo, and with the highlander is so cool. glad you're keeping it mostly factory. i would not do anything you can't undo (including cutting the frame). just my $.02!
x2 on the keep it original. Best thing you can do is keep it the way the SPID says it is. IMO cutting the frame cuts the value by as much as you cut out of it. Same with engine. Rebuild the original!
Original Owner

Old 07-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
stikshooter

Thanks for the advice on cutting the frame and rebuilding the motor in it. I have always liked the SWB 72's and most of the car guys around here think either go crate motor 350 or LS motor. I think it would be a lot cheaper rebuilding the motor and tranny in it vs the LS.
Is the Highlander package that big a deal ? worth more ? Sought after ?

Thanks,
Eric...
Old 08-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
ApacheIvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikshooter View Post
Thanks for the advice on cutting the frame and rebuilding the motor in it. I have always liked the SWB 72's and most of the car guys around here think either go crate motor 350 or LS motor. I think it would be a lot cheaper rebuilding the motor and tranny in it vs the LS.
Is the Highlander package that big a deal ? worth more ? Sought after ?

Thanks,
Eric...
Eric, I think the reason I say keep it original is because of it's history with your grandfather, when he bought the truck he could have bought a short bed, could have had any package he wanted, but he chose the highlander long bed with the drive train it has. Every option was chose by him. If it is a tribute to him and something to cherish in his memory, then IMO I say keep it as original as you can, if you want to make it your own and have no sentimental attachment to what he did or chose, cut it up change it out and make it as cool as you want! There as so many ways to make it your own, but he made it "his" by the cool color, highlander seat and drive train that suited him.. Have you seen this truck fully restored the way it came off the factory line.. one of the nicest trucks ever!
Original Owner

Old 08-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
Snake72

That's a well optioned, beautiful truck! Great family history too. I wanted to do the same thing to my Grandpa's truck... LS, shortbed, slammed and big wheels.... so glad I didn't. In my opinion, your truck would be a great candidate for factory restoration, hasn't been previously hacked up or hot rodded, highlander, tilt...is the engine original to the truck?

Rebuilding my engine was 3200, trans was 700...you could easily LS swap for that amount but I would restore that truck like your grandpa bought it.

But its your truck, do whatever makes you happy and go with it. Will look awesome either way.
Snake72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
stikshooter

he made it "his" by the cool color, highlander seat and drive train that suited him.. Have you seen this truck fully restored the way it came off the factory line.. one of the nicest trucks ever![/QUOTE]

I am probably the only one in the family that thinks the orange and white makes a great looking truck. My grandmother used to tell me she could'nt believe when he drove up in a orange truck, she said that's the ugliest color she had ever seen. HA HA. I think that might be why he kept it forever. He bought the truck in 74, so he was not the original owner.
Apache, I have photos of this truck when I was driving it in the early nineties, It has always been my pride and joy. Love the colors, would never change that.

Snake, I saw your build just when I was posting mine, and said me and him were wanting to do the same thing. Your build looks great.

I agree with everybody on not cutting the bed, going to do a mild build on the 350 motor swap to vortec heads and a better carb.
I really am thinking about swapping out the rear gears. 3.07 is whats in it now, wanted 3.73 .
Old 08-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #10
68bowtie

highlander package is not the rarest or most desirable 67-72 option, but it is definitely fairly rare, and fairly desirable, therefore imho more valuable and sought after.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote