The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
fastcam1
Young gun

Hard line for airbags?

Anyone here made hard lines for their project? I'm gonna be making all new brake lines soon and wondered if I could make the air lines too, anyone know of any pros or cons also what would I do for the fittings? Any input would be great!
Posted via Mobile Device

Northwest C10's
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Norhtwestc10s/
Cameron sparks
fastcam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Re: Hard line for airbags?

Make sure you run braided line from the hard line to the bags, you will need flex in the line to prevent leaks...
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
texastrendz

If the air bag is hard mounted to the frame, why would you need a flex line to the air bag to the frame. I have ran hard lines to the air bag with no issues. Just wondering why you would suggest this?
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
funkytechmonkey

That is interesting... I am curious too.

The only issue I would be worried about it how to run the hard line into the valves.
Boyd Welds Gas tank and mild c-notch.
Click here to view my build
funkytechmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
PBFAB.COM

Prior to working with Nate my air suspension backround is quite extensive, My past experience with hard line with no flex results in misc. leaks due to the chassis flexing, road vibration etc... your experiences may have been better, but from personal, friends, and customer experiences I would recommend running braided in between... This is just a suggestion and not scripture :-)
Old 01-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Direct View Post
Prior to working with Nate my air suspension backround is quite extensive, My past experience with hard line with no flex results in misc. leaks due to the chassis flexing, road vibration etc... your experiences may have been better, but from personal, friends, and customer experiences I would recommend running braided in between... This is just a suggestion and not scripture :-)
Its almost scripture. Every factory air system i have scene in my shop has a flex line to it. Everything moves and twists. Just use the flex and save some trouble.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
chevyrestoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Direct View Post

100% true for both air and fuel applications.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
texastrendz

That is interesting... I am not arguing the point at all. I just have been in the Air suspension scene for a long time and have never ever seen a flex line(besides DOT tube, which I am not a fan of) from a hard line to an Air Bag. Maybe I have overlooked them, but we use copper and aluminum line with a very high success rate without a flex line.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
dznucks

The pros outweigh the cons of doing this, in my opinion. My biggest issue with my air bag system was the thought of a line blowing and being left on the side of the road. You never know when some rock or road debris is going to get kicked up and puncture a line. The piece of mind is priceless.

If you can find the correct ID and OD of copper or aluminum line, it should plug right in to the quick-connect fittings like the plastic lines. Accuair makes some fittings that plug in to quick connect style fittings and convert to AN fittings.

The down side to hard lines are the cost and the time it takes to bend it right. You need multiple fittings at every connection. They can get pricey when you got to have numerous connections in your system. For vehicles that will see any considerable amount of milage you will want to use flex lines to the bags and any other component that is hard mounted. Look in your Jegs or Summit catalog, in the fittings section, to get an idea of the fittings and prices.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
The pros outweigh the cons of doing this, in my opinion. My biggest issue with my air bag system was the thought of a line blowing and being left on the side of the road. You never know when some rock or road debris is going to get kicked up and puncture a line. The piece of mind is priceless.

If you can find the correct ID and OD of copper or aluminum line, it should plug right in to the quick-connect fittings like the plastic lines. Accuair makes some fittings that plug in to quick connect style fittings and convert to AN fittings.

The down side to hard lines are the cost and the time it takes to bend it right. You need multiple fittings at every connection. They can get pricey when you got to have numerous connections in your system. For vehicles that will see any considerable amount of milage you will want to use flex lines to the bags and any other component that is hard mounted. Look in your Jegs or Summit catalog, in the fittings section, to get an idea of the fittings and prices.

I figure if the big rigs use the flex line, it should be fine for us.

As for losing a line and getting stranded. If you cant drive with your vehicle fully aired out, then you are just asking for trouble and you get what you deserve.

If i lost all air, i could still make it home fine, just a bit rough ride.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
PBFAB.COM

I've ran D.O.T plastic woven re-enforced line for the last 12 years on my dailey driven rigs and also on company tow rigs and have never had a piece of road debris or a rock even come close to damaging a line I have seen more failures/ customers stranded due to hard line... but just like Chevy and Ford guys they'll always be the guys who agree to disagree... I am only speaking from my own personal experiances and encounters.. This is the same line that are on busses, tracktor trailers, mercedes, bmw, audi, lamborghini , ferrari etc. :-)
Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

What exactly are we talking about?
1) Hard lines connected to PTC fittings at the bag?
2) Hard lines with a 37 degree flare connected with AN fittings at the bag?
3) Hard lines with a ferrule type fitting (like Swagelok) at the bag?

Just trying to get on the same page here,...

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
texastrendz

I use Norgren push lock fittings and aluminum and or copper line to NPT for the valves. It is simple and easy, The Norgren fittings are in my personal opinion the best on the market. Pnuefit is line i use. Brass fittings that are coated.

You can install nylon line and will not have a failure if installed correctly. It just looks like ^&%$ on a fifty thousand dollar streetrod.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
fastcam1
Young gun

Thanks for all the input think as far as air goes I'm jus gonna stick to flex lines
Posted via Mobile Device

Northwest C10's
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Norhtwestc10s/
Cameron sparks
fastcam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

If your not building a show vehicle on air, DOT line is perfectly fine. I had a 02 Silverado that I drove to and from work 40 miles one way highway driving, for 3 years, bagged on 22's with DOT plastic/nylon line and didn't have one problem, leak or busted line. If set up properly, you won't have any problems.

That being said, it is a bit unsightly. Hard lines look great if done right, but definitely use flex line to the bags, imo.
JNJchev77 is offline   Reply With Quote