The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
Deuce

HELP!! Is it worth swapping '72 front suspension for '80??

I am using a 72 chev swb frame for my build-up, and I also have a complete 1980 front suspension crossmember and all. The truck is stripped down to the frame with no motor in it so it would be really easy now.
My question is............is it worth swapping out the 72 set-up for the 80?? The local speed shop is having a 10% off sale so I want to order my spindles and coils and I need to know if I should buy the 72 spindles or the 73-87 spindles??
What do you guys think??
Thanks!!

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
Vince M

I think the later design improved on the A-arms and mounting. If I was in your place I would swap to the later. I've replaced my 68 with 72 stuff and if I was to do it al over again I would put in the later. I think the A-arm mounting and the pivot bushing design sucks on the earlier years. OK that's my $.02.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
Deuce

I've heard something along these lines. Better bushing in the 73-87 front ends??
Thanks for your input, I'll order the 73-87 parts for the front end.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:06 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Swap steering gear boxes too, the later one had variable rate steering.
I plan on upgrading the Longhorn one day too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 11:23 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

A vote for the '73-up stuff! Parts are CHEAPER and more readily available. Also the benefit of rubber bushed a-arms. If you're going to make it low,... you can use Belltech's 3" drop spindles, also.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 11:38 PM   #6
gunnersm8

how difficult is this conversion? pretty much bolt in?
gunnersm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 11:44 PM   #7
Deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnersm8
how difficult is this conversion? pretty much bolt in?
Might have to drill a couple holes, but other than that it's pretty much a bolt-in.........................I think

Old 12-27-2004, 01:41 AM   #8
HeavyD

Its a bolt in if you don't change crossmembers - just bolt the a-arms (think they are called that) to the old crossmember. I had to bend new brake lines, but other than that it was a bolt in deal.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:35 AM   #9
Deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD
Its a bolt in if you don't change crossmembers - just bolt the a-arms (think they are called that) to the old crossmember. I had to bend new brake lines, but other than that it was a bolt in deal.
I'm using the whole x-member so I guess I might have to drill a couple holes??

Old 12-27-2004, 07:11 AM   #10
modifiedGMC

Thumbs up front suspension

I put complete front suspension (spindle to spindle) from a 79 C10 in my 69 GMC and only had to drill one hole on each side. I had to redo a couple of brake lines though. Even used the power steering box but you will have to slightly modify the driver side bumper brace to clear the steering box. Other than that it's fairly easy swap.
modifiedGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 08:50 AM   #11
Blue Beard

Any ideas on a later model rearend to complete the swap?
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 09:37 AM   #12
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

i would have stuck with the '72 set-up.
the steel a-arm bushings would give better handling...maybe a slightly rougher ride..but a stiffer suspension. - besides it's already set up for disc. if you didn't have a disc set up and everything...i would say change it to the later one.

and most of the front suspension parts (other than the a-arm bushings) are the same as the 73+ i'm pretty sure rotors, calipers, ball joints, tie rods etc fit from '72-'87 (don't quote me on it though...i was federal mogul's parts website..and you can look up different years for thier "Moog" suspension/steering stuff..and they carried the same part numbers for a '75 and a '72 - other than the ctrl arms shafts/bushings.

if you want a nicer ride yeh go with the rubber bushing a-arms and put new energy suspension bushings in them or stock bushings for that matter
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 11:14 AM   #13
Vince M

If you want a bolt in rear end that is 5 on 5 pattern you can't beat the 71-72 axles. Later models still used the 5 on 5 but they won't just bolt in. You'd have to rework them a bit. I'm not sure on widths either.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:51 AM   #14
HeavyD

Yeah, proper 71-72 rear axles are the way to go. Just buy new drums, shoes, seals, whatever else needs replacing on your brakes, and slip them in.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:44 PM   #15
gunnersm8

i guess i shouldve asked this earlier, but it just now came to me, how much difference is there from 69- 72? Ive got a 69, and im wanting to redo the front end, and for cost sake( 73-87s are a plenty out here) just taking the front end off of a later model. whole new ballgame now?
Old 12-27-2004, 12:53 PM   #16
Deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnersm8
i guess i shouldve asked this earlier, but it just now came to me, how much difference is there from 69- 72? Ive got a 69, and im wanting to redo the front end, and for cost sake( 73-87s are a plenty out here) just taking the front end off of a later model. whole new ballgame now?
Thays what I did. Bought a Burb with Rally wheels and new tires for $200. Sold the tranny for $150, sold the gas tank for $50. Kept the wheels and complete front susp for extra's for the truck.
Once I get the motor/trans out of the IROC, the frame comes back in the garage and the "fun" begins!!!!

