The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2003, 08:04 PM   #1
bigd65

the GHOST is back in the HOSPITAL

yep remember the small knocking noise i was hearing and the tranny guy couldnt find. well i found it and fixed it. it was that tranny mount, so i changed. well that started the problem that was causing the knocking. a strong vibration. the guy kept saying that i need to get my driveshaft balanced. well its not the same drive shaft, it was replaced from the MIS-HAP on Christmas day. anyway i took it back and look this is what i done and this is what it is doing . the vibration intensity is dependant on the speed of the motor and not the truck, therefore it AINT THE DRIVESHAFT. it felt it , reved it up , and felt it somemore and came to the conclusion the FLYWHEEL is bad. gee thanx i said well at least we figured it out. anyways it is back and should be fixed really qwik. MAN IT SUX BEING IN A FAMILY WITH THREE DRIVERS AND TWO CARS>
Old 01-11-2003, 08:21 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Damn, Jeff, I feel your pain. Keep your head up and don't let it get you down. At least you are getting all the things taken care of. Not like you wanted it to happen the way it did, but at least it will be like new when done.

Good luck with it and I hope it feels better after it gets out of the hospital.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 05:55 PM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

While you're there Jeff you might have them look at the starter. When the flywheel bent it may have done something to the starter or the mounting. Just a thought. Good luck

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:05 PM   #4
bigd65

its starts just fine, dont JINX me. besides its one of the small high torque starters and replacement is 150.00- 200.00 bucks, i already priced it . its not that it has to have one but i sure do love the space between the starter and the header
Old 01-13-2003, 09:32 PM   #5
bigd65

well i got it back today and the guy said well i changed the torque converter again and the new flywheel. the vibration is still there and he said it was in the motor somewhere. well i said ok and paid for the flywheel 36.00 bucks, and drove it home. well istarted checking things and something poped into my head. i remebered last time the motot mount went out it did the almost the same thing. well i changed them both AGAIN and it was the driver side. the mount was not completely gone but the plates that are set in the rubber were seperating. yep all that HELL about the vibration and now i believe its gone. the reason i say i believe is because last time i said that it wound up in the shop again. well now back to the timing thing
Old 01-14-2003, 04:41 AM   #6
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Glad to hear you found the problem Jeff. How did you change motor mounts with the engine still in? I've only changed mine when we pulled the old motor out and later installed the ZZ4.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 01-14-2003, 07:16 PM   #7
bigd65

its not really that hard to change it while the engine is still in, you just have to do it one at a time. the only one that was difficult was the pasengerside because the fuel pump and the starter, but everything came out ok. i relly think the GHOST is back to normal now.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:27 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Congrats Jeff. I hope it's fixed for you. I know you've been chasing the vibration for a while.

Sometimes it really sucks having to go through the hoops to get something fixed. And man, you really went though them this time.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 01-15-2003, 12:44 AM   #9
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

SO do you have to jack up the engine or anythign?

Old 01-15-2003, 10:10 PM   #10
bigd65

Brandon,
yes you have to jack up the engine one side at a time, well actually you take one bolt out at a time and jack it up at the oil pan,with a board of corse. when you jack it up one side will lift then you have to take the motor mount mount off. did that make sense, well its the plate tha bolts to the frame rails and to the cross member (4 bolts) and the plate and motor mount will drop out the bottom. install- reverse proceedure.

Mike,
well i am stilll chasing one vibration but this one is really wierd. its only about 45-55 mph and its more like an echo in the cab. and also it feels like a sort of ROUGH SPOT. friday i am off work and i am going to hunt it down, but first thing is first, i am going to have the tires rebalanced. i dont know where else to look . it just aint as smooth as it use to be. what else could be causeing this VIBRATION or HARMONICS that i am feeling. i am going to put another distributor in friday, i dont know if this is the problem but i am going to try. then i think i am going to pull apart the carb and see if something aint right in there. i do have a Q-JET that a guy gave me. he said it came off his 454 truck. i will have to get the no. and post them to see what size carb it is, i might just wind up with a Q-jet powering the GHOST
Old 01-16-2003, 01:52 AM   #11
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Jeff so why didn't you take the long bolt out after jacking up some? This would have relieved tension on the bracket then slip out long bolt, take off lower bracket and the mount. Wouldn't this help? Also could youuse a cherry picker to lift the engine up and be safer than trying to jack up the engine with the oil pan and a board? Just thinking here

Old 01-16-2003, 03:01 PM   #12
Tom
driving is in my blood

changing motor mounts is easy? ARE YOU CRAZY?!?
I changed my passenger side mount a little while back. Getting uder the mounting plate to the nuts under is so friggin hard, even with my small hands. I didnt even connect one of the bolts back because it was too much of a pain. I wish I had as easy a time as you Jeff.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:34 PM   #13
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Changing motor mounts with the engine still in the truck is harder than with it out, but it's not real bad. Just as Jeff, says, remove the through bolt from one side, and loosen the other side a little bit. Then jack it up, the one side will lift, take everything off, replace and lower it back down. Everything should line up perfect, put the bolt back in but don't tighten it all the way, Now do the other side.

Not bad at all. Of course there are easier things to do, but.....

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 01-16-2003, 08:49 PM   #14
bigd65

Tom remove the mounting plate also, its only 4 bolts 2 on top and 2 on bottom. with the motor jacked up already, it will just slide right out the bottom. EASY AS PIE. i did both of mine in about 1 hour to hour an a half.

brandon,
i thought i said jack the motor up a little to relieve the tension, you cant get it out with out doing that. thanx for clearing that up for me.