The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
sharkskinman

cleaning water jacket w/out soaking etc..

Pulling the 283 apart and was thinking about getting a flexible drill extension and using a wire wheel
Will flush Alot and put pantyhose in hose for catching particles

Any other Simple ways to get it fairly clean?
Anyway there's a picture showing the water ways in a SBC??
sharkskinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:18 AM   #2
Haaland

Re: cleaning water jacket w/out soaking etc..

I use cascade dish soap because it will not foam. First drain all the coolant, then put cascade in the radiator, fill the system back up with water and run the engine for about 15 to 20 minutes make sure the thermostats opens so the whole system is cycling. Drain and repeat till everything coming out looks clean. I'm not sure if that's what your looking for but it works for me.
Haaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
60chevyjim

those heads on that 283 need to be hot tanked.
spend your money on the 327 .
60chevyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
GRX

pantyhose? .... catching particles?
Not sure what the objective here is. When flushing the block be sure to remove all the freeze plugs. Do not forget the bottom drain plugs too. They are at the bottom by the oil pan rail. That is where all the sediment will be.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkskinman View Post
Pulling the 283 apart and was thinking about getting a flexible drill extension and using a wire wheel
Will flush Alot and put pantyhose in hose for catching particles

Any other Simple ways to get it fairly clean?
Anyway there's a picture showing the water ways in a SBC??
Shark hey brother im not trying to be rude or a jerk i am only trying to help you as the rest of us are as well so please dont take what i am about to say the wrong way .... but here it is i have built a few engines in the past and each time you do it is an Investment as this is the heart of your truck . and im telling you from experience both dont matter what engine you have and choose to build weather it be the 283 or the 327 they both need to be Hot Tanked .. i understand better than most about wanting to keep things on the cheap as im on disability and only get a small check 1 time a month . but im telling you brother if you dont get either engine you choose to build hot tanked you will be sorry it will cost you much more in the end as after you build it and run it.. it will have Oiling and cooling issues and will not last you will be broke on the side of the road and what ever money you spent in the first place will be wasted and you will be back to square 1 all over again . the engine build is not a place that you ever want to cut corners on . many of us on here have told you what needs to be done but we have only told you that so that we save you the pain and money of blowing it up right from the start . i have a engine thats sitting on a stand right now for my suburban and been there because i dont have the money to do a proper build now for a year . but in the end when i do have enough it will last me for years to come . if you try to clean those engines your self at home from the way we saw them your just throwing money away .. sorry so long it really boils down to this . Do it right the first time and be happy ... i wish you all the luck in your build brother no matter what you choose
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote