The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2022, 12:19 PM   #1
Accelo

Carpet quality control issues?

I received this carpet that is for behind the seat in a relocated gas tank 1972 C10 1/2T truck.
I also purchased the floor carpeting. It worked out nicely.
The color match is right on.
However, the way this back panel carpet is cut and sewn makes no sense.
I think it is not correctly cut or sewn. For instance there is a seam in the back about 1/3 down the middle? One side looks good, the other is unworkable.
I am attempting to get it replaced? The local Upholstery guy is know in two states and does excellent work. He replicated my seat covers in the material I wanted for less than the covers would have cost, not including installation. He says he can fix it. I'm not looking for perfect as it is behind the seats. However, I wonder of the quality of employees assembling this stuff.
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:31 PM   #2
69 customcamper

Re: Carpet quality control issues?

lOOKS LIKE CARPET FOR TRUCKS WITH GAS TANK IN CAB
69 customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:47 PM   #3
Richard

In your pics the carpet is upside down. Hemmed/finished edge goes on bottom. The left side in your pics is the driver side. Carpet is made to wrap around the tank on that side. The upper edge is unfinished. Would tuck under a fastening strip.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:28 PM   #4
Accelo

Here is a picture of the clip on the back of the carpet. It is on what appears as up in the picture.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2022, 07:37 PM   #5
jocko

Can you clarify - did you buy a carpet for the rear of the cab (a stock carpet that covers the tank in a bucket seat truck) or did you pay a custom upholsterer to make a carpet for a truck for which you have removed the in-cab gas tank? If you bought a stock carpet, it is not made to fit in the cab without a tank (or at the very least, would require modification to make it fit somehow). The carpet guy comments are throwing me off - did he make the carpet or is he installing it for you? The more I look, I am assuming it's a custom carpet since I don't see the little hook loops for hanging it - so if it's custom, there's really no way for us to know if it's "right"(?) Not sure - sorry, not much help, just hoping to clarify the situation maybe.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:55 PM   #6
Accelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Can you clarify - did you buy a carpet for the rear of the cab (a stock carpet that covers the tank in a bucket seat truck) .
I purchased this from Classic Parts. To confirm I went back and looked up my original order, which I saved. Should have been a cover "without a tank installed." Looks like the crew is correct, as the order says "gas tank cover" item 23-765. Looks like you have identified the culprit. As I assumed I ordered the correct part and also received the correct one. Oops!

The clips must be for attaching the carpet to the top of the tank. Guess I will have the expert fix it. As a side note I paid $94.95 and the current price is $104 a 9.5% increase. I do not even see any carpeting, with the tank removed, at Classic.

As consumers we are stuck between long order times and short return windows?
I appreciate everyone that took the time to write. Great resource that is very much appreciated.

Last edited by Accelo; 03-19-2022 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:09 PM   #7
jocko

Glad you got it sorted out Accelo - I would imagine Classic Parts would honor a return/refund for what you paid if they don't have the right kind of carpet you are looking for originally. People make mis-orders all the time (or at least I do), and most (good) company's will honor a refund - it's just good business in the long run. Hope it works out for you!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:22 AM   #8
mkmc69

So where do you purchase a carpet that is for a high hump with the gas tank removed? Does that even exist?
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:58 AM   #9
Accelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmc69 View Post
So where do you purchase a carpet that is for a high hump with the gas tank removed? Does that even exist?
My truck is a low hump. This carpet was for covering the fuel tank behind the seat. Not for the floor. However, they do make it for the low hump floor like this one;

https://www.brotherstrucks.com/1967-...tinfo/CPT42NT/

The large hump one here;
https://www.brotherstrucks.com/1967-...tinfo/CPT44NT/
Old 03-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #10
sfont66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmc69 View Post
It does exist, and in the past I have been able to recommend ACC without reservation, but recently I was disappointed. I have ordered the ACC carpet through Rockauto in the past and have been very happy with it. In December I ordered carpet, and it fit well, but was short by 6”. They figured out the box was mislabeled so I sent it back, and reordered again. This time the carpet was cut poorly around the transmission tunnel, and out of square by the back of the cab.
This carpet was also returned, and again I reordered, finally on the 3rd attempt, I think it will work ok.
1st pic is good fitting carpet ordered in 2020, no issues.
2nd pic shows carpet 6”+ short of back of cab
3rd pic is Poor fitting carpet on top of good fitting carpet,to show problem areas.
4th pic is the same poorly cut/fitting carpet in the cab
5th pic is final carpet that will work ok…. Normally I would lay it in the sun for a while to help relax the wrinkles , but I needed to check the fit.
In the end, Rockauto and ACC made it right, just took a while.
ACC part# 17905-232
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2022, 08:43 PM   #11
mkmc69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfont66 View Post
It does exist, and in the past I have been able to recommend ACC without reservation, but recently I was disappointed. I have ordered the ACC carpet through Rockauto in the past and have been very happy with it. In December I ordered carpet, and it fit well, but was short by 6”. They figured out the box was mislabeled so I sent it back, and reordered again. This time the carpet was cut poorly around the transmission tunnel, and out of square by the back of the cab.
This carpet was also returned, and again I reordered, finally on the 3rd attempt, I think it will work ok.
1st pic is good fitting carpet ordered in 2020, no issues.
2nd pic shows carpet 6”+ short of back of cab
3rd pic is Poor fitting carpet on top of good fitting carpet,to show problem areas.
4th pic is the same poorly cut/fitting carpet in the cab
5th pic is final carpet that will work ok…. Normally I would lay it in the sun for a while to help relax the wrinkles , but I needed to check the fit.
In the end, Rockauto and ACC made it right, just took a while.
ACC part# 17905-232
Good to know.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:58 PM   #12
davischevy

A couple of months ago I ordered ACC carpet with mass backing for a Blazer through Rock Auto. The first carpet had a big picked place in the cargo area. Rock Auto contacted ACC and they sent another piece for the cargo area. The replacement piece they sent had no backing. I went back to Rock Auto to report the second problem and got a message that the case was closed because ti had been more than thirty days. WTH. Rock Auto has no means to contact them with a problem once an order is closed.

We ended up gluing backing to the new piece.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:42 AM   #13
mkmc69

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:38 PM   #14
LS short box

As a cheaper alternative to the rear carpet you can use trunk liner. Cut to fit and glue it in place. Can't what colors are available. My carpet was black.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote