The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2003, 03:16 PM   #1
tallpaul_TX

Post New guy with a TON of questions

Before I get to my questions, I just wanted to say that this is my first post. I have been lurking on this board for the past few months educating myself for my first classic truck purchase, and this is by far the most informative and helpful board that I have found. You guys are great!! Allow me to apologize in advance for the long post...

Anyway...Enough of this touchy-feely stuff

I have found what is billed as a 1972 Super Cheyenne for sale at a local classic car lot. At first glance, it does appear to be a Super Cheyenne. The exterior has all the fender badges and upper/lower body moldings for a Super. However, the wood grained interior does NOT look like I would expect the trim to look. It is ACTUAL wood, and the stain and varnish finish is a little lighter than what I have seen in pictures. There is also an emblem about the size of a dime on the wood on the gauge cluster that say "American Wood Products" (or something to that effect). Also, the Super Cheyenne emblem is missing from the glove box. Was the wood trim on a real Super actual wood, or just synthetic stuff made to look like wood, and is that emblem common?

The thing that tipped me off is the option code I found in the glove box, Z84. I think Z84 is for the Cheyenne package only, and there is a different code for a Super Cheyenne (YE9 or something). Is this correct?

Another code I am curious about is B85 for body side molding. Is this a code for just lower molding, upper molding, or both. I am thinking that if since they added the wood trim inside, then they may have added some extra body trim outside to make it look like a Super.

This truck has bucket seats with a center console that match the color and the age of the truck. Could buckets be optioned seperately from the Cheyenne or Super Cheyenne packages? If so what is the option code I should look for.

All the other option codes seem to match the truck. The paint code is correct (542), there are extra guages for Tach/Oil/Temp/battery that match the option codes. It is a 350 with a TH400 (M49). PS, PB, AC (not working).

(EDIT) It is a shortbed fleetside...

Odometer reads 47,450 miles.

How can I tell if the motor is original and numbers matching? Where do I find the block codes? And are there any other cowl tags or plates to look for for codes/model numbers, etc.??

Either way it is still a nicely optioned Cheyenne with a little custom wood work done on the interior (which looks INCREDIBLE by the way).

Is there a website or a book that you guys would recommend for looking up option codes?

The paint looks original and is in good condition. Where do I look for tell-tale signs of rust? The bed is a little rough, but no rust holes. The rockers look in good shape. Should I remove the carpet around the edge to inspect it furter?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance, guys!!!

Paul

Last edited by tallpaul_TX; 12-30-2003 at 03:24 PM.
tallpaul_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:30 PM   #2
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Hi and welcome. Can't answer all but off the top of my head...

1. The woodgrain as from factory would be vinyl stick-on applique, not real woord.

2. The glovebox emblem should read "Cheyenne" with "Super" on it too.

3. There is little difference between a Cheyenne and a Super other than the woodgrain appliques, a chrome tailgate handle cover (fleetsides), and the glovebox/fender emblems.

4. Bucket seats were a separate option having nothing to due with the trim level package.

5. I think the Cheyenne RPO code would be on both a Cheyenne and a Super's glovebox.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:43 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Canj't add more than what CPNE said other than welcome to the board.

Far as rust goes, If they let you I would check every nook and cranny I can just so I know what I might be facing.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:46 PM   #4
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
How can I tell if the motor is original and numbers matching? Where do I find the block codes? And are there any other cowl tags or plates to look for for codes/model numbers, etc.??
The VIN and globe box is all you can go by unless the build sheet is still with the truck. Go to mortec for engine ID info

Old 12-30-2003, 04:14 PM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:27 PM   #6
LeRoy
Registered truck nut

Welcome. The easiest way to get an accurate date code that I know of is to get the numbers off the passenger side head bank.
Should read something like 8793797TPD. The last 3 letters indicate year and displacement.
-If the seats are original and not recovered. You might find the original build sheet inbetween the seat springs on the back rest or under the seat
-Sounds like they probably want plenty for this truck so I'd sure pull the carpet up on the corners and check for rust, also under the battery in the rad. support and lower fender pocket, around the windshield gaskets ect.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:39 PM   #7
J.Lance
Too many is never enough!

headliner

Sure give away if it was just a Cheyenne or a Super would be a headliner. Supers have it and plain Cheyennes did not. The headliner trim is attached into square hole in the roof. If there is no headliner with no holes, probably just a Cheyenne. Also, for '72, a Super would have wood grain panels in the plastic door panels with chrome trim around it while a Cheyenne would just have the chrome trim with no would grain panel.

You'll want to make sure the v.i.n. matches between the tag and the drivers side frame horn also. As far as the buckets, look underneath the truck. Trucks with factory buckets had the correct holes with support plates and welded nuts. If the seats are bolted down with say nuts and lock washers with no reinforcement plate, they were probably added later. Also, there would be extra holes where the bench seat originally bolted. Well, good luck with all of that. By far the hardest thing to replicate on a Super is the way the headliner fastens to the roof. Other than that, everything else can be added easily.

Jason

1968 K10 SWB Fleetside
1971 K2500 GMC LWB
1968 K20 (later frame, donor body)
1972 C20 LWB parts truck
1993 K2500 Suburban, tow rig, 454, 4L80E
NEW!! 18' Siem's car hauler
2004 Honda Odyssey (family man!)
J.Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:43 PM   #8
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: headliner

Quote:
Originally posted by J.Lance
Sure give away if it was just a Cheyenne or a Super would be a headliner. Supers have it and plain Cheyennes did not. The headliner trim is attached into square hole in the roof. If there is no headliner with no holes, probably just a Cheyenne. Also, for '72, a Super would have wood grain panels in the plastic door panels with chrome trim around it while a Cheyenne would just have the chrome trim with no would grain panel.

You'll want to make sure the v.i.n. matches between the tag and the drivers side frame horn also. As far as the buckets, look underneath the truck. Trucks with factory buckets had the correct holes with support plates and welded nuts. If the seats are bolted down with say nuts and lock washers with no reinforcement plate, they were probably added later. Also, there would be extra holes where the bench seat originally bolted. Well, good luck with all of that. By far the hardest thing to replicate on a Super is the way the headliner fastens to the roof. Other than that, everything else can be added easily.

Jason
Good info on the bucket mounts and frame vin, but I take exception to the headliner and door panels. Cheyennes had headliners and woodgrain door panels too, not just supers.

I've parted out several cheyennes (not supers) and they all had these pieces.

Old 12-30-2003, 06:05 PM   #9
tallpaul_TX

I really appreciate all the responses. Aside from the physical trim differences between a Cheyenne and Super Cheyenne, there MUST be some sort of option code difference. Otherwise, how would the factory know which options to include???

Does anyone have a book that they could recommend for decoding all the options available on the 67-72 model trucks??

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2003, 07:08 PM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

From my '69 Dealers Truck Data book...

Z84 is the code for Custom Sport Truck. It included full-depth foam seat with deluxe vinyl trim; carpeting; chromed front bumper; CST emblems; door trim panels; cigar lighter; headliner; bright side marker reflectors; cargo area lamp; bright control knob and pedal trim, rear window, vent window, and windshield moldings and special insulation.

B85 is the upper fender, door, cab panel and pickup box moldings, bright tail light trim and fuel filler cap. It was additional to the Z84 trim package.

BX2: lower fender, door, cab panel moldings and bright fuel filler cap was included when CST is ordered.

It should have VF1 - chromed rear bumper.

A50 is the code for bucket seats, including the console and carpeting. It was not available when ordering Custom Comfort and Appearance trim, but could be ordered without CST, or with CST. Weird, huh?

