The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
mcfarlnd

Rear end question

I was quoted today $850.00 to have my current rearend narrowed.....So, I need a cheaper solution (if possible) for a rear end. I have a bagged 61 stepside with a 78 C10 front end and currently have the 78 C10 rearend to install. My problem is I'm getting Eagle 227 20x10 wheels with 5.50 backspace and they simply are not going to fit because the axle is too wide. Are there any 5x5 narrower rearends from another vehicle that I could use? Or a good alternative? Open to suggestions except changing wheel backspacing is not an option.
mcfarlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Rear end question

It is always better to order a wheel to fit the than build the truck to fit the wheel. What you are going to have to do is mount the tires you plan o run on the wheel, pull your rear end out and put the wheel under the truck where you have the clearance needed on the outside and pull a tape between the wheel mounting surfaces. That is the width you have to have. Once you know the number then you can search for options.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
mcfarlnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
It is always better to order a wheel to fit the than build the truck to fit the wheel. What you are going to have to do is mount the tires you plan o run on the wheel, pull your rear end out and put the wheel under the truck where you have the clearance needed on the outside and pull a tape between the wheel mounting surfaces. That is the width you have to have. Once you know the number then you can search for options.
Jimmy
Thanks for the quick reply. I understand what you are saying however, keeping the stock C10 rear was not an option due to parts availability, needing 5 lug and 450+ horsepower. If I bought the style of wheels I want for the 78 c10 rear without narrowing it would look silly and I'm wanting a nice lip in the back and room for a wider tire. I guess what I'm asking is what rear ends in 5x5 are narrower than the C10 rear that I have. Regardless of the size, if there aren't any options, I will have to narrow the rear. I just need to know if there are options of a take out rear that would be narrower and if there are some options, what are they and the lengths.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
cooperhw

Quote:
Jimmy
This is "THE" answer. You only got how much distance you got. Might not want to pony up the $850 but it does not sound bad to me. By the time you search, find, pull two rear ends and put one in, see where I'm going with this?
By shortening what you got you know it fits, likes being there, etc. Not to mention emergency brake hassle.
J.M.O.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
mcfarlnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
This is "THE" answer. You only got how much distance you got. Might not want to pony up the $850 but it does not sound bad to me. By the time you search, find, pull two rear ends and put one in, see where I'm going with this?
By shortening what you got you know it fits, likes being there, etc. Not to mention emergency brake hassle.
J.M.O.
I hear ya. Thank you for the input. I'm not worried about the work involved or figuring out emergency brakes and mini tubbing. It's what hot rodding is about. Making things work. If I have to pony up the 850.00, that's gonna hurt the budget and piss off the wife but, it's better than settling for something I don't want. I just want to try every avenue before I drop a lot of money on something I could have done for a fraction of the cost.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

'65-'70 C10 rear ends are narrower by 1.5" total (.75 per side). You could then buy 5 lug replacement axles to replace the 6 lug ones. Not sure if this will get you narrow enough. That is likely the narrowest one that would be able to easily do 5x5 lug pattern. After that, everything will likely be custom.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
PGSigns

Until find out what the distance is you need it really does not matter what else is out there with 5X5 pattern. Once you have the number you can search the Buick, Olds, Caddy, Chevy car, Ford and Chryslers that used 5 on 5. But you still have to mount the tires, slide the wheels under the truck and measure first no matter what route you go.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 03-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
mcfarlnd

Quote:
Until find out what the distance is you need it really does not matter what else is out there with 5X5 pattern. Once you have the number you can search the Buick, Olds, Caddy, Chevy car, Ford and Chryslers that used 5 on 5. But you still have to mount the tires, slide the wheels under the truck and measure first no matter what route you go.
Jimmy
I'm putting the 78 rear in it this evening. I'll get my measurements for cutting it tonight or tomorrow. Found this, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=234769 but, it doesn't have the lengths.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
verdell

My brother owns a 70 C10 with a '65 rear end and re-drilled 5 x 5 axles. The rear wheels and tires are 20 x 10 (5.5" BS) with 315 35 20, C-notched with about a 5 inch or better static drop. He has no clearance issues and the truck is slammed. It's a fleetside, different body style but hopefully that kinda puts it in perspective. With yours being a stepside, you may have to go custom after getting measurements.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #10
mcfarlnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdell View Post
My brother owns a 70 C10 with a '65 rear end and re-drilled 5 x 5 axles. The rear wheels and tires are 20 x 10 (5.5" BS) with 315 35 20, C-notched with about a 5 inch or better static drop. He has no clearance issues and the truck is slammed. It's a fleetside, different body style but hopefully that kinda puts it in perspective. With yours being a stepside, you may have to go custom after getting measurements.
Most fleet side guys do not have this problem. I've searched up and down and a bunch of guys on this forum run a 20x10 and 20x8 combo without any issues but they are fleet side. Fleetside beds are wider, he is using an axle that is 1 1/2" shorter than mine and the 67-72 guys seem to be able to squeeze more wheel in there trucks 😞
Old 03-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #11
mcfarlnd

Wheels are 6 to 8 weeks out. Won't have them for a while. I made a tool to measure the wheels/backspacing/offset and simulate the size I am getting. I can use the tool to find out how far "out of fender" the wheel/tire combo will be and use that number to tell me how much narrower I need the rear. Measuring both sides and using the highest number of the two plus 1/2 an inch for how much will be cut off each side. Then I'll also, use those numbers to find my "drum to drum" measurement and compare that to the other 5x5 axles...... If there any that are shorter....
Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #12
PGSigns

I have built a bunch of drag cars and can tell you for a fact you need the wheels and tires first. Wheels only give you part of the answer. Once you pic a tire and mount it to the wheel and pump it up you will find out the true section width of the tire. This will vary a good bit on the same size tire from different manufactures. This width is what will place the wheel where it has to go.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 03-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #13
mcfarlnd

