The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Gadoozle
God Bless America

Moving the Gas Tank

Hi there everyone,

I have a 1972 C10, is there any way to get the smell of gasoline out of my cab besides moving the gas tank? I wouldn't mind moving the gas tank, but I wanted to know if there was another way to at least reduce the gas smell.

Thanks!

Semper Fidelis
Gadoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Sammy

Re: Moving the Gas Tank

You can get a new gasket for a couple of bucks or get some gasket material to make your own. Pull the seat, remove the sending unit inspect the tank for possible external leaks. Put a new gasket under the sending unit assy and insure the unit is centered properly. Since you have a 72 check the vent line for being tight. If you have any rubber lines on your vent line they could be the culpret..

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

There are several reasons for the smell...the rubber hose between the tank outlet and the chassis hard line could be leaking or it might be the gasket on the fuel outlet/sender. I think your tank has an EEV hose coming off the fill neck and that could also be leaking. Mine just had condensation build up in the bottom of the tank and rust put a couple of pinholes in the tank which really didn't leak much but did cause a smell.

I just couldn't stand the idea of driving around with 20 gallons of gas inside the cab with me so when the tank started to smell I moved it out behind the rear axle.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Gadoozle
God Bless America

Thanks Sammy and Fitz, I will inspect the tank for tiny holes and I'll check the vent line. When I eventually get the bed and the cab off of my truck, I will most likely move the tank. I agree, Fitz, I would not like to be T-boned with 20 gallons of gasoline six inches from my back.

Semper Fidelis
Gadoozle is offline   Reply With Quote