The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2016, 03:03 AM   #1
C17FCC

New to forum and truck

Hello all, like the title says I am new to this forum and also new to this truck. I will start by saying I have not even had the chance to see the truck in person (I am currently deployed) the truck was dropped off at my house by a family friend.

Here is what I do know about the truck and kind of where I want to go with it.
It is a 1970 GMC, it has the 350 V8, automatic, 3/4 ton, 2wd and is in a rough running condition (will start and drive but needs work). I would like to get this thing running like a champ and throw a bit of power at it, nothing too crazy but I want to have fun with it.

Now I have never owned a truck older than 2003 prior to this so it is all new to me. I don't know where to start, what I should be looking for, what adds the best bang for the buck, what should be updated and what should be left alone. I am a mechanic by trade through the military so I am fairly confident in my abilities to do all the work myself.

I guess I am looking for some guidance as to where I should start and what I could possibly start looking at even while I am over seas, maybe some simple replacement parts that all these things need. Now I am NOT looking to chrome out the whole engine bay and make this a show truck by any means, I just want it to run strong and powerful. Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Attached Images

C17FCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
dazza

Re: New to forum and truck

Nice truck, exterior looks solid (California truck maybe?). It even looks as if it still has the factory markings on the firewall.

I'm going to assume your baby is in Fairfield or near Travis AFB along with your significant other and children? I believe there are a few members here that are in or near Fairfield as well, I'm about an hour away in East Contra Costa.

I'll give you a warning in regards to something you said...
"Now I am NOT looking to chrome out the whole engine bay and make this a show truck by any means"
Many here, myself included, have previously said similar things, and many here, myself included, have strayed from their statements. It's not my fault I couldn't live up to what I said, it's that damn unseen, incessant force that keeps saying "it's not done yet", or for many others here, "you only own x amount of them, you need another truck"

I think my statement of intent was something about fixing that little scratch on the rear bumper and to see why I had a few drops of oil on the garage floor. Seven or so years later I drive her out of the garage while friends are asking me if I'm really going to drive it? You bet, and if it gets damaged, then I get to fix it!!

The one thing you have to fall back on though, is that any issue you come across with your truck, you can bet somebody on here has had the same or very similar problem and more than likely you will find an answer here (from the friendly and knowledgeable!)

Welcome!
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:05 AM   #3
C17FCC

It is a California truck, and solid guess on the location as well dead on.

I made sure I covered myself by saying I wasn't 'looking' to do it, now if I end up doing it I wont say I went back on my plan haha.

For the most part though I just want to make it run and sound like a beast. I have been looking through the forums here and have been getting some ideas, but until I get back and see what I am actually dealing with I wont know where to start. Kinda why I was hoping someone might be able to fill me in on parts that will require or are highly recommended to be replaced/upgraded reguardless.

I appreciate the support and insight, I am really looking forward to wrenching on this thing when I get home, auto maintenance is a budding hobby of mine since I purchased my first diesel last year. I work on aircraft for the Air Force so I'm not shy around a tool box and oil/grease.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #4
C17FCC

Now that I posted that I see that it says my location under my name ha.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
68bowtie

cool truck. first off, don't paint it! search the forum for CLR and patina, that old oxidized paint should shine right up!

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

First off to the forum and thanks for your service to our great country!

OK, here's my thoughts on it, for what it's worth. For me first off would be to go through the brakes, drive line and steering. Get it running good the way it is and see what you've got. It may run better than you think. After you get those things sorted out drive it for a while to see if it is really what you want, before you get too deep into it.

Unless the paint is a lot worse than it looks I wouldn't touch it with CLR. Get some Turtle Wax White Polishing Compound and go over it by hand. (no buffer) then give it a couple of coats of a good brand of wax. You will be surprised how well that old paint will clean up.....

After you have driven it for a while and give it some good thought, you will know what it really needs and what direction you want to go with it.

What ever you decide to do keep us posted on the progress.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
Marshy

Welcome to the forum. Nice truck with a nice patina. Thanks for your service also.

If I were you, I would plan on taking the whole engine out and giving it a fresh start. At least check the lower end bearings to make sure you have a good foundation to start adding power to. Who knows how it has been treated and since it runs rough to begin with and if you want to add power you should make sure it will handle the new power.

We could suggest a lot of options but you need to figure out first if you have any goals or a budget. Some people want to keep the stock appearing motor or era correct components. Some want modern components but some just want cheap power. If you are going into the lower end and need to bore the cylinders you might want to consider doing a 383 stroker...
Edelbrock: Performer Intake 2116, 1405 Carb
Long tube headers, 2.5" duals to Flow Master Super 40's
Vortec Engine Build
Marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:04 AM   #8
C17FCC

Thank you all for the advice and tips, I really appreciate it. My first goal will definitely be to get it running right and see what exactly I am working with. Once I get back I should be able to quickly find out what it needs since I'll be talking to the previous owner that gave it to me.

I'll take as much advice on this as I can get and nothing is off the table yet as far as budget and I have plenty of time to get it all done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #9
C17FCC

Ok probably a stupid question and I might already know the answer but is this a C15 or a C25? or something else entirely? I go to sites and look up parts and I don't see Sierra or anything as an option so I assume that's not what it was called back in the 70's. I see C15/25/35 and K15/25/35, like I said I am really new to this age of truck and manufacturer in general so any help is grealy appreciated. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #10
Marshy

To my knowledge, 2 wheel drive Chevy and GMC trucks were 'C' models and the 4x4 trucks were 'C' models. Chevy used 10/20/30 for the 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks while GMC used 15/25/35 for 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks. You can check your glove door it might have the build sheet which will tell you all the options that the truck was ordered with. If that not available you would have to decode the Vin.
Vortec Engine Build
Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #11
C17FCC

thank you for the info. Guess that would make mine the C25
Old 08-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #12
Marshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
To my knowledge, 2 wheel drive Chevy and GMC trucks were 'C' models and the 4x4 trucks were 'K' models. Chevy used 10/20/30 for the 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks while GMC used 15/25/35 for 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks. You can check your glove box door it might have the build sheet which will tell you all the options that the truck was ordered with. If that not available you would have to decode the Vin.
One small typo... see in bold.
Vortec Engine Build
Old 08-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #13
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Thanks for your service and welcome to the forum. I live in Fairfield and know of a few other members in the Fairfield / Vacaville area. Let me know when you get back and we'll look it over. Be safe out there.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #14
C17FCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Thanks for your service and welcome to the forum. I live in Fairfield and know of a few other members in the Fairfield / Vacaville area. Let me know when you get back and we'll look it over. Be safe out there.
absolutely will do man! thanks for the support as well
Old 08-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #15
creekncabin

Thank-You for your service, and Be Safe
creekncabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #16
C17FCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekncabin View Post