The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 AM   #1
BowTieOgre

New rims...damaged!!

Well I bought a set of brand new in the box 17x8 TT2s from a guy in South Florida for a song and had him ship them to me. I didnt specify the carrier so he sent them USPS. Well they show up and one box is rattling I open it up and there are lug nuts everywhere and the rim has nicks in a dozen places.

He had opened the bag when he got them just to make sure they fit but he closed the bag and put it in a zip top bag for transport. The odd thing about the bag is it is still sealed but there is a cut almost all the way across that looks like it was done with a utility knife AND 3 of the lug nuts are missing! The seller and I are still trying to figure that one out.

Luckily we insured them for $250 a box but my preliminary conversation with the carrier and his boss (via his cell phone) makes me think they wont cover it because it sounds like a packing issue to them. Has anyone had any dealings with USPS insurance? The seller said he would buy me a replacement but I would rather the carrier pay for it than him.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
HuggerCST

Re: New rims...damaged!!

Man, that sucks. I've had plenty of similar problems with shippers, but not USPS. I hope that you get it worked out, and if you want to sell the damaged one let me know.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
abebummy26

That suxx

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
BowTieOgre

Im hoping that I can get this worked out. I just cant figure out how a thick gauge bag of lug nuts came untaped and cut its way out of a zip top bag.

Oh, I opened the other boxes and guess what...bent lip on one of the other rims. Im sure they will want to fix it rather than replace it.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

So... lug nuts are missing with a wheel thats all ding'd up... (is that box cut on the sides anywhere)? If not... the bag was cut prior to packaging and how would 3 lugnuts fall out?? AND also a rim is bent?? I know u hate to hear it... but my opinion... you sound like you just got screwed (and that would be from the seller). I would be willing to bet that he does not buy you another rim. Im not tryn to be too negative to you... but sometimes outsiders 'me/others' are seeing what you are not. Again,the above is JMO.. I hope it works out the best for you.

Anthony

Last edited by CLASSIC87'; 02-13-2008 at 10:44 AM.
CLASSIC87' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
spr85gmc

yeah he screwed
spr85gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

are the nicks too deep to polish out or repair?
i never deal with usps insurance but with any insurance they love to collect money but find any possible excuse not to pay out

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
spr85gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
i never deal with usps insurance but with any insurance they love to collect money but find any possible excuse not to pay out
this is true get some pics if possible
spr85gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:28 AM   #9
BowTieOgre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC87' View Post
So... lug nuts are missing with a wheel thats all ding'd up... (is that box cut on the sides anywhere)? If not... the bag was cut prior to packaging and how would 3 lugnuts fall out?? AND also a rim is bent?? I know u hate to hear it... but my opinion... you sound like you just got screwed (and that would be from the seller). I would be willing to bet that he does not buy you another rim. Im not tryn to be too negative to you... but sometimes outsiders 'me/others' are seeing what you are not. Again,the above is JMO.. I hope it works out the best for you.

Anthony
If I hadnt met the seller in person and seen the wheels first hand I would tend to agree with you that I am probably screwed but I visually inspected the rims before I bought them and everything was NIB condition. I called the guy as soon as I got them and told him about the damage and he offered right there on the spot to send me the funds to buy a replacement but since he is such a stand up guy I told him lets wait and see what the USPS says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
I talked to a local company and he said it would be about $125 to fix the bent rim and about the same to take the dents out of the other one.

I went to the post office this afternoon and boy was that a blast. They wanted a receipt (sorry, cash purchase) then they wanted to know what I paid for them so they could knock down the claim amount, THEN they wanted to know how long the PO had them so they could what, figure in depreciation??? Well I walked out of there with a bad feeling about the whole situation and no rims. I should know something in a week or two.

Oh, they scoffed at the packaging "THATS how they packed it?!?" and tried to act like I should have known that a big machine manhandles anything marked Standard Mail. Its funny that the other 2 arrived safe and undamaged yet the 2 that I brought them looked as if they fell off the back of a truck.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
502tripower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowTieOgre View Post
If I hadnt met the seller in person and seen the wheels first hand I would tend to agree with you that I am probably screwed but I visually inspected the rims before I bought them and everything was NIB condition. I called the guy as soon as I got them and told him about the damage and he offered right there on the spot to send me the funds to buy a replacement but since he is such a stand up guy I told him lets wait and see what the USPS says.

I talked to a local company and he said it would be about $125 to fix the bent rim and about the same to take the dents out of the other one.

I went to the post office this afternoon and boy was that a blast. They wanted a receipt (sorry, cash purchase) then they wanted to know what I paid for them so they could knock down the claim amount, THEN they wanted to know how long the PO had them so they could what, figure in depreciation??? Well I walked out of there with a bad feeling about the whole situation and no rims. I should know something in a week or two.

Oh, they scoffed at the packaging "THATS how they packed it?!?" and tried to act like I should have known that a big machine manhandles anything marked Standard Mail. Its funny that the other 2 arrived safe and undamaged yet the 2 that I brought them looked as if they fell off the back of a truck.
I purchased a crankshaft pulley that was used on 1961 348/409's. A very hard part to find. It was shipped USPS and damaged. When filing the claim the post office said if I wanted to collect on the claim I would have to hand over the pulley and they would not pay to have it repaired. The pully was very repairable. Luckily The seller took care of the issue but the USPS just shrugged their shoulders. Typical government BS.
1963' Chev Custom Cab 502, 67' 435hp 3X2 intake, 9" 4:30 Posi
1961 Impala SS 348/350 4-speed 3:70 Posi
1961 Bel-Air Bubble Top 283 Turboglide soon to have a 348 3X2 4-speed
1950 17' Fairliner twin cockpit barrel stern 312 Y block 1X1 intake Borg Warner 1:1 gear
1957 Fleetform 14' twin cockpit barrel stern 1969 BP-125 Merc
1949 Transitier 3-wheel forklift Crosley 4-Banger
98' FXD
2002 2500HD
502tripower is offline   Reply With Quote