The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
jonathan-m

So I'm moving to Chicago...

I just got accepted into a Doctorate of Pharmacy program in Chicago, so it looks like I'll be leaving sunny FL for the windy city in around 3 months or so. Its really cool because when I went up there for my interview I was really digging the vibe of the city, so I think I'm going to have a great time.
What I have been thinking about a lot though, is what to do about my truck.
I really didn't want to take my truck up there at first because I am worried that the harsh midwestern climate is going to cause my old girl to deteriorate really quickly. I thought at first I was going to move into the city, so I wasn't going to need a car anyways, but now it looks like I'll probably be moving into a suburb and commuting to school, which means a car is probably going to be a must (depending on which suburb, I guess).

So I have two options, I can drive my truck up to WV and park it at my aunt and uncles house for four years. This would mean I'd have to buy a little beater car when I got up there (and, I would be without my truck for four years!). I don't really care for this option much, even though its probably more practical. I'd have to try to find a decent car as soon as I got there (I'm gonna be poor ), and honestly I've never owned or worked on any other kind of vehicle besides this truck. It was my first vehicle, and I've done a lot and learned a lot with it, but its a simple machine..

Or, I could take her up there with me and deal with whatever the weather does to her.
Being a life long florida truck, it has relatively little rust. A little bit on the floor boards, but other than that she's pretty solid. Half of the truck is rattlecanned black, the other half has a very old semi-professional looking white paint job. This hasn't caused a problem down here with our mild weather, but I would imagine that a paint job would be in order to keep the back half from going to hell up there...
Oh and It doesn't have a heater anymore( didn't need it, and it was taking up space...), so I guess I'd definitely have to get another one of those. the cons to this are the obvious weather rust problems, the added risk of driving her in a big city, and the risk of a wintertime accident. I'm a florida boy through and through, so I'm not much of a seasoned ice road trucker...

What would you guys do? Do you think 4 years in the midwest is enough to put a real hurting on a florida truck?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
cb1965

Re: So I'm moving to Chicago...

send it to me out in california weather will be nice to her! haha .....

i dont know what i would do with out mine for 4 yrs. looks like u got a tough

decision.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

definitely a tough decision...if protected from the elements as best as possible, i'd say just leave it with your aunt/uncle...i don't think i would chance driving it on a daily basis...good luck with school!
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
biohazardbill

How partial are you to the truck? Once you finish school I am sure you can make enough to replace it. Unless the truck had some real sentimental value I'd probably sell it for something more practical.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardbill View Post
How partial are you to the truck? Once you finish school I am sure you can make enough to replace it. Unless the truck had some real sentimental value I'd probably sell it for something more practical.
Quote:
and honestly I've never owned or worked on any other kind of vehicle besides this truck. It was my first vehicle, and I've done a lot and learned a lot with it, but its a simple machine..
i would think it's pretty sentimental, but i see where you're coming from...i got rid of my 1st vehicle ('93 fullsize truck) which i spent lots of time & money on (owned 9 years)...i did so because i wanted to get something more practical for everyday driving...truth is, I had customized to the point i hated to drive it daily...so, i sold it....didn't regret it at first, but now i really wish I had held on to it
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Rich 5150 69

They use salt on the roads in Ill, I grew up there as a kid, a car there used everyday average life span was about five years, and rust would be taking its toll......plus you`ll be putting chains on the rear...
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Neither options sound to good. Having spent 43 of my 50 years in Ohio I have a feel for the climate in West Virginia and Illinois.

The winters can be really tough on vintage steel, mostly because they use salt & magnesium on the roads.

And a 2 wheel drive pickup truck on snow / ice covered roads, unless you have a posi and some weight in the back, is scary.

I guess storing it in West Virginia is probably your best bet. But that being said just setting in one spot in West Virginia you will be surprised at how much surface rust will occur.

Congrats on the doctorate opportunities... good luck!
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
jbon64

i'm near champaign Ill . right on your way to chi town. feel free to drop it at my house.

64 nova wagon , 63 nova convertible
jbon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
GMC4wheels71
Account Suspended

I'd drain all the fluids and put it in a storage place for 40 bux a month. Or make your aunt's day and pay her $40/month to store it. She'll think you're the most responsible kid on the planet.
GMC4wheels71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
scotts62
One day...

Man thats a hard decision.. id say stay in Fl unless the money is just so stupid high to make me make a move like that

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #11
1/2Dozen

the salt will take its toll eventually for sure. I drive mine every day no matter how much snow there is and I head to work some days before the plows are out and get around just fine. Just make sure you have a decent amount of weight in the back if you do use it during the winter months. Although, your truck is in very good shape by the looks of it and when your done with school you will be able to do some extensive upgrades to it. You will regret selling it if thats what you decide so I vote store it.
76 Airstream Sovereign
1/2Dozen is offline   Reply With Quote