The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
93FatBottom

Dang it dang it DANG IT! Ruined 454 Crank Snout

Well in my attempts to remove the crank sprocket to upgrade to double roller, I managed to cross thread the harmonic balancer bolt in my 1984 454. I am so pissed at myself I can't even believe it. I oiled the bolt first JUST to avoid this kind of thing, the bolt threaded in (or so I thought) and i couldnt turn it by hand so I used a wrench. It was getting tough to turn but i figured it was just by design, so I slowly continued. The bolt went half way down before It got stuck, and when I backed it out to investigate, powdered forged steel and ruined threads came out with the bolt. NOW I have to order a new crank, and I am just FURIOUS. I'm about to throw the motor off a bridge. It's one of those days.

The motors got 30k on it. Should I do a full rebuilt since the crank has to come out anyways, or should I just order the new crank and drop it in as is, maybe with some new main and rod bearings. Though this IS a good excuse to completely cover my bases, I'm still a little irritated, GOD I wanted this freaking truck on the road. Now I get to wait even LONGER.
93FatBottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
jhngardner367

Re: Dang it dang it DANG IT! Ruined 454 Crank Snout

Depending on the depth of the thread damage,there are some alternatives to replacement,that I've had good luck with.
If it's only damaged 1" or less,use a bottoming tap to clean it,and get a longer bolt,OR have it drilled and tapped for either heli-coil,or a larger,full-length bolt.
The other option is having a machine shop weld it in,and re-cut the threads.
I've saved more than one,this way,including a blown/injected 426 hemi,pushing 800hp!
I can't fix what ain't broke....you want I should break it?
jhngardner367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Telecasterjoey

I'd drill it out and tap it the next biggest size! New bolt, crack a beer!
Posted via Mobile Device
Telecasterjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
raceman6135
Dino burner

I agree with the "tap it the next size larger" theory. I've done that before and didn't even have to drill the hole larger. Twenty-five cents for a new Grade 8 bolt and you're ready to race in less than a half hour.
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
Corts60
Just here to tinker

This is how we learn and gain experience my friend. Don't kick yourself too hard. We've all done it.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
wyattglock

No big deal if you drill it out and tap it to the next size. I can say I have ripped the threads out of enough holes to be good with a tap. Sucks, but it is a good learning experience.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
bmchevy1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattglock View Post
No big deal if you drill it out and tap it to the next size. I can say I have ripped the threads out of enough holes to be good with a tap. Sucks, but it is a good learning experience.
My Grandpa bought me a short set of wrenches just to keep me from over tightening things and stripping the threads
I wouldn't try to it just happened. Never new my Blazer didn't have power steering until my grandpa drove it I was used to old tractors
81 GMC C3500 cab-chassis dually with utility bed 350sbc, Sm465, 14bolt with 4.10s nv4500 getting ready to go in
1979 Chevrolet K5 R.I.P. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434096
1976 Chevrolet C10 R.I.P. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434195
bmchevy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
jhngardner367

AND...It can be done with the engine still in the truck!!!
I can't fix what ain't broke....you want I should break it?
jhngardner367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
93FatBottom

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I ended up being able to just re-tap the threads to the original size. Half of them were ruined, but after pulling all the large pieces of metal out of the hole, some WD-40 and a couple cycles with the 1/2"-20 tap in my set, the threads are as good as new. I'm definitely thankful for the words of encouragement here though, you guys are great! I felt like a real moron. I'm now in search of the proper tool to install the new crank sprocket for my double roller, and I'm having a heck of a time finding the right tool -.-;; All the shops I call say they don't even have the tool. The shop I was at yesterday just smacks it on with a brass hammer or a mallet. At least the shops my friends work at go through the trouble of heating up the sprocket so it slips on easier, though I'm not exactly sure that's the proper way to go about it either haha.

Does anyone have any tips? I've never had to do the crank sprocket.

On the positive side, once I get this crank sprocket on and set my timing (my crank spun while pulling the old sprocket off, thus throwing it off timing with the camshaft) and I'm ready to bolt everything back together and get ready to give the motor a good coat of Chevy Orange and Flat Silver
Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
Your41Plague12

A brass hammer might be the best option there since it's a soft metal. I've never done it before though.
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
chebyshortbox65

Build one out of a piece of tubing get some tubing that fits over the crank snout cut it down and weld a plate on the end and tap the gear gome
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
hatzie

NEVER drive anything on the end of a crank with any type of hammer. The babbit thrust bearings on one of the center mains is too soft to put up with any type of sharp blows.

Use 1/2" x 20 all thread, 2 washers, and 1/2" x 20 nut. Grease up the washers and bottom the all thread in the snout.
Weld heavy plate over a piece of heavy wall tube. Be sure the tube fits over the snout with the key in place. Drill a 5/8" hole in the plate to pass the all thread through.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
Irish's_79_Step

Just another tip for the thread issue. I have had great luck with this stuff called helicoil. When you get it, it tells you what drill to use, and provides its own tap. then you thread the coil into the hole, and it'll use the stock bolt. and will be stronger than the original threads (from the manufacturers description).
Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #14
93FatBottom

Hatzie, that is quite an interesting idea, actually, I never considered that... but too late, I ordered the comp cams installer tool and it has already shipped haha. It'll be here Saturday or Monday. But thanks for that idea, I feel kinda dumb for nothing considering that before haha.

Irish, I've used helicoils for exhaust ports and stuff like that, but I just didn't trust it in the crank snout, considering it has to hold at high rpm's with the harmonic balancer dampening the vibrations. Just seemed like bad plans. No worries though, I blew out the hole with my compressor today and just for good measure I chased the threads one more time, and there was NOTHING on my last run, so I'm confident that the crisis has been averted.

I got working on going through my misc. parts in the bed of the truck that came with it, alternators, smog pumps and power steering pumps. One alternator seems to be alright, the power steering pump is actually in great shape, and pretty much everything else was rusted and trashed from sitting so long in the bed of the truck in the rain. I did find a nice aftermarket air cleaner, chrome with 454 and the corvette flags painted on it, and 2 good quadrajet carburetors too (one is a little old and could use a rebuild, the other looks to be in great shape, it was in a bag taped up hidden under a board) I also found some vacuum lines and both the support as well as the battery tray to run dual batterys, that was pretty cool to find. I'm a little disappointed I didn't find more though. I did find a GM 8 lug wheel with a spare tire a little low on air, and a ford explorer/ranger wheel as well that I sold to a friend for 30 bucks haha. The truck also came with abuncha of chevy parts, lifters, a comp cam, distributor, plugs, wires cap and rotor, all brand new, as well as a full gasket set, all for a small block (the truck came with a 400 small block originally, but since it didn't come with the truck, I sold them all to a friend for 100 bucks for his small block hes building for a 63 C10. I threw a bunch of the old rusted brackets and bolts in the scrap pile for my run next week, and scooped abuncha trash in the can right off the tail gate, I'm hoping to have the entire bed of the truck cleaned out so I can get ready to spray in the liner, after I convert the rust of course

Wait, before I forget, does anyone have any Autometer Speedometer part numbers for a 1980 Chevy truck? My dash is wired for full Autometers and I'm planning on going that route (the plug for the stock gauges still works so I'll run those temporarily until I can afford all my gauges haha) I need an Autometer Speedo to mate up to the original TH400 Speedo Cable in the dash, and I'm having trouble finding the gauge for my application.

Thanks again guys.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
butch86

Wait, before I forget, does anyone have any Autometer Speedometer part numbers for a 1980 Chevy truck? My dash is wired for full Autometers and I'm planning on going that route (the plug for the stock gauges still works so I'll run those temporarily until I can afford all my gauges haha) I need an Autometer Speedo to mate up to the original TH400 Speedo Cable in the dash, and I'm having trouble finding the gauge for my application

personally i would call autometer and get the part number then let the price shopping begain.