The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
BobRitts

Adjusting the steering box?

On other cars I've tightened up the steering with the allen screw/locknut atop the steering box with the following procedure:

1) Car off with axle supported, front tires off the ground but at nominal ride-height angles (so PS is off and wheels have no resistance)

2) loosen locknut and tighten allen screw while turning steering shaft back and forth so you can feel when the slack goes out. Care required here as overtightening can ruin the box. PS is off so the assist doesn't mask the friction point you're trying to get just shy of. Dot of white paint helps see how much turning you've done in case you have to undo it.

3) Lock down the locknut and test drive. Wheel should come back to center with little or no effort, if not, need to loosen screw a bit and retest.

Does this work on our boxes? Did a search but didn't find much info besides one guy who did this and broke his box! Anyone do this successfully on our trucks before I turn my truck into a guinea pig?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by BobRitts; 11-15-2006 at 01:01 PM.
BobRitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:30 PM   #2
qksilver

Re: Adjusting the steering box?

It can be done the same but generally the boxes need to be either rebuilt or replaced........
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
396muncie

I tried it the way you listed, but I overtightened it and broke the insides of the box in a middle of a turn. Not fun with a 67 manual steering 4wd. Took me quite awhile til I found another box.
396muncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
BobRitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396muncie View Post
I tried it the way you listed, but I overtightened it and broke the insides of the box in a middle of a turn. Not fun with a 67 manual steering 4wd. Took me quite awhile til I found another box.
Oh good - I feel much better about trying it now...

Did your steering go out 100% when that happened?
BobRitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
53burb

I've done mine when I first bought it. But, like you, I was told to be careful doing it. Luckily nothing broke. I hope it doesn't break before I replace it...This was/is on a '69 Burb 2WD & PS

Last edited by 53burb; 11-16-2006 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added vehicle
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
396muncie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRitts View Post
Oh good - I feel much better about trying it now...

Did your steering go out 100% when that happened?
Well, I forgot to mention I did it in the dark I tried it around my neighborhood and it felt better than before so I called it good enough. Yes, it did quit all at once. I'm pretty sure the worm gear stripped. I was in the middle of a turn and I felt this POP and then the steering wheel just started turning freely. I'd do it a little at a time instead of all at once in the dark like me. Good luck.
396muncie is offline   Reply With Quote