The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2005, 02:19 AM   #1
skokie

The history of you and your truck

Not 100% sure that this belongs here but thought I would throw it out there. How did you come across you truck and how long have you been working on it? Here is my story. In aug 03 me and a buddy of mine went to tenn to pick up a 67 chevy short wheel base that has been in my family since I was 5 (28yrs). My father and I were going to restore it together but he was ill and passed mar 2000. So one day my buddy and I were talking about it so away we went. When I got to the truck I took a look and it was heartbreaking.
The floors were almost totally gone there is rust everywhere along the windshield and the corners. Not surface rust either. In essence it it too far gone. I then made the decision that It will remain there and me and my buddy came back to ca. Well as we were pulling in low and behold there was a 68 short fleet for sale up the street. Hard to believe I drove 5800 miles just to end up paying 750.00 for a 68 with a blow motor. So around oct 03 it was still there so I called and we made a deal. Since then I have had a used 350 crate motor put in along with getting the 400 turbo rebuilt. Still going on it to. When I get done it will be as close to stock as I would like minus a few things ex: disk brakes and a bad a$$ stereo Thats my story.

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:30 AM   #2
TRUCKGUY

Wink

I found mine in my uncles junk yard not to much rust he didnt get a title for it so he got a 72 frame and bed and title from some one he painted the frame and thats as far as he got the truck was unbolted from the fram already when i got it......and i seen it setting down there and he wasnt never goin to do anything else with it and we were all just sittin down talkin bout prices on stuff and all and than i asked him how much he wanted for it and i was shalked when he said $400.00 for it and i said that i would try to get it and i started savin money and got it and now i am in the process of fixing it. oh and it didnt have any engine tranny when i got it. i also got the new fram title etc and this all happend last year some time
TRUCKGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:42 AM   #3
A.P.
Black 72 Chevy

My 72 chevy step side was a birthday gift from my older brother. I was in high school and 17 years old. I did nothing to it, it was in good condition. But 8 years later one of my brother gets into an accident, my truck's box gets distroy. Brother gets out without a scratch. He told me that he was going to pay for all the damages. Seven years later I repaired most of the damage and my brother has not given me a penny. I will never let any body borrow my truck ever again!!!

A.P.
A.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:15 AM   #4
69 Short Fleet

Bought mine @ 9 years ago from a meat manager at my local supermarket. Almost had the deal done and his wife tried to talk him out of it!?!?!? This was a very weird experience........ as its almost always the other way around. I conviced them both it would be going into good hands and bought without even test driving it. Was going to give it to my mom and dad for their 40th wedding anniversery after I restored (and then build another one for myself) it but he passed away before I got it finished, mom doesn't drive a standard but we go on trips to the hardware store in the summer.
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:52 AM   #5
HeavyD

I was needing a truck to haul garbage and junk around, and decided I would get a 1972 Chev swb to fix up. Well, after finding nothing for 2 weeks, I stumbled across my 1970 GMC longbox down in a seedy area of town and stopped in to see if it was for sale. It ended up that I sort of knew the guy, he was getting divorced, and would take $700 just so he could sell it before his assets were divided up. It barely ran, had rusted drivers floor/rockers/cab corners/fenders, and was really beat, but I liked the idea of bringing another "old bomb" (as my friends call it) back from the from the dead.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:40 AM   #6
dtlilly
Account Suspended

I needed a step side rear bumper to go on a project and saw a long bed step side truck with a good bumper in a guys yard. I talked to him about the bumper, and he offered me the whole truck so I bought it.

The Blazer I saw advertised on here. It was near where I live and a good price, so I bought it.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:42 AM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I was looking for a project, first one in many, many years. I was talking to a member of the church and I eventually got my truck from him. It was originally his dad's truck. He got it in 85 when his dad passed away. pretty much was used once in a while for hunting trips for him and his son and a few round town errands. I'll have the stepside 3 years this July.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:06 AM   #8
frogsmakr

My '67 was my Dad's. We got it from a junkyard when I was 10 yrs old. He died when I was 15........still got the truck...almost rebuilt.

When I crashed the '67, I had to have something to drive. My wife found the '68. It is short, I am the second owner, and its fairly straight. The first thing I did was disk it
and lower it. Then out came the sick cylinder. Its still got the powerglide tho.
frogsmakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
GreyHoundSteve

This is my second attempt at building a truck. The first attempt was when i was 19 i bought a frame and a cab and got it lowered and rolling before i ran out of money and there it sat for 3 years before my father sold the building i was storing it in and i had to quick sell it because i was living in an apt and just had my daughter and got maried and was broke. I told my wife that i was going to build another the first chance i got so here i am another 3 years later an about $15,000 out of pocket so far but i know this time i'll get it finished and beyound my wildest dreams from when i first started 7 years ago.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:01 AM   #10
Joe67
67 is sold

Dad and I saw our '67 parked in the driveway of a house in his subdivision for a few years. Finally, in 1991 or so, they had a For Sale sign in the window. A week later it was ours

Dad tuned it up and we had both rockers replaced over the years and we used it as a summer driver until 2004. I finally put new tires on it and bought the ECE 2/4 drop kit. On the way to install the kit, the 2nd time I had it out in Spring 2004 it was hit in the right front side and bent the frame.

We are currently working on the rebuild

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:35 AM   #11
69ChevySWB

I found my truck sitting in a field that belonged to one of my wife's friends grandfather. I asked him if I could take a look at the almost 30 old trucks he had sitting in the field. Most were Pre-60's but I saw two 69 SWB chevy's sitting next to each other. After a couple hours of checking both out I finally picked one. Everything was trash except the doors and it did not have a title. I paid $100 for it and hauled it away. This was in February 2002. I have not had too much time to work on it. It is for my son and he is only 5 so I have a few more years to finish it. It is sitting in the garage with discs on the front. The trailing arms and 5 lug rear should be on within the next month. There is a pics link in my signature that shows the most recent pics. The only update is that the frame is now completly painted.

99 2500 Silverado 6.0
05 Suburban (Wife's)
67 Mustang (Wife's)
69ChevySWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

My uncle, who lives in Columbia, SC, bought an all original, except for the green front end, white 67 chevy stepside in early '96. It had about 68,000 original miles on it. It also had the 250 I6 and 3 spd that was converted to a floor shift. He put new brakes and tires on it and drove it like it was. He came up to Ellery, NY to visit. He migrated to SC, the rest of our family lives in NY still. He came up the week of the 4th of july. Drove the truck all week and blew a front brake hose on Friday. In NY it's hard to buy parts for a 67-72 in a parts store because few of these trucks are still on the road up there. They told him they couldn't get the part until Monday. He and his wife had to be back to work on Monday so his brother drove him back home....730 miles. Nice brother, huh? The old truck sat at my Grandpa's house for months and I called my uncle and bugged him about once a week to sell it to me. He finally sold it to me in November '96 for $1400. It's too cold to do anything in NY that time of year and I was only 15 anyway. When spring came I started stripping the body and filling several small dents and few small rust pinholes the the cab/rockers. My dad shot her with black primer and a sealer. I added a stereo and some door panels, column, seat, sunvisors from a '72 custom. My avatar pic is about 1 week after she was finished in June '97. I drove it like that for about 2 years. Went to Clemson University in SC and came back home for 2 summers and put her back on the road immediately. Ran out of money and she sat for 2 years. I then had her towed to SC, back to the original Uncle's house who sold it to me because I was now living there during the summer because of an internship. In summer '03 I added power disk brakes, a 350, and 700R4. Drove it to Clemson for a year and the tranny blew. I have since graduated and moved to an apartment in Greenville, SC. I hate not having a garage and my baby is currently sitting at my uncles house awaiting a new tranny.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #13
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I was driving a 75 4x4 and the body was shot,trans slipped,rusted through in the floors,and when the wiring burnt I decided I had enough.Dad came out and says I think you'r working on the wrong truck,and points to the 71 he had bought to fix for himself.
He says it's a little rough,hasn't had an engine for 8 years,and it's yours if you want it.
I jumped on it,and drove it home 2 weeks later.It still needs paint,a seat,carpet,and some small stuff,but it is dependable,and in pretty good shape.

Anyways I've had it prolly 6 months,and I think I am about to get it lined out.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:58 PM   #14
sdmahr

In 1999 I embarked on building a new house. The contractor had a "hauling truck" he used to haul lumber, concrete, water, you name it, it hauled it ! During the course of the year it took to complete the house, the old green pick-up's battery died and two of the four tires were flat. At the house closing, I told the contractor not to worry about coming to get the truck....just drop the title off in the mailbox ! ( I knew this 69' C-10 Step Side Chevrolet was tired and ugly....but I also knew it had POTENTIAL)

Well, a few days later he dropped off the bill-of-sale, (back in those days, no title was issued in that state). Bottom line: Truck was mine !

Turns out he had bought the truck at an auction.....from the University of Mississippi. It was a maintenance truck for the University from 1969 until 1998 when he bought it. It had a great history of maintenance since it was state-owned.....just UGLY.

I have fixed most of the major stuff and it now sports new paint, bed wood, seat, brakes, shocks, tires, and rims. It also got a 350 V8 and and TH350 trans to replace the ole 250 I6 and 3 sp.

I have to finish the interior but it is definately a driver. I was lucky to get one with such a defined history and Southern Heritage ! !
sdmahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:43 PM   #15
BigDave
I poop on Ford!

Back in the early 80's I worked at a gas station part time through high school pumping gas, fixing flats, changing oil, and doing light mechanic work. The owner of the station was a 72 Chevy truck nut. At various times he owned or restored a 72 Stepside, 72 Cheyenne Super, 72 Cheyenne, 72 K-5 Blazer, and others I cannot even remember. There was one though that I fell in love with. It was his very first 72 Cheyenne. His father bought it for him when he was 17 and the guy really worshipped the truck. When I worked for him it looked and smelled brand new. He used to let me move it when I opened up and park it inside when I closed.

After I went away to college I kept in touch with him and would visit him from time to time. Everytime I saw him I would tell him, "If you ever decide to sell that truck, call me first."

A few years ago my old boss called me and said he was getting ready to retire. He told me that he had a project truck he just couldn't finish and wanted to offer it to me first. It was a 72 two wheel drive Blazer and it was about 60 % restored. The body and interior had seen some good work but the engine and tranny were in bad shape. I jumped at the chance and within about a year I had it where it is now.

In March of 2003 he called me again. This time I knew it was for the Cheyenne. I guess the Blazer was a test and I guess I passed. He offered it to me and I was there the next weekend to pick it up. A single owner 1972 Cheyenne, 402BB, with factory air, tilt, 85,000 original miles, and the engine and tranny have never been out of the truck. There are still grease markings on the frame and firewall. It's an awesome thing.

I still have to slap myself when I go outside and see those bad boys sitting there side be side.
BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:00 PM   #16
sactoC10
71 DELUX

Divorce (and the related financial crunch) caused me to sell my 1955 Fat Fendered Ford F100...no project to play with, but my kids loved dad's "old" truck.

Enter my new wife and her daughter and her dad's old truck (now my truck). It was sitting under a pine tree, collecting sap and needles in his yard. He said that he was eventually going to sell it, it was his dad's since it left the dealer lot...but he didn't have time to prep it for sale. I told him "don't bother" I'll take it.

Now it is ours, my step-daughter thinks it is funny that it is now in our yard, my kids are glad dad has another "old truck" to play with. That was a year and a half ago. Plan on keeping it as long as possible, hopefully MANY years.
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:33 PM   #17
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

Mine came from my uncle. He bought if for my cousin to use as his high school ride, but they could never get it running right. They and another cousin put a lot of work into it, rebuilt engine, hot rodded a little, completetly new brakes, new radiator, new wheels and tires, and some body panels have been replaced. My cousin since has moved 10 hours away to Nashville, and my Uncle has separated from my aunt, so she said the truck had to go, it had just been sitting at their house for 5 years, not running or anything. They knew I liked the truck, so now it's mine. My whole plan has been to just get it running and use it for dump runs, Home Depot etc. The cab is way too rusted to put a lot of money into, now If I find a good deal on another cab, the plan may change completely.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #18
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I was freshly 16 and tired of driving my extemely crappy and ugly '91 S10. I had a job and was making money, so i started to look for a 67-72. One of my friends had a '71 GMC that i loved, so i started looking and 67-72's. I looked for about 3 months before my friends dad told me about a co-worker selling a '72 C10. He hadn't advertised it yet but was planning to. I looked up the guy's number, showed up at his house, and fell in love with the truck. I looked it over, drove it, and bought it. Over 4 years later i still have it, although it is in MUCH worse shape than the day i drive it, and the entire drivetrain the the exception of the driveshaft has been swapped out. Runs 10x better than the day i got it but looks 10x worse. Oh well....

The guy who had it before me only had it for 8 months or so and had brought it up to Missouri from Mountain Home, Arkansas. I found a receipt with the former owner's name in the glovebox, but couldn't find his phone number anywhere to call and ask him about the truck. I'm pretty sure its an original Arkansas truck though, before it was brought up into Missouri.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:44 PM   #19
ryanroo

My 72 K20 was my grandads he bought it new and i still have the bill of sale and all the paper work that came with it. he used it as a farm truck for probably 15 or 20 years then it sat for prolly five. he gave it to me when i was 13 because he had no use for it and always saw me eyballing it. he passed in '01 and i have modified it a little since then, but i plan on making it alot more like it was when i got it from him and then leaving it. the other ones one really dont have any history just sw them on the board and wanted them so i bought them.
Ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:37 PM   #20
RainFade

Talking

Got married to a woman with 2 young wonderful kids. My '03 superduty regular cab was my daily driver and was NOT going to cut it with 4 of us in the cab.
Traded in my truck on a leftover '04 impala to haul us all comfortably.
I may be spoiled but I simply can NOT live without a truck around the house, but as it didn't have to be a daily driver I could have a TOY... it just had to haul stuff for around the house as well.

I have ALWAYS loved 67-72 4x4 long wheel base 3/4 ton pickups both Ford and Chevrolet/GMC with the nod to Chevy/GMC's for looks.

My new wife was TOTALLY ok with my buying a 71 or 72 chevy 4x4 3/4 LWB fleetside, saying " those look cool with some decent skins and fresh colors I can definitely see cruising with you in one of those GET ONE"

Went on ebay and found exactly what I wanted in Montana of all places in darn good shape. ebay auction

Will need holes filled when I remove the saddle tanks, needs passenger rocker and cab corner, needs driver fender (got one here)...otherwise minor dents and paint... oh and bed wood.

IF I can't get the part throttle drivability issue i'm fighting resolved it may just get a caddy 500 my buddy has lying around in the shop. Practical no but the fun factor would be off the hook

2 months and limited funds have got it to here and running way better.

as she sits

My lame K20 page

My lame Eaton disc brake page

RainFade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:38 PM   #21
LT4XTREME

When I was little my grandpaw had a white swb fleetside 6 cyl 3 on the tree. He passed away in the late 70's and my cousin that lived next door to grandma got it when he started driving in the early to mid eighties. I loved that truck my cousin painted it red and put alum slots on it then ran it in the ditch with just a little damage on the door and bedside. So he parked it and moved on to something else but he would not sell it. In 90 while at high school I was at the gas station across the street for lunch talking with some friends. A 71 swb fleetside red with alum slots pulled in for gas and I told a friend that I wanted a truck like that. Then I walked over to the owner and asked him about it $1500 what he said so I got his number and later dad and I went to look at it 350 4 barrel th350 custom diamond pleated interior. So I bought it. Within six moths it blew up found out it was a 307 so I bought a 71 3/4 ton long bed from a friend that had a fresh rebuild and swaped them out in shop class. Then later the next year my grandma told me that my cousin sold grandpaw's 67 to another cousin for a while and he had it for sale. So I bought it for $400 along the way I installed a 283 and a th350 5 lug disc brakes, auto column, gauges, and the wider alum slots and 275/60/15 from the 71 and the metal floored bed from the 71. I tore it all apart in 94 and then got off on to a 80 El Camino SS project then a 86 Monte Carlo SS then I bought a 99 S-10 Xtreme new and last spring I got a 96 Cadillac Fleetwood (LT1 powered) and when I get this new shop built I have to get started on it. Hi my nam is Jason and I'm a Chevyholic and can only be cured after the disease runs it's course (you own all you want)
LT4XTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:45 PM   #22
Broken_down?

I got my 50th from my grand father. His older brother had it sence forever. I remember riding it @ like 9yrs old. Well he passed and left the truck to my grandfather. I had restored a 72 CST K5 blazer with my dad. I decided that I would rather have the truck then the blazer. My grand father said woudl I like to trade. I said hell ya. So That how I got my truck. I found out later it was a 50th and no one ever new..lol She is parked right now getting ready for a restro.

Rich
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #23
Putter
More Cowbell....

Grandpa bought a 1969 C-10 in early October of 1969. I was born in early October of 1971. I always like the truck and often helped him work on it. In the early 1990's he passed away and left me the truck. I have had it ever since. As mentioned in a different post a while back, I have most of the original paperwork, including the original sales contract with the application for financing, and the original "card-stock" title. Have no plans to sell it....EVER. If it ever gets totaled, I will buy it back just for the sake of keeping it in the family.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:20 PM   #24
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I got my 67 from my good friend after he was out racing with his boy and it started making a ticking noise in the engine. I told him it was probably just a collapsed lifter and easy to fix. He said he was tired of it and was going to sell it. I really wasn't interested in it because I had my 1974 corvette convertible, but when he told me what he'd sell it to me for it was an offer I couldn't refuse. The ticking turned out to be a flat cam lobe. He gave me a built 355 to put in it so I pulled the old engine and as soon as the weather warms up here I'm going to slap that in and get it on the road.
vettevet

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #25
Peregrine

After drivign a 87 Chevy Cavalier station wagon for 2 years I started looking for a older chevy to buy after I turned 18. I looked into Chevelles, Novas, Impalas, and saw this truck on a website. My dad owns a 82 c10 and I wanted to make that mine and fix it up, but he wouldn't let me. I've always liked big, older trucks. I went out to the guys house and checked it out with a mechanic friend of mine. Bought it the next day. It felt so good to be able to say it was MY truck, bought with money I earned and the title in my name. Still does, actually. Plus I get a hoss car without paying out the ass in insurance.

Let the world change you and you will change the world.

Last edited by Peregrine; 01-25-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote