The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
FirstOwner69

Craigslist 1972 Longhorn

Just saw this on the Las Vegas Craigslist. Looks original and clean. Posted here before?

Not mine.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3557533135.html
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Craigslist 1972 Longhorn

oh, you just had to go and post that, didn't you....
I live 2 valleys over from Pahrump. And that appears to be a Cheyenne Super. Non-original color scheme though... Oh my. I gotta see more. Thx for posting. I think it needs a few more gas tanks, but I LIKE it.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

Post Re: Craigslist 1972 Longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
oh, you just had to go and post that, didn't you....
I live 2 valleys over from Pahrump. And that appears to be a Cheyenne Super. Non-original color scheme though... Oh my. I gotta see more. Thx for posting. I think it needs a few more gas tanks, but I LIKE it.
Kinda figured that would get your attention!

I think it's "just" a Cheyenne. Too bad one of those valleys is DEATH VALLEY! 3 tanks, and I wonder where the tailgate is. Probably stashed in the garage since new.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 01-23-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Kinda figured that would get your attention!

I think it's "just" a Cheyenne. Too bad one of those valleys is DEATH VALLEY! 3 tanks, and I wonder where the tailgate is. Probably stashed in the garage since new.
Yep, surely this beaut hauled a camper most of its life (thus the missing tailgate, but sure hope he still has it). I'm dying to know the original colors and see the SPID.... I have a call into the gent, but no reply yet.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Nice!
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
SS Tim

This truck was for sale on CL a long time (2+ years I know of) and the pictures of it were the typical side of the house, flat pictures that really only showed the bad paint job and the horrible fiberglass topper on the back of a long sitting truck. A year plus ago it was advertised as having been sitting five years. Then last month the topper appeared on eBay with a reserve, the seller said they bought the truck it was on to tow their gooseneck. Didn't save any pictures I can find. Worse I cannot remember the trim level or the series.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
jocko

It's a C30 Cheyenne Super, and that right there gets me all teary eyed - originally White over Med Blue. The guy selling it now is the guy that bought it from the one you're referring to Tim.
I got a few pics from him - real nice guy. The SPID tells the tale, this was definitely a sweet Longhorn in its day. But the previous owner, not the current one, went to a LOT (as in, complete cab teardown lot) to repaint it in brown and tan. But being a Pahrump truck, it appears to be dry as a bone. In fact dry-rotted as a bone - steering wheel is a skeleton. Here's some pics. I may go take a look this weekend if I can find time, just out of curiousity. The 3rd filler neck is for an in-bed aftermarket aux fuel tank. The tailgate is long gone. Would have been much more enticing at the $2500 price Tim mentioned. But it's still not out of the ballpark for what could be a very solid truck with excellent RPOs. C30(!) Longhron+Supers don't come along every day. Restored, this truck would be a gem - but it'd take a LOT of work (and $) to get it back to original. Try to look past the brown/tan and picture it in gleaming med blue.... Ohhhhh. I'm amazed at the level of work put into making it brown & tan - look at the inside of the gb door, they went to a lot of effort to make it look factory (how did they get the tan under the SPID clear cover (a 72-ism) without ruining the SPID?? If they were gonna fake it, they'd probably not have left the original color name... I think it looks legit to me. I'm very glad they left the original SPID. Btw, trans is a TH400, which of course makes sense.

Tim, I smell the ultimate dog hauler....
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 01-23-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
FirstOwner69

Did the seller mention if the dash was cut for that radio? I think the paint may be over the clear portion of the SPID. There also appear to be a lot of hoses on top of the left inner fender. What is the box mounted on the firewall just toward the center from the hinge. Trailer brake stuff? Big block stuff? Did you ask the condition of the bed wood? Does the A/C work?

I'm not sure the price is bad, but he's looking at at least a $2000 profit based on Tim's posting. Maybe some wiggle room on the price!!!

Go get it!

Jim
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
jocko

I think you are right on the spray over the clear SPID cover. That's good though. Better than UNDER it. not sure on all the hoses near the hinge. It does appear to have an inverter mounted in there perhaps a little forward - could be related to that or to the aux battery spaghetti(?) Who knows. I think camper trucks are generally far and away the worst wiring nightmares considering all the wacky things previous owners do to them (which I would have too - they are perfect for elec hop-ups to support the camper stuff). Dunno about the radio chop - might be an aftermarket in the stock holes, but hard to tell. Same same on a/c, bed wood, etc. I'm not worried about his profit, I'm worried about my deficit. I'd say he got it for a steal at $2500, so that doesn't mean the new buyer would be getting screwed at $4500 - it's all relative. Having said that, assuming it runs well and there are no major hidden issues, $4500 isn't a bad deal... IF you could live with the paint. Looks great on a mid-80's chev, but the jury for me is still out on a 72. Ok, jury's in, I hate the color, but I love the truck. However, if you want to restore this truck (which I would), it would take a LOT of money and time, but it appears to be a very solid starting point for a fairly rare truck. (point taken on the wiggle room, that would be a good idea).
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
FirstOwner69

Quote:
I think you are right on the spray over the clear SPID cover. That's good though. Better than UNDER it. not sure on all the hoses near the hinge. It does appear to have an inverter mounted in there perhaps a little forward - could be related to that or to the aux battery spaghetti(?) Who knows. I think camper trucks are generally far and away the worst wiring nightmares considering all the wacky things previous owners do to them (which I would have too - they are perfect for elec hop-ups to support the camper stuff). Dunno about the radio chop - might be an aftermarket in the stock holes, but hard to tell. Same same on a/c, bed wood, etc. I'm not worried about his profit, I'm worried about my deficit. I'd say he got it for a steal at $2500, so that doesn't mean the new buyer would be getting screwed at $4500 - it's all relative. Having said that, assuming it runs well and there are no major hidden issues, $4500 isn't a bad deal... IF you could live with the paint. Looks great on a mid-80's chev, but the jury for me is still out on a 72. Ok, jury's in, I hate the color, but I love the truck. However, if you want to restore this truck (which I would), it would take a LOT of money and time, but it appears to be a very solid starting point for a fairly rare truck. (point taken on the wiggle room, that would be a good idea).
I agree with your assessment.

Jim
Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
SS Tim

This truck sat for five years or more. He claims to have bought it to tow with and now he is selling it. Bet there is a lot of little things wrong. Might have figured out a few things like the rear drums are not available new. Bet the brakes need everything done, like it runs great it just won't stop. Lots of mods and the color change killed it for me before, but then I'm not sure I knew it was a Cheyenne Super 30 as I did not mark the file as such. Now why would you go to Pahrump to see a Super 30 if you would not go and see Billy's :-) However if you want to swing down and pick me up on the way.... Now for a dog truck it would be a good start. Would have no problem just building it as I would have ordered it.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #12
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
This truck sat for five years or more. He claims to have bought it to tow with and now he is selling it. Bet there is a lot of little things wrong. Might have figured out a few things like the rear drums are not available new. Bet the brakes need everything done, like it runs great it just won't stop. Lots of mods and the color change killed it for me before, but then I'm not sure I knew it was a Cheyenne Super 30 as I did not mark the file as such. Now why would you go to Pahrump to see a Super 30 if you would not go and see Billy's :-) However if you want to swing down and pick me up on the way.... Now for a dog truck it would be a good start. Would have no problem just building it as I would have ordered it.
Wish I was closer, and I'd ask to join you guys. Maybe swing by In n Out Burger for a Double Double. How you been, Tim? Haven't talked to you in a while
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
jocko

Just spoke to Billy yesterday - old white super was carted off a few days ago. Maybe I want to make up for lost opprtunities! Ha. I'm with you Tim, the color kills it for me too - it would be gorgeous restored - but to do so would require a frame off. And I am tapped out just doing my C20's brake job.... And considering the difficult time I had finding the parts for my Dana 60 on the 71 (oddball year apparently...) you are spot on about hard to find C30 parts. Ugh. I'm glad my wallet is making my decision for me on this one, but it is a rare bird, nonetheless....

Did I tell you about the 84 K20 I'm drooling over up here in RC? Ironically, it's the same faded brown/tan combo as this 72 and I love it on the 84.... (and a Bud Eyre Chevy original to Ridgecrest, never left the town). EDIT: I'm seriously considering it as a snow plow truck for when I eventually move back to the midwest (If I move back), but shipping it there when I move would cost as much as the truck itself. 84's probably arent' that hard to come by, but this one is just speakin to me. Apparently I speak several eras of "truck".
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Just spoke to Billy yesterday - old white super was carted off a few days ago. Maybe I want to make up for lost opprtunities! Ha. I'm with you Tim, the color kills it for me too - it would be gorgeous restored - but to do so would require a frame off. And I am tapped out just doing my C20's brake job.... And considering the difficult time I had finding the parts for my Dana 60 on the 71 (oddball year apparently...) you are spot on about hard to find C30 parts. Ugh. I'm glad my wallet is making my decision for me on this one, but it is a rare bird, nonetheless....

Did I tell you about the 84 K20 I'm drooling over up here in RC? Ironically, it's the same faded brown/tan combo as this 72 and I love it on the 84.... (and a Bud Eyre Chevy original to Ridgecrest, never left the town).
You never know. The paint may grow on you after you buy it. That's what happened with my truck. Remember when I first joined the forum, and was hellbent on painting my truck green? Pfffft! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
jocko

OK, picture this a little lower and a little longer - and 2WD... I'm just sayin. GORGEOUS. Oh, and as a Cheyenne Super. It would be a beaut. I think medium blue is the equivalent of Husky Eye Blue???
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #16
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
OK, picture this a little lower and a little longer - and 2WD... I'm just sayin. GORGEOUS. Oh, and as a Cheyenne Super. It would be a beaut. I think medium blue is the equivalent of Husky Eye Blue???
Beautiful. Their eyes (at least my Husky's) are a bit lighter. More like the shade of my truck, but probably even a little lighter. If he was bi eyed, his other eye would match my rust lol

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #17
jocko

Yep, I do realize that, used to have one myself - I'm just trying to talk Tim into buying it so I can watch . He is a Husky afficianado/fan/you name it.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #18
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yep, I do realize that, used to have one myself - I'm just trying to talk Tim into buying it so I can watch . He is a Husky afficianado/fan/you name it.
Lol. I get it now. Yeah, Tim....The blue is like a Husky's eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #19
70cst

Looks like a keeper to me

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #20
SS Tim

Wrong Blue, it would look more like this. Even more so if I put a Front Dana 70 under it the Marmon Herrington way. As nice as a Cheyenne Super 30 would be for us, a Cheyenne 30 or Custom Deluxe 30 would be better for my build plans. Really don't like the belt molding. Speaking of blue eyes here is one of my girls.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #21
s_nova69

It does seem to be pretty rare and dry as they come I would imagine.

Mine is not exactly the original color but it is pretty close.

If you could get it for less the 3k it would definitely be worth it.

I am kinda biased on Longhorns these days
Attached Images

4wd '72 Suburban LT4 coming soon!!
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #22
Sicklajoie
The Niner

I actually like the brown...don't like the tan in the center, though.
I test drove a brown/white 72 GMC before I bought the 69'er. Drove it 20 miles then the timing chain broke. He was going to get back to me when he got it fixed but wound up selling it to a guy in Canada. Some things happen for a reason I guess.
Picture of GMC broken down and getting picked up by rollback.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #23
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

The owner from Pahrump who is selling it now bought it from a seller in Henderson.. The Henderson seller had is listed on CL for $2500. Sounds like maybe they're trying to flip it for a profit. I would have to see $2000 in recent receipts.....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #24
jocko

yup, see post 6. Tim posted the ad. Have pics from then too. Of course they could be in cahoots, but I seriously doubt it - current seller bought it back THEN, I doubt he'd hold onto it for a year+ just to throw folks off the scent of a conspiracy.

Sicklajoie - you make a great point - I have to say I don't dislike brown trucks either, but the tan kills it for me (personally), especially the interior. As a matter of fact, if the interior had been changed to the dark brown along with the corresponding main body color, it would look more "natural" to me. Brown+white=very nice combo!

Last edited by jocko; 01-25-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 AM   #25
SS Tim

Quote:
yup, see post 6. Tim posted the ad. Have pics from then too. Of course they could be in cahoots, but I seriously doubt it - current seller bought it back THEN, I doubt he'd hold onto it for a year+ just to throw folks off the scent of a conspiracy.
Actually and more correctly I posted an OLD CL Ad, probably from the first time I saw the truck. Since then I have saved shortcuts to the various ads the last of which were created 12/31/2012 and 12/27/2012 for the truck's ad posted 12/19/2012.
So as late as 12/31/2012 this truck was offered for sale at $2500 by the original seller with the 702=565=6783 phone number.
All the ad headers were the same "72 CHEVY PU LONGHORN".

72 CHEVY PU LONGHORN
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3466215179.html

This is the link (with the new seller's phone number 775-751-0359 dated 12/31/2012 also) I have for the topper that I dug up after seeing it on eBay. It was a reserve auction with one $100.00 bid made. I'd saved it in my watching as a place holder and only removed the night before this thread was started.

chevy longhorn camper shell
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/3509216362.html

It would appear that he did indeed start flipping the topper while the original truck ad was still posted. In fact the old ad is still up (see picture) while the new ads are running. As Pahrump and Henderson are almost the same location it was either a local sale or it has changed into an estate sale with new marketing. But like I posted before they stated they bought the truck to tow with and were selling the topper that came on it. Now they are selling the truck too. Really wonder what the issues are or if it is all seller's smoke.
Attached Images