The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
GMCBubba

knocking on doors?

just wanted to know what you guys do...

when you see an old truck in someone's yard, do you really just go up to the door and say, "hey there chief (boss, pal, etc), i like your truck. can i buy it?"

found a great 67-68 swb step covered and driven by some 80+ year old guy. have a hankering for it now.

thanks
Old 03-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: knocking on doors?

Have any kids?

My dad used to make me knock on the doors. Imagine a 12 year old coming to your door asking if the 52 chevy truck in your yard is for sale My dad knew where all the old cars had been sitting for years and I was the negotiator. I don't think I ever got any "yes's."

I've been pondering this myself. I found a gold and white shortbed I could have sworn was a 50th that had been sitting for 3 years with no movement. The guy cut down some bushes this year and I was wrong, I was able to see the front clip and it's actually a 69 or 70. Oh well, I don't have a house or garage anyway
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
72Levi

Drive by on a Saturday or Sunday when he is more likely to be outside cutting the grass etc... and just start up a conversation. He will usually bring it up if he wants to sell it or not. You could also just walk right up and knock on the door, but then he knows you REALLY want it and will price it high.
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
lilred67

i do it all the time.i have bought several trucks by doing this.and i've seen twice as many set there and rot cause the people said,no she ain't for sell,i'm a gonna fix her up one day........my a$$......
i doesn't hurt to ask.it's like asking a girl out,all she can say is no!!! but she might say yes and you get lucky.....
lilred67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

I've bout meny cars/trucks by just going to the door and asking. One tip I use is tell them you have one which in most cases I do but, not always. And you are looking for parts but you will take the whole thing so they don't have half a vehical sitting around. This will sometimes keep the dollar signs out of there eyes. If you don't ask you will never know. RJ22

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I`ve thought about it when I`ve seen a truck sitting,but never have.I respect other`s privacy too much,I guess.Just because something is sitting doesn`t mean it`s because they don`t want it.A for sale sign is cheap and I figure they`d get one of those if it was for sale.I have people asking if I want to sell trucks.Sometimes I think maybe I would(I don`t mind people stopping to talk trucks).I tell them how much and it always seems they should have asked if I was looking to give it away.Just because something`s sitting doesn`t mean it`s unwanted or worthless.In fact,that`s usually why it`s sitting,it`s too good to get rid of.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-12-2007 at 01:35 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Abosoloutly knock on those doors, that's how I've aquired about 150 various rust old relics. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Imacarguytoo

I buy cars and trucks all the time and go up to people doors. This is how i do it exactly.

Knock knock, WHos there? The naked boogie man! They say WHAT????
No really im kidding.

Ok well anyway.
They answer the door. I say I was just curious if you want to GET RID of that vehicle. For me 90% of the time they say yes. If you introduce the idea of money thats ALL they will think about. Then i bull**** with them for a minute or 2 about the vehicle to get them at ease with the idea of selling it. Most the time they come outside to talk. Start walking over to the truck or whatever. And start walking around it. TOUCHING the bad parts and throw a couple good things in there too. After youve looked at really good. Get your price in your head you want to give. Ask them what they want for it. BE VERY POLITE and PATIANT. They might say make me an offer. I say the bad things and a 1 or 2 good things. Then throw your price. WATCH there face and how they talk.That will tell you where to go from there. You might have to dicker a little bit with the price. If you get it. Go home RIGHT away and get the money and get the title.
Good Luck.
'51 Jeep Cj3a "Willys" 350 V8
Imacarguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imacarguytoo View Post
I buy cars and trucks all the time and go up to people doors. This is how i do it exactly.

Knock knock, WHos there? The naked boogie man! They say WHAT????
No really im kidding.

Ok well anyway.
They answer the door. I say I was just curious if you want to GET RID of that vehicle. For me 90% of the time they say yes. If you introduce the idea of money thats ALL they will think about. Then i bull**** with them for a minute or 2 about the vehicle to get them at ease with the idea of selling it. Most the time they come outside to talk. Start walking over to the truck or whatever. And start walking around it. TOUCHING the bad parts and throw a couple good things in there too. After youve looked at really good. Get your price in your head you want to give. Ask them what they want for it. BE VERY POLITE and PATIANT. They might say make me an offer. I say the bad things and a 1 or 2 good things. Then throw your price. WATCH there face and how they talk.That will tell you where to go from there. You might have to dicker a little bit with the price. If you get it. Go home RIGHT away and get the money and get the title.
Good Luck.
this is exactly what i did to get my truck.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

2 of the 3 trucks I've owned were not for sale... I just went up and asked them if they were interested in getting rid of them.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-

If it's something I'm really interested in I always stop & ask. If they say no, but they are a little hesitant I give them one of my business cards (I print them up a few at a time on the computer) and write on the front that I'm interested in the truck/car/etc., so they don't forget what the card was for. I never pressure them.... Not only have I bought a few vehicles this way I have also met some really nice people.

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I have always got crazy high prices from people this way.
I guess they think if you're hot enough for it to get out and knock, then you'll pay big bucks.

I must know where 20 trucks are parked right now, but I have 2 trucks already and no more space, so I dont knock, but I always drive by them when I'm out and about, cause you never know.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #13
Sonny

There is this beautiful 67 stepside at a gas station here in town. The truck was painted white and other than that it is original. The old man still uses it for parts runs and keeps it inside. He isn't ready to part with it, but I stop by and remind him of my interest in it. I would love to get my hands on it.

Sonny
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
jkaylor68gmc

Thats what I do or I get the name off the mailbox and call them.
jkaylor68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
GMCBubba

sounds good guys. might have to try that next weekend if i take the truck out for a spin. thanks for the advice. from the road, the truck looks awful nice (under cover, etc).
Old 03-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I have a lifelong friend I met because I asked about a truck.I wound up being the guy who helped get it running.A couple years down the road he wrecked it,had it towed to my house rather than an impound yard.I called and asked WTF.He said take what you want then junk it it's beyond repair.Wouldn't take a dime.
I have also bought a couple of cars that were'nt for sale by asking and been given one.I usually try to catch them mowing around it but have gone to a few doors.
I agree about the dating thing the best date I ever missed out on was because I didn't ask.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #17
powell72

I got my '67 SWB that way. Just be very polite and if you get the feeling you're bothering them appolize and leave right away.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:01 AM   #18
sakohntr

A good tip is carry a bag of doggie treats in your car to make quick friends with the very large german shephard (or lion, another story) in the yard. Ask if they want to sell parts off it instead of the whole truck, its cheaper that way. And leave your # or card, they often call back after thinking about it. But DO NOT go ask if you dont have the cash to anti-up. Too many times they wanted more than what i had or what i thought it was worth, only to find it next week at the end of the driveway with a 4sale sign, and soon sold!
1972 C30 longhorn,BB/AT,A/C,Tilt,Toolbox,lokr
1987 K20 Chevrolet Suburban. 6" lift. 5.7L/TH400 1979 K60 GMC Coleman 4x4, 427/Allison.
sakohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #19
raggedjim

Tell him your grand father had one just like it and if he ever wants to sell it to give you a call. I have bought trucks from people who called me 3 months after I left my name and number. People change their minds sometime.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #20
manimal

DON'T go up to anyones door WITHOUT cash in pocket. If you leave, that gives them time to "think" about it and start researching things like Barrett Jackson auctions-Then youre screwed! You start waving the green stuff and people are more willing to deal. JMO-I buy cars/trucks all the time to resell.
-Lance
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #21
Mt Man Chad

Just knocking on doors does work!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #22
70rs/ss

Check out my siggy, NONE of the older ones had 4-sale signs, the Camaro was behind an old out building, and I was buying a set of seats from the guy only to spy the 70 sitting there!! I agree with all, I have been given some vehicles (read free GMC in my siggy) it was wrecked, but a complete drivetrain and lots of decent sheetmetal and for FREE!! Ask and like said if you get the GTF out of here look, then appolagize and leave. Be honest, (I can't sleep if I knowingly screw someone) but that's just me, offer to buy parts or all if they want it gone, know that you'll get turned down. DO NOT get PI$$Y, people do not have to sell you anything, and if some smart mouth shows up at my place, I am going to show him my boot!! Treat folks like you'd want to be treated, and you may be surprised at the great deals out there.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 PM   #23
jamie72

i knock on alot of doors, looked for a blazer for a few years local, only to have one show up 6-7 miles from my house, guy was only taking the motor and was junking the rest, so i got it for next to nothing..its the one in my avatar.

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #24
1fun71

I lived at an apartment complex once and had a 65 coronet sitting in the back lot. This guy calls me up and says he's towing it upon the landlords request. well I had permission and he WAS supposed to be towing only an old caddy that was back there. Well it turned out he just wanted it and when i called him back to tell him he better not tow it, He TOLD me that I needed to sell it to him and that he already knew what engine it had and all that and that he had been watching it sit there for two years. Well I had just drove it 2 months prior I just always parked it in the exact spot to cover the tranny oil sot it had made on the concrete. Anyways that dude ticked me off and I put a for sale sign in it but refused to sell it to him!
1fun71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #25
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

It's how I got my blazer for 500 bucks!