The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Nomadicflyer

Camper Special wiring harness

I'm installing an AAW Classic Upgrade kit, but it doesn't include the heavy duty wiring for the camper plug or trailer wiring on my 72 C20. Before I go making up a new one from scratch, and figuring out where to splice it into the new harness, I thought I'd ask for help.

Anyone been there/done that? Does anyone make such a thing? What kind of plug did you use for the camper outlet at the cab corner?

Secondary question: If I'm going to add an isolated trailer light package, I'm thinking I should power the camper off of that circuit, and add on a power lead for camper accessories. That way the camper will be isolated, any shorts won't affect the truck, just the trailer circuit.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!
Old 03-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
Nomadicflyer

Re: Camper Special wiring harness

Does anyone have a favorite trailer wiring harness that is isolated from the chasis wiring? I'd probably want to have one that allows for trailer brakes.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
jocko

I'd post a WTB, I believe there are a few members that make these, or, if someone has a used one, you could at least get all the connectors and build your own. I'd start with RogerCoop or GMachinz, but not certain they have or make them - but they've always helped me out. Wiring diagram and some very helpful pics that Jim (Firstowner69) shared with me below - and an excerpt of what he sent me for camper wiring that I will pass along as well - don't thank me, thank Jim! (thanks again Jim, awesome info)

You should be able to see in the third picture I sent where the tape wrapped wires go down the firewall with the other wires to the wire harness retaining clips on the inside of the frame. They continue down the inside of the frame to the rear of the cab where they pass through to the outside of the frame below the front BED mount bracket. From there, they go up to the back of the cab where they are secured to the cab by a loop attached with a hex head sheet metal screw (1/4"?). Mine is just above the cab floor, but I've heard of some being just below the floor which would eliminate any gas tank damage risk. When delivered to the dealer, the harness was to have been run between the bed and cab, bundled and placed in the left front stake pocket. Any attachments/connectors were left to the dealer, buyer, RV dealer, etc. The option is still available on today's trucks ($35) and is still delivered the same way, except the bundled wires are attached to the frame.

The first picture below shows the location of the cab attachment point which looks like a white spot above the frame and just below the second embossed area on the cab. You can also see the harness passing through the frame. The second picture is a better shot of the frame hole location below the front BED mount. It's ragged, and, yes, it's the way it was done at the factory. The hole is slightly more than 3/4".
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
jocko

a few more pics from Jim for the camper harness - hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
davepl

I bought a generic "our trucks" one but it turned out not to have a backup lamp connection so I had to splice and solder anyway.

If you can find a -better- one, they insert themselves at the connector back by the rear bumper. No cut, no splice... if it has all of lines you need.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
jocko

"our trucks"? do tell.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
"our trucks"? do tell.
"1967 though 1972 Chevrolet C/K 10, C20 , C30 or GMC 1500, 2500, 3500 C/K Pickup, Suburban and Blazer" == "Our Trucks".

I just didn't want to type it all out... but I meant it was made specifically for "our trucks" on the package.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
Nomadicflyer

Thanks, Jocko! And Jim!

My cab has a camper power plug at the top of the LH rear corner.... I guess that was one of those "At the Dealer" mods. I still have it, it's got a spring closed flapper that covers the outlet when not in use.

For most of the cab campers, are the umbilical cords at the bumper? Or at the front of the campers? I've never had one, but this truck needs to have something... a camper in the bed, or a 5th wheel (age appropriate, if possible) trailer behind.

Thanks again!

Nomadic
Old 03-06-2017, 10:43 PM   #9
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicflyer View Post
Thanks, Jocko! And Jim!

My cab has a camper power plug at the top of the LH rear corner.... I guess that was one of those "At the Dealer" mods. I still have it, it's got a spring closed flapper that covers the outlet when not in use.

For most of the cab campers, are the umbilical cords at the bumper? Or at the front of the campers? I've never had one, but this truck needs to have something... a camper in the bed, or a 5th wheel (age appropriate, if possible) trailer behind.

Thanks again!

Nomadic
You are welcome.

I've seen several pictures on this forum that show dealer installed plugs near the top of the B pillar between the driver side door and rear window as you've described. If I recall correctly, the wires on mine (and the brand new trucks) are not long enough to reach the rear bumper. The location on the campers vary by manufacturer. On my original '69 camper, the camper harness (the one on the camper) enters on the left side near the rear of the camper (I extended it so it would reach the front of the bed). On my 2001 Lance, it enters on the left near the front. For my new trucks I install a 7 pin plug through the left bed side between the header panel and rear wheel housing which works great with the Lance and my 5th wheel as well as the '69 camper.

Jim
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
67 chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
You are welcome.

I've seen several pictures on this forum that show dealer installed plugs near the top of the B pillar between the driver side door and rear window as you've described. If I recall correctly, the wires on mine (and the brand new trucks) are not long enough to reach the rear bumper. The location on the campers vary by manufacturer. On my original '69 camper, the camper harness (the one on the camper) enters on the left side near the rear of the camper (I extended it so it would reach the front of the bed). On my 2001 Lance, it enters on the left near the front. For my new trucks I install a 7 pin plug through the left bed side between the header panel and rear wheel housing which works great with the Lance and my 5th wheel as well as the '69 camper.

Jim
My 67 had that plug , it seemed to be factory , also 4 cleats on bedside , for presumed topper hold downs
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #11
Tuff Gong

I have an NOS one for 73 trucks. The only difference is the length of the red power wire. You would have to extend that. I can pull out the installation instructions and post pictures it you want.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=710705
Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:29 PM   #12
Nomadicflyer

Thanks, Brian~ I'm gonna build up a new run of wire, clean up and reuse the old plug. Appreciate the offer, though!

Jim, thanks again for the info. Sounds like putting the plug back into the B pillar will mostly be for looks, which is fine. I like it, and it covers the hole. I'll add a trailer light harness/brake add on, through an isolator. I'm guessing most of the stuff I'll be powering will run off of this.

Jim, do you run an isolator and trailer light harness?

Kevin
Old 03-07-2017, 12:33 AM   #13
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicflyer View Post
Thanks, Brian~ I'm gonna build up a new run of wire, clean up and reuse the old plug. Appreciate the offer, though!

Jim, thanks again for the info. Sounds like putting the plug back into the B pillar will mostly be for looks, which is fine. I like it, and it covers the hole. I'll add a trailer light harness/brake add on, through an isolator. I'm guessing most of the stuff I'll be powering will run off of this.

Jim, do you run an isolator and trailer light harness?

Kevin
I used the truck to haul the '69 camper until 1987. It did not have the auxiliary battery option, and I did not run a battery isolator. I also had a 4-wire connector at the rear to tow a boat. I wired that the old school way by splicing into the rear harness. If you are looking for a 4-wire connector at the rear here's an option that's a lot cleaner since it plugs into the rear harness. http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...OLET&model=200 If you need a 7-wire connector at the rear you could cut the 4-wire plug off this then run 12V hot, backup light and brake wires from the front and connect all wires to a 7-pin plug.

Incidentally, the original camper harness had only 6 wires (no brake wire).

Jim
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #14
Tuff Gong

Pics for reference. Maybe it will help
Attached Images

Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #15
Nomadicflyer

Thanks, Brian! Jim! Dave! I need all the help I can get!

I'm just about done with the dash and cab wiring, about ready to hit the engine and rear body/camper wiring. I imagine I will have to reread all these posts and pictures a few more times over the next day or so!

Kevin