The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Rob Fisher

Upgrading brakes and suspension on my 1964 GMC

I would like to start by thanking all of you that welcomed me into the forum.
I have been doing some research and everyone seems to have a different idea on how to modify the suspension on my 1964 GMC. I have read that you can also bolt in the complete front crossmember from newer trucks which would give me power disc brakes up front. Can anybody confirm and let me know what year would be best to use.
Thanks
Rob Fisher
Rob Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Upgrading brakes and suspension on my 1964 GMC

What you want is from a '71-'87 C10 Pickup, Suburban or 2wd Blazer. Use what ever you can find locally that fits in that year range. You don't have to use any aftermarket parts unless you want to.

There are several threads here on doing this swap. Here's one that has good info....

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...c+brake+thread
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
Rob Fisher

Thank you very much for the quick reply.
Like I said there seems to be a ton of information out there and it is tough to find the right stuff. You seem to know your way around this forum pretty well.
Is there any information on doing a rear end swap with disc brakes? I f you can send me in the right direction that would be great.
One other question for you, 5 or 6 lug, which is preferred, there seems to be great debate about it.
Thanks again for your help.
Rob Fisher
Old 12-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Since your GMC has the leafs in the rear, is it safe to assume you have the Dana 44 rear differential? If so I believe you will need to swap the entire differential to have rear disc brakes. If you were to switch to a truck 12 bolt differential, I sell the brackets to install disc brakes on that rear with a 5 lug bolt pattern. I may offer a 6 lug rear disc in the future. As an option on rear brakes, you can upgrade to the backing plates, drums and all internals from a '75(?) to '79-'80 K10. They are drums but are 1/2" wider that the '74 and earlier drum brakes

I agree that the 5 or 6 lug debate boils down to what wheels you want to run and their available bolt pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Fisher View Post
Thank you very much for the quick reply.
Like I said there seems to be a ton of information out there and it is tough to find the right stuff. You seem to know your way around this forum pretty well.
Is there any information on doing a rear end swap with disc brakes? I f you can send me in the right direction that would be great.
One other question for you, 5 or 6 lug, which is preferred, there seems to be great debate about it.
Thanks again for your help.
Rob Fisher
Old 03-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Rob Fisher

Thanks for all the good information that you are sending me.
I would like to order one of your power steering conversion brackets.
I have never used PayPal before so maybe you can walk me through it.
I live in Canada but I have a US address in Blaine,Washington that I will have you send the parts to.

Could you also answer a couple of other questions for me.
What year of power steering box do I use and which pitman arm?
Is there a quicker ratio power steering box available that you know of?
Also if I want to swap out my current 10 bolt Dana 44 6 lug rearend for a 12 bolt 5 lug rear end what year would I get it from.
If I do this I should probably order the brackets that you offer to convert the drums to disc brakes. Can you tell me what brakes I would use to do this.
Thanks again for all your help.
Rob Fisher

Rob, I edited out your personal information. You can contact Captainfab thru a PM with your address/phone number, etc. Just click on his name in gold, then you'll see the option "send a private message to captainfab"
Oh, and welcome to the forum !!

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 03-01-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Edit out personal information
Old 03-02-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Hello Rob

If you send me a PM I will help you get a payment method figured out.

For a steering box and pitman arm you will need one from a '69-'87 C10 or C20 pickup, Suburban or 2wd Blazer. It is easiest if you get the steering pump from the same year truck if possible. The '69 to around '81 used SAE fittings and then up to '87 they were metric with an O ring. It is just easier to get hoses if both are the same style. I'm not aware of a quicker ratio in a truck steering box.

You will want to find a 12 bolt from a '71-'82 C10. You could also use the 10 bolt from '83-'87. Both will be 1 1/2 inches wider though. This typically isn't an issue for most guys.....3/4" per side. When swapping the rear ends, you will likely have to move the spring perches to match your springs as well as the shock mounts. Regarding the rear disc brakes, do you need to have an e-brake to pass inspection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Fisher View Post
Thanks for all the good information that you are sending me.
I would like to order one of your power steering conversion brackets.
I have never used PayPal before so maybe you can walk me through it.
I live in Canada but I have a US address in Blaine,Washington that I will have you send the parts to.

Could you also answer a couple of other questions for me.
What year of power steering box do I use and which pitman arm?
Is there a quicker ratio power steering box available that you know of?
Also if I want to swap out my current 10 bolt Dana 44 6 lug rearend for a 12 bolt 5 lug rear end what year would I get it from.
If I do this I should probably order the brackets that you offer to convert the drums to disc brakes. Can you tell me what brakes I would use to do this.
Thanks again for all your help.
Rob Fisher

Rob, I edited out your personal information. You can contact Captainfab thru a PM with your address/phone number, etc. Just click on his name in gold, then you'll see the option "send a private message to captainfab"
Oh, and welcome to the forum !!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
jgarverick

i'd say it mostly depends on what wheel you want to run and how much you want to spend/work. going to 5 lug in the front is pretty easy. but going to 5 in the rear is a bit more involved as the axles must be swapped along with the drums, or the entire rearend must be replaced with a later model. of you want some 5 spoke wheels lite cragars or torque thrusts then you almost have to have 5.

64 C10 SWB Stepside 350/muncie - 5.3 vortec (soon)Thread
69 AMC Javelin 360/auto - 417 stroker (soon)
68 Scout (Basketcase)
06 Ram HEMI SWB Reg Cab Daily Driver

US Army Vet
jgarverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:48 AM   #8
62gmc910

Rob is that a canadian GMC (coil rear) or US leaf rear ???
63 GMC 950 camperized school bus, (Gus the bus)
350 4speed 2 speed rear
64 GMC 950 "spare" bus 283? 4speed detroit locker
53 GMC 1ton dual wheel bus
78 GMC c25 short course off road race truck(son's truck)
355 th400 14 bolt (www.wheel2wheel.ca)
88 Peterbilt 379 longhood (hauls race truck)
62gmc910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:56 AM   #9
Rob Fisher

It is a US GMC with leaf springs in the rear, The one my father had was a Canadian GMC with coils in the back, the same as the US Chevy's.
Merry Christamas.
Rob