The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
twoskies

patina or repaint

hi guys
got a 1972 c10 medium green paint, original 350 4 bolt main, 4 speed, posi rearend, power brakes, power steering, am/fm slide bar radio, kinda like the patina but in indiana we all work on rust, so im taking bed off to fix rust on bed and then i can lift cab and fix corners rockers and outer floor pans also bushings while ive got it apart, already have new inner and outer fenders, core support, new radiator, guess my question is has any here just repaired rusty areas and tried to leave original paint alone as much as possible, ill post pictures as soon as i get token, but if anyone has a truck that has been mostly left alone on paint,would like to see welded panels against original paint ,maybe cleared (although from what ive read, clearing over old paint wont last),,post to this thread

thanks
Old 06-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
benbloom

Re: patina or repaint

If your willing to compromise, using clr rust removal is obviously a very effective way to reduce the rust where you don't like it, and then use some sort of patina protector which you can buy online, or a clear coat over the patina. All the best, and patina love!
Posted via Mobile Device
benbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: patina or repaint

If I put that work into it I would paint it. Your in Indiana and I doubt your rust is minor. Fix it right and enjoy for a long time. Patina got started with survivors too good to restore, just burnt paint. Then people started thinking surface rust was Patina, which it is, but just worse paint. In the end, you should decide what's best for you and do what you like without worrying what everyone does. That is the difference between a trend setter and a follower.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote