The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
dirty230

235 engine thread

I am going to post anything I do to my 235 in here.
Please add to it.I need all the help I can get.

I could not run without the choke out.If it idled below 900 rpm the blue bomber would stall.
I sprayed brake cleaner around the carb all good.Next I sprayed the intake .The gasket in the middle port was coming out and the one closest to the cab was sucking air.

I bought new gasketsName:  IMG_2015050216654.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2015050246972.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  51.9 KB
dirty230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
dirty230

Re: 235 engine thread

235 Intake gasket install.
Stock with a rochester1bl
Very easy and saves you a few duckets in labor costs
It took 2 x7/16"wrenches a 1/2 " a 9/16" a flathead screwdriver and needle nose pliers.
Remove air filter.
Unhook oil can from intake undo the nuts(1/2") u bolts. Leave the hoses on and set aside.
Unhook fuel line to carb (1/2" and 9/16")
unhook vacuum line to carb (2 7/16" wrenches)
Pull pin to throttle linkage at the carb(needle nose)
remove carb base nuts (9/16") and set aside. Keep the carb upright and you wont leak gas all over.
Loosen the heat hose clamp and pull heat hose from intake.
The gasket kit comes with the intake to exhaust manifold gasket.I split the intake and the exhaust. 2(9/16") bolts under the intake on the fender side and 2 (9/16")nuts on top of the intake head side.
Loosen the manifold bolts(9/16") to the head.
Tap on the intake break it loose from the exhaust manifold.
Remove the manifold bolts.2 long on each end and 4 short in the middle.
Remove intake from the exhaust. Check the heat flapper.
pull exhaust off the pins and it will drop a little and stay put.You don't need to remove the exhaust pipe unless you want to change out the doughnut