The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #1
Joesprocket

power steering too powerful

this is gonna sounds really weird to some of you but I'm actually thinking of taking out my power steering. At speeds of over 45mph I find steering to be a little squirrely and you lose tension not really able to feel how the truck is pulling. Plus, the PO installed a smaller diameter cheapo "GT" steering wheel that just doesnt feel like your holding on to much. I've been considering replacing that with a larger and more authentic 15" wheel but am afraid that might make steering even worse. Hence the idea to just get a bigger wheel and take out the PS.

Has anyone wrestled with this in the past?
Joesprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 PM   #2
mud.man.rj

Re: power steering too powerful

I did on my 71 4wd Gmc and went to a larger wheel, thought it would make it worse but actually made it feel better, not as jumpy as the to small wheel. Could always find a pump with a larger pulley on it which would turn slower being a larger circle and slow down the steering a bit, but need longer belt.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #3
Joesprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
I did on my 71 4wd Gmc and went to a larger wheel, thought it would make it worse but actually made it feel better, not as jumpy as the to small wheel. Could always find a pump with a larger pulley on it which would turn slower being a larger circle and slow down the steering a bit, but need longer belt.
Interesting that with a larger wheel you thought it felt better. I may start with that and see where it leads me. I like your idea of finding a PS with a larger pulley but damn that probably falls pretty low on my truck priority list
Old 08-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #4
mud.man.rj

Easy to find a used pump, different years have different sized pulleys just stay close in year so the hose ends are the same, hard to find a poor Chevy ps pump, usually pretty tough.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:56 AM   #5
leftybass209

This has been debated in detail in other posts. To summarize, in order for you to keep your power steering and increase the effort to turn (which increases road feel) you need to swap out the high pressure valve. The valve reduces the pressure (which can be between 900 and 1200 psi) essentially reducing how much power assist the pump is offering.

I tried using the shim kit which is also available and found that it doesn't decrease the power assist enough to warrant doing the modification. All the shim kit did was significantly reduce the high squeel that occurs when the wheel is turned to either lock.

The concensus is, the power steering assist you are feeling is indeed the way the factory intended it to feel.

Best of luck with your choice.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:58 AM   #6
leddzepp

I would replace the steering box before removing my power steering. That will reduce the play you feel and tighten the steering more than anything else. Power steering on these trucks is very responsive and takes some getting used to.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:58 AM   #7
TBONE1964
Cluster King

You may also have some other factors that are causing your problem as well.

Did you just add this power steering set up after driving with manual steering? That alone will give you a false sensation until you get use to it.

How much free play is in your steering box? Have you adjusted it? How is the rest of the front suspension as far as wear? How wide are the front tires?

Has the front end been aligned recently? If alignment is out of spec, that can cause a "squirrely" feeling.

Hope this helps,

Take care,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

With all parts in good working order these trucks steer perfectly fine. They do not feel like a newer vehicle. They are not a newer vehicle. They take getting used to. Humans are have proven to be be very adaptable throughout or history

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
Boog
laying low

Fyi to all the young C10 owners. Super easy power steering was the norm in the sixties by design. Chrysler/plymouth had some of the easiest steering of any of the car makes back then.
As far as the twitchiness is concerned that sounds more like worn steering components or alignment out or bad tires.
Be carefull trying to adjust the steering sector. I don't recommend that. If significant wear is found in the sector to cause loosness it should be replaced. They aren't that expensive.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
Joesjunk

It all the years I have been buying and selling these truck, I have had several trucks that had overly easy power steering. There was a thread about this a while back. I have no idea why some of these truck have the overly easy power steering. I just had a low mile 3/4 ton last year like that. I would try putting the original wheel back on it.
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
fartblossom

What is your total turns lock to lock?

I just upgraded from manual to power and the steering box I got at autozone is 3.3 turns lock to lock and from what I understand from reading threads here, that means it's a "progressive" or "variable" gearbox, that steers less at first, and progressively faster as you turn the wheel farther. It seems very stable at center wheel with no squirrely feeling, and corners with ease.

Another thing I've wondered about is whether a "steering stabilizer kit" from LMC would help. I know it's more for stopping bump steer in trucks with oversized tires, but it seems like adding a shock absorber to the steering would HAVE to increase steering resistance.
Attached Images

fartblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #12
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartblossom View Post
What is your total turns lock to lock?

I just upgraded from manual to power and the steering box I got at autozone is 3.3 turns lock to lock and from what I understand from reading threads here, that means it's a "progressive" or "variable" gearbox, that steers less at first, and progressively faster as you turn the wheel farther. It seems very stable at center wheel with no squirrely feeling, and corners with ease.

Another thing I've wondered about is whether a "steering stabilizer kit" from LMC would help. I know it's more for stopping bump steer in trucks with oversized tires, but it seems like adding a shock absorber to the steering would HAVE to increase steering resistance.
I cant speak much for these trucks with stabilizers but with my jeep grand cherokee there was no real increase in steering effort or resistance between no stabilzer and having one. The stabilizers really arnt that hard to move back and forth, id be willing to bet the difference seen is negligible.
‘69 K10 SWB: 4” lift 33”s… in a million pieces http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:10 PM   #13
Joesprocket

This has all been really good feedback and food for thought, folks. I do in fact need to refresh a lot of my steering and handling components (ball joints, tie rods, control arms, shocks, body mounts). Basically a lot of pieces that effect the overall feel and drive. I'm going to start there and replace the steering wheel with a 15" wheel and see where we are after that.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #14
motorcritter

Too steep a caster setting on the front end alignment can cause the 'squirrelly' or 'nervous' steering feel. If you're going to go through the front end, you'll need to realign it anyway, so get it set right. The caster angle may be one of many factors involved.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:21 AM   #15
68c10airstream

Larger diameter steering wheel equals more leverage. Ease of steering is dictated by the spool valve inside the steering box! I pulled a used box from a 1985 c10 with variable ratio (stated on the glove box lid) and got 3 1/2 turn lock to lock. Best saginaw box made in my opinion, about 17/1 slower reacting ratio in the center position and after turning about 1/2 turn it quickens up to about 12/1. This was designed in response to corvettes at high speed with a quick box were twitchy and over-reacted in the 60's. If you really want to get into the details the variable ratio box has a sector shaft with a longer center tooth, hence variable ratio. This is obvious if you remove the 4 bolt cover on top and look inside. I don't recommend this if it's not your cup of tea as things can get messed up. I still remember reading about this box during my auto schooling during the late 70's. Welcome aboard and good luck, Brian F.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote