The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
robber grin

Question 1" Engine Stand Spacers on 60-62s

Alright I get it that the frames are different heights and a one inch spacer must be used to upgrade to the small block side mount stands.

I got some 1 x 1 bar stock and will attempt to make that work.

QUESTION - My drivers side mount's frame location seems to be right over my factory frame VIN stamp and I don't want to drill through or damage that area - in fact I'd rather not cover it either.

Anyone else run into this or am I just that lucky?

I had considered making that spacer long enough to mount at some point past the VIN stamp but it would still cover the numbers once installed.

Thanks guys...

Last edited by robber grin; 12-20-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: grammar
robber grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Brad54

Re: 1" Engine Stand Spacers on 60-62s

Move the vin.
It's only metal. If you have a welder, move it.

Just leave lots of material around the number, so when you splice it in to a different spot on the frame, you don't zip the numbers away while dressing the weld.

And yeah, moving or altering VINs is a huge no-no, but it's a 50 year old truck... nobody is going to care.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by robber grin View Post
Alright I get it that the frames are different heights and a one inch spacer must be used to upgrade to the small block side mount stands.

I got some 1 x 1 bar stock and will attempt to make that work.

QUESTION - My drivers side mount's frame location seems to be right over my factory frame VIN stamp and I don't want to drill through or damage that area - in fact I'd rather not cover it either.

Anyone else run into this or am I just that lucky?

I had considered making that spacer long enough to mount at some point past the VIN stamp but it would still cover the numbers once installed.

Thanks guys...
as long as it is there I wouldn't worry about it. just fab so that you don't alter it. if one will ever have to verify it is there, someone will just have to undo some bolts. don't cut and move it
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
robber grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
as long as it is there I wouldn't worry about it. just fab so that you don't alter it. if one will ever have to verify it is there, someone will just have to undo some bolts. don't cut and move it
ron
Ron - That's sort the direction I was heading but I was wondering what you guys thought before I make the spacers.

Thanks Ron

Brad... I'm with you and it shouldn't matter (especially if it's a documented modification), but just to be safe I will avoid doing anything that would change the frame VIN markings. Thanks just the same!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
bowtieboy1993

i ran into the same thing on my 62, i had seen the "spacer" on another truck and thought it looked jankity, so i took the inch out of the top of the motor mount and welded it back together, if that makes any sense. i think it looks alot cleaner. however it didnt fix the fact the vin is covered
bowtieboy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I never had to face that issue on my truck since the GMC's didn't have VIN's stamped in the frame. I'm not sure how to avoid damaging the VIN unless you fabricate custom mounts that avoid it. Even sectioning the tower wouldn't avoid drilling the holes. Perhaps one of the tubular 63-66 mounts could be modified to fit and bypass the VIN?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
robber grin

I'm planning to make a spacer that will go from front edge of engine stand across and over VIN stamp and bolt down just behind the numbers.

One piece welded assembly when done - using the front hole through the stand and spacer, welding the stand to the spacer and drilling the back of the spacer somewhere behind the area of the stamped VIN.

At least that's where its heading at the moment.