The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
QKENUF4U

Question propane conversions......

anyone here convert to propane ? just trying to get some first hand experience on cost etc. i have driven propane fueled trucks (city of glendale) and did notice a power loss but im more worried about emissions here in phoenix. i know my big block wont pass forever so i want to get a jump on the problem now.
any info is apprieciated.
thanks
lance
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Re: propane conversions......

I know that propane burns cleaner so it should pass emissions with no worries, I don't know about cost tough.

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
pumpkin

Propane does not burn any cleaner. Depending on the engine, your cost per mile may not be noticable. The more eficiant is is on gas the less savings on propane. Ford 300 sixes run terrible, carbed on gas, but when you covert them to propane, the have more power and better economy. Chevy's, run quite well on gas and usually loose noticable power, and less economy. It takes a fair price difference to see a savings. Propane being a gas also has no cooling effect for the valves, which tends to drasticaly shorten valve and valve guide life. With the cost of a conversion being $2500 and up it would take a long time to see savings.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
72gmcworker

My experience and 2 cents
Been using propane in my '80 chev c20HD 4x4 350ci for the last 15 years or so.
You must re-do the heads for propane. Then you must add more compression like say 10.5 to 1. I've used a gas motor for a while whilst my propane motor was waiting for replacement heads and compression makes a HUGE difference in power output...8-1 does not make any power on propane.
Right now I have '78 P/U 305ci heads on the 350 propane motor and that made it work even better (higher comp.)
Propane is a excellent choice if you can bear the front end costs of conversion and motor upgrades. But you will still loose about 20% on mileage as propane has less energy per gallon than gasoline. Is it worth it....for me I bought a ,72 GMC 3/4 ton to replace the '80 as a work truck cause here the rules and regs for propane are stupid (cause a few taxis blew up) and when you need to Cert the vehicle every year a propane commercial vehicle ain't worth the aggravation for me.
So the '80 is a personal use winter transporter.
But I like propane as a fuel choice...if only the gov. would stop with the regs..
Besides if I had a choice between a gas explosion or a propane explosion I'd take the propane....at least it's one big bang as opposed to getting showered with liquid gasoline after the vapours go off.
72gmcworker is offline   Reply With Quote