Old 12-27-2004, 12:56 PM   #17
gunnersm8

so its a direct fit kind of thing, cool. thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:03 PM   #18
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

most guys are going 73-up on the front suspension on the 1/2 ton trucks for easier to find used disc brake parts, & cheaper rebuild parts......however, the old steel bushings/shafts are IMO a better deal. you wont have neer the flex in the front end with the steel bushings as rubber or urathane, & those steel bushings will last d@mn neer forever (if you keep them greased) As far as swapping the spindles, no problem.....73-up changed the upper ball joint, & the outer tierod ends.....that is all you need to change , to use the 73 on spindles on the 71-72 trucks. best of luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:07 PM   #19
Deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn
most guys are going 73-up on the front suspension on the 1/2 ton trucks for easier to find used disc brake parts, & cheaper rebuild parts......however, the old steel bushings/shafts are IMO a better deal. you wont have neer the flex in the front end with the steel bushings as rubber or urathane, & those steel bushings will last d@mn neer forever (if you keep them greased) As far as swapping the spindles, no problem.....73-up changed the upper ball joint, & the outer tierod ends.....that is all you need to change , to use the 73 on spindles on the 71-72 trucks. best of luck,crazyL
Went from $425 for spindles to $200 for the 73-87 3" drop spindles. The savings just about paid to lower the rest of the truck

Old 12-28-2004, 04:52 PM   #20
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

My truck is also setup for 73-87 spindles, however the orig crossmember is used, as are the orig upper a arms. The lower arms were swaped for a 71-72 , 1/2 ton set, as the truck was also swapped from 3/4 to 1/2 to spec. I still dont have dropped spindles, but at the time i did the swap/drop.....Belltech , & Western were about all that offered drop spindles for the trucks(73 up.....none for the older ones). I still am glad that i kept the old style arms & bushings tho......it was a good design(solid ,stiff, & wear forever....almost ) if you are rebuilding, no doubt that the shafts & bushings will cost more on the old steel shaft/screw setup, but there is no unwanted movement in the bushings, as compaired to rubber or urathane. Some guys may say they ride "harsher", but i have driven the old trucks for a long time (wouldnt know the diff in ride if it bit me ) for a dropped truck, my old Longhorn rides decent. The thing that i did notice change the ride the most , was a set of urathane cab bushings if your crossmember & bushings are in good shape, save yourself some work (just swap the ball joints & tierod assys, & use the cheaper spindles .... crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:20 PM   #21
GlennBrittain

Thanks to all for the info posted here, helped me make up my mind on what to do on a 69 frame I will be building sometime next year. I will go with the 73 crosmember and front end. I have a 700r4 change out on my beater 69 fleetside that needs to be completed before I start on the frame project.
GlennBrittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:31 AM   #22
Deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennBrittain
Thanks to all for the info posted here, helped me make up my mind on what to do on a 69 frame I will be building sometime next year. I will go with the 73 crosmember and front end. I have a 700r4 change out on my beater 69 fleetside that needs to be completed before I start on the frame project.
I think it should be pretty easy. I'm using the 80 motor mounts too.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:40 AM   #23
53burb

Isn't the power steering box better as well?? I believe they use a variable assist power steering box.
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:31 AM   #24
Deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53burb
Isn't the power steering box better as well?? I believe they use a variable assist power steering box.
From what I've read it is supposed to be a much better piece to use. And you are right they are variable assist.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #25
gunnersm8

ok im bringing this back up, as i just read some other post about using 3/4 ton upper? i better get my **** in one sock here...
if i get the whole front end, it will go on, for the most part, a couple of holes drilled/oblonged at most right? is that using the 69 x member or the late model? anything special needed?