There are other codes on the glove box door, I am sure. Let me know and I'll let you know what they are (for '69) but GM carried those codes over as they still do. For instance, C60 is still A/C.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 12-30-2003 at 07:11 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:55 PM   #11
landon4421
Life is Good !

welcome aboard ! That is all the ifo I can give you ! Other than go over the truck with a fine tooth comb and find all the rust spots, check the frame for cracks ect. I bought my first 4x4 and the frame was cracked in like 5 spots. I jumped in head first on that deal ! Just becareful ! Landon4421
'14 Honda Accord Sport "commuter"
landon4421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:08 PM   #12
71HUGGER396
Confirmed Truckaholic

Welcome to the board. If you have ???, this is the place for answers.
71HUGGER396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:57 PM   #13
dion
72 Cheyenne

welcome to the board! just curious, how much are they asking for it?
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:01 PM   #14
1971 Cheyenne

Can't help much, but CPNE is correct, Cheyennes have headliners. Mine is totally stock and it has one.
1983 M1009 CUCV Military K5 Blazer
1981 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 dually flatbed
1971 Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:10 PM   #15
Gordo

Smile

Welcome from Connecticut! This is the place.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:32 PM   #16
dinnut

as for rust.... id look under the cab for rust... at the rockers and the floor pan, its easier to look from underneath sometimes...

i think the original woodgrain trim looked the one on my dash. dont pay attention to anything else in this pics. its a little faded too.
its obvious they have added wood to the dash and such. find out why the a/c doesnt work if you can. check the bottom of the front of the fenders for rust. the back of the fenders (mine are rusted out in front and rear lol) rockers, floor, tailgate on the inside sometimes rust will come thru
what wheels does it have? does it have original steelies with full wheel covers or what?

hope you buy a nice truck when and if you buy one!

and welcome to the board
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2003, 09:55 PM   #17
tallpaul_TX

Thanks for the information. I am going to go back over and talk to the guy at lunch tomorrow and see if he'll let me take some pictures. I'll see if I can remember to post a few...

Dinnut, it does have the original steel wheels with covers...

Dion, he's asking $6,000. That's why I'm asking questions of you guys so that I have some ammo to talk him down with.

I looked up the engine block codes, and it's the original numbers matching 350.

IMHO, I think this may be a really good deal if I can talk him down a bit, especially for an original, numbers matching Super Cheyenne SWB in pretty good shape. I've looked all over the internet (autotrader, ebay, hemmings, etc.) to find a comparable vehicle for a comparable price and most things are going for twice this amount. THERE MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT ;-)

Have a good evening!!

Paul
Old 12-30-2003, 10:06 PM   #18
dinnut

6k is a steal for that swb cheyenne if it looks as good as you say it does! i say get it for one!
Old 12-30-2003, 10:16 PM   #19
tallpaul_TX

I'm still in the process of convincing the wife

I think she'll see the light....
Old 12-30-2003, 11:45 PM   #20
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Welcome to the board hop ethe wife see's the light.

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:46 PM   #21
dinnut

i too hope your wife sees the light. these trucks are great im sure she will get into it also a little bit...
Old 12-31-2003, 12:18 AM   #22
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

In reference to your question on a book.I have found the Chevrolet Pickup Red Book to be a handy sized volumn.It has production #'s, some option and paint codes and data and is pocket sized(kinda). I think I gave $10.95 for it at Barnes & Noble.
As with any publication the info is probably accurate but should be taken with a grain of salt.
I once saw a hugger Orange truck with a maroon interior.The owner claimed it was factory but I can't believe anyone would want such an ugly color combination.
Good luck on convincing the Mrs. to accept your new addiction.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:50 AM   #23
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Welcome to the group.
If you can't get her to see the light...at least don't let her see the dark empty box that you used to keep the $6,000 in.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 03:33 AM   #24
72shadetree
KEEP ON TRUCKING

welcome sounds like a deal

71 k20 sons

bassett va
72shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 03:43 AM   #25
J.Lance
Too many is never enough!

Re: Re: headliner

Quote:
Originally posted by CPNE

Good info on the bucket mounts and frame vin, but I take exception to the headliner and door panels. Cheyennes had headliners and woodgrain door panels too, not just supers.

I've parted out several cheyennes (not supers) and they all had these pieces.
My apologies, I was thinking custom deluxe! I hate when I give bad info.! Thanks for the correction.

Jason

1968 K10 SWB Fleetside
1971 K2500 GMC LWB
1968 K20 (later frame, donor body)
1972 C20 LWB parts truck
1993 K2500 Suburban, tow rig, 454, 4L80E
NEW!! 18' Siem's car hauler
2004 Honda Odyssey (family man!)
J.Lance is offline   Reply With Quote