Quote:
I have built a bunch of drag cars and can tell you for a fact you need the wheels and tires first. Wheels only give you part of the answer. Once you pic a tire and mount it to the wheel and pump it up you will find out the true section width of the tire. This will vary a good bit on the same size tire from different manufactures. This width is what will place the wheel where it has to go.
Jimmy
I see your thinking and respect your input. However, if you have to have a wheel, How does one ordering custom offset wheels order their wheels if they don't have there wheels to check? Isn't that the whole point of measuring? I have picked out a tire and there section widths that are listed, are for a 8.5" wheel and a 10" wheel which is what I'm running. Why couldn't I use that? Remember, I'm going to be giving an error of an extra 1/2" on each side (cutting an extra 1/2" on top of my measurements). Do you know the lengths of other 5x5 axles?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #14
PGSigns

There Are tools out there to see what will fit like this one. http://www.wheelworksinc.com/
Section widths from manufactures can be a little iffy to go by and I always use the tire and wheel. Having the wheel and tire allows you to set it in the wheel well and place it exactly where it needs to be at ride height and see where it will be in relation to the curve of the body panel. It also allows you to see where other issues may arise when you look to see where it will be if you raise it up say three inches to account for suspension travel. I have recut a few housings over the years due to just these issues. If you really want to do it just once this is the best way to go. Couple of things to think about when looking at the cost of a rear end swap is the strength of the part you find. Will it need a better set of axles, a new gear and can you find a posi to go in it. I f I had to cut one to go in mine it would be a 9" ford. Comes in 5X5, brakes are easy to find from a pickup, gears are plenty full and a posi is not a problem. No c-clip issues to worry with also. Here is a link to info on these housings that may help you find one the right width. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...nchAxles.shtml

Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 03-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #15
mcfarlnd

Quote:
There Are tools out there to see what will fit like this one. http://www.wheelworksinc.com/
Section widths from manufactures can be a little iffy to go by and I always use the tire and wheel. Having the wheel and tire allows you to set it in the wheel well and place it exactly where it needs to be at ride height and see where it will be in relation to the curve of the body panel. It also allows you to see where other issues may arise when you look to see where it will be if you raise it up say three inches to account for suspension travel. I have recut a few housings over the years due to just these issues. If you really want to do it just once this is the best way to go. Couple of things to think about when looking at the cost of a rear end swap is the strength of the part you find. Will it need a better set of axles, a new gear and can you find a posi to go in it. I f I had to cut one to go in mine it would be a 9" ford. Comes in 5X5, brakes are easy to find from a pickup, gears are plenty full and a posi is not a problem. No c-clip issues to worry with also. Here is a link to info on these housings that may help you find one the right width. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...nchAxles.shtml

Jimmy
Thanks. I'm surprised no one else has recommendations on a pull out axle. Wondering if the 67-72 guys would have more insight on a narrower 5x5 rear.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #16
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

If you read my reply above, that is likely what most of the 67-72 guys are going to tell you. About the only other things that had 5 on 5 was full size Chevy cars but most of them will be as wide. There is no magic or cheap way around this. About the narrowest rears were in Chevy II's, Mustang II's, Falcon's and Maverick's, unless you get into imports. None of these will be 5 on 5. That pattern was for heavy vehicles (i.e. trucks and full size cars).
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #17
PGSigns

Most folks fit the wheel to the truck. There will be a point in your build when you figure out what we are telling you is what you have to do. Been at this close to 40 years and used to build drag cars for about 15 years. Only 2 ways to go, fit the wheel and tire to the housing or fit the housing to the wheels and tires.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #18
mcfarlnd

Quote:
Most folks fit the wheel to the truck. There will be a point in your build when you figure out what we are telling you is what you have to do. Been at this close to 40 years and used to build drag cars for about 15 years. Only 2 ways to go, fit the wheel and tire to the housing or fit the housing to the wheels and tires.
Jimmy
I'm not most folks...... I do things differently I guess. I don't "follow" everything someone else on the internet has done. It seems that throwing around your résumé makes it okay to do things one way.... Your way? I was simply trying to find narrower "pull out" rear ends that have 5x5 bolt patterns in hopes that I could find a little more cost efficient way to go about it. Also, someone looking for the same info can get it. For instance, a lincoln continental ford 9" mark 3 73-79 rear is 61". Which is 2 3/4 shorter than the 12 bolt I have. Yes you would have to do some work with suspension brackets or go 4 link possibly but, the option is there.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #19
PGSigns

There are a lot of rears out there that are shorter than the one in our trucks. But you still need to know how short you need to go. Another issue with a lot of the 9" rears is the location of the pinion. You may find one that is say 58" but it may have a 3" offset pinion. So the width is not the only issue you face when searching for an alternate housing. When I got started in fooling with cars in the early 70's everything came from another car or truck. We would mix and match 9" axles taking the short side axle from one rear and cutting the long side of the housing and using the short axle in it. Then as our skills progressed we started collecting what we called fat axles that could be turned down at a place along the length and resplined to make an axle the length we needed. We built many a 9" for street rods this way. This allowed us to easily get the width we needed and the pinion in the right place. I'm not throwing my resume around I am just trying to pass along what I have have learned from doing this for a very long time.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 03-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #20
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Arrow Re: Rear end question

My '62.
Ford 9" Rear End's out of a 1957-1959 Ranchero and station wagon's are 57.25 inches (narrowest 9" housing)

9 inch conversion
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=629981

Post Pics of your Static Drops!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=328048&page=3

Rear End Widths
http://carnut.com/specs/frear.html

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...rch/1/#1285577

http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/rear_ends.htm
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote