The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
GrymReaper

Charging Circuit

So, I've been having battery issues on my 83 High Sierra. I thought I just had a short to ground and figured an easy fix was just to unhook the neg cable from the battery when it was parked and I'd get to it on spring break ( have a lot of classes currently). Well, the battery got run down nonetheless, so I did a couple tests and figured out a.) the alternator tests fine (I took it in to get bench tested), b.) I don't have a short (my timing light doesn't light up when hooked between the neg battery cable and terminal when the truck is off, and c.) my alternator is definitely not charging my battery (12.5 volts across battery terminals, running or not).
So...do any of you have any insight as to where I should start looking? The connector to the regulator in my alternator is chock full of grease, so i bought a new one and will install it tomorrow, but I have my doubts as to whether this will actually fix my problem. Should I be looking at my battery cables? Any other sneaky spots I might check? The alternator's definitely running the electricity when the car's running, just not charging. Also, my dash voltmeter doesn't read at all. Any help would be appreciated.
GrymReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Charging Circuit

Grym: Check the fuse link wires down at the starter "B" terminal where the battery hooks up. Also check all the fuses, especially the guages and Ign fuses. Let us know what you find, jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:47 AM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

There is a fuseable link on your firewall, by the brake booster and it has a tendency to burn out. Check this link and see if it is complete.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
GrymReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
There is a fuseable link on your firewall, by the brake booster and it has a tendency to burn out. Check this link and see if it is complete.
And that's exactly what it was, too. Thanks guys!
GrymReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
D13

Just be sure to replace it with fuseable link not regualr wire.
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote