The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
jmcmahon

9C1 axle swap for 5 lug swap

Has anyone ever used a 10 bolt axle out of a 9C1 Caprice on their truck before? I am planning on converting my '69 to five lug and was thinking of options on how to change the rear axle to 5 lug. I have seen axles for old cop cars pretty cheap, they have posi diff, they already have the 5 on 5 lug pattern, and rear disc brakes. I believe that they are a little narrower then my current axle but the saving of already having rear disc brakes and a posi diff I think is worth the work to install it in my rear coil spring truck. I have also heard that these axles are pretty strong so that shouldn't be anything to worry about in my half ton. Any one have an opinion on this?
jmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:18 PM   #2
Blue Beard

Haven't heard of that swap....but keep us posted on the change...
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:36 AM   #3
Putter
More Cowbell....

Plus, if it is a little narrower, then that leaves a little room for wider wheels/tires....or just a different offset.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
miket

Re: 9C1 axle swap for 5 lug swap

Quote:
Originally posted by jmcmahon
Has anyone ever used a 10 bolt axle out of a 9C1 Caprice on their truck before? I am planning on converting my '69 to five lug and was thinking of options on how to change the rear axle to 5 lug. I have seen axles for old cop cars pretty cheap, they have posi diff, they already have the 5 on 5 lug pattern, and rear disc brakes. I believe that they are a little narrower then my current axle but the saving of already having rear disc brakes and a posi diff I think is worth the work to install it in my rear coil spring truck. I have also heard that these axles are pretty strong so that shouldn't be anything to worry about in my half ton. Any one have an opinion on this?
I thought of it a while back and since I have a 94 9C1 it made sense. However I did not get to the point of measuring things out...some other issues deflated my interest in doing this. The first is these axles routinely do not come with POSI, its an option...I won't say it's rare but they are not as common as you think. Second they have disk brakes so there will be some extra attention needed to address this. but this is a good thing as well. Third, I believe the axle hardware is different.

Nothing major but for me, a $350 eaton posi unit is much less of a challenge than a whole axle from a 9C1. I can point you to some websites and forums if you want to look further for a rear end. BTW the 9C1 rears are narrower than the civilian caprice and Impala SS units....Impala SS units are posi.

In addition if you do find a 9C1 rear with posi...odds are it is probably worn and needs replacement.

Evergreen Protective Coatings
Gatorhyde...the best kept secret in spray in bed lining & protection

Last edited by miket; 04-14-2004 at 03:52 PM.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

The Impala SS came with a Posi 3.08 rear for the 94-96 production run. I have a 96 and if it ever stops raining I will measure it. I would love to have discs in the rear and this may work. ECE sells the saddles to convert for our trailing arms.
The only thing with the Impala/9C1 rear, I was told that the Posi units are not rebuildable. You would end up buying an aftermarket Posi when the OE fails so that you can rebuild as needed...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 04-14-2004 at 03:39 PM.
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote