The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
68Gold/white

Manual disc brake, no power assist, factory or converted, who has? likes, dislikes???

A member here is considering going to manual disc brakes. 71 and 72's came with manual disc brakes.
Seems to be confusion about proper master cylinder for a manual disc 71 or 72.

My Napa source is trusted by me. He show power and manual brakes in 71 and 72 to take SAME master cylinder. I bought one part number M2062.

I have read some here that likes the setup. Everyone is different. I plan to convert my 67 and 68 both to manual disc brakes. I like the idea of losing the booster, gaining back the working space under the hood. Although being a Chevrolet it won't need much work after the installation!!!

What's your take on this!!! If you have a variation of this manual setup, let us know. Any tips??
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
weim55

Re: Manual disc brake, no power assist, factory or converted, who has? likes, dislike

I have two trucks with manual discs. One is factory, 71 Half ton 2WD long box, The other is a 67 half ton SWB converted with 72 parts. I think the stopping performance of both is excellent considering the technology behind the brakes of the era. I’m 6 feet tall and have pretty long legs but even the more extreme angle of the manual brake pedal is OK and I don’t believe it uses excessive force to stop the truck. I’m happy with them and don’t feel I need to go power. That said bare in mind I grew up around things such as manual steering and brakes being completely normal and every day. They don’t feel out of place to me. And yes I like the simplicity that goes with it.

Steve weim55 Colorado

Last edited by weim55; 06-17-2020 at 08:47 PM.
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
68Stepbed

Re: Manual disc brake, no power assist, factory or converted, who has? likes, dislike

I have manual brakes!! They work quite well!!

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
ElKotze

I always liked manual brakes, disc or drum. I like my trucks simple and basic, but for the most part I like the "feel" of manual brakes, the feedback if you want.
'72 C20 Cheyenne Super, 396, TH400
'66 C60, 292, 4speed
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
Happy_dan

I am perfectly happy with my 4 wheel drum, manual brake system. I like the fact I have to actually push on the pedal and not just rest on it! But that is just me, for ease of use, I would think discs are easier for most, but I don't see a real need for power.
2012 Camaro ZL1
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
stomper

I just put manual disks on my 61 Bel Air. I love it! I'm currently doing a disc/drum conversion on my 67 C10. Only reason I'm using a booster is it's already attached to the master/proportioning valve a buddy gave me. Otherwise I'd just to manual disc/drum again.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
54blackhornet

Hi guys I have a 71 with factory disc’s up front, even have the disc brake decal on the tailgate. I had a heated discussion with my local Napa store owner. He’s insisting that his books only show one # ! He asked for the number stamped into my original master. I can’t find the number ? Can any help with the number for a original non power master cylinder ?
Old 06-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #8
SIXTY9

Here is a picture of a 72 Manual Master Cylinder for manual brakes with the part # on the bottom. As far as I know it is the original one on the truck I parted out. MADE IN USA - 29881
Attached Images

Last edited by SIXTY9; 06-19-2020 at 08:20 AM.
SIXTY9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:21 AM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

I can't speak directly to C10/20 manual disc brakes but on Pontiac A and F bodies there is a difference in the bore sizes of the master cylinders of manual and power brake systems. (As far as I know GM only offered manual disc brakes in 71 and 72) I became very aware of this when the manual brake master cylinder on my 72 Firebird when bad years ago. The parts store only had one part number for all applications listed but when I installed it that part my brake pedal was very hard to push and I had no real braking power. After going round and round for days I finally discovered that there was in fact two different master cylinders with different bore diameters. I was able to get the correct master cylinder part number from an old paper parts book from the 70's that correctly listed the bore sizes and applications. Once I had that part number I was able to obtain the correct master cylinder and once again had great brakes.
I'm only regurgitating this as I find it hard to believe (after this experience) that the master cylinder would be the same for manual and power brakes. Maybe 68stepbed would be able to share the bore size of his master cylinder and we could compare that to bore size of previously discussed master cylinder and prove my theory one way or the other.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #10
sammywells

Sixy9, can't quite make out the other numbers or name. can you let us know what they say.thanks
sammywells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #11
SIXTY9

Sammy,

The other #s are B or D 17/1. There is no name on it other than MADE IN USA. Also when I changed over to WILWOOD master cylinder there tech was sure it was a 1" bore.
SIXTY9 is offline   Reply With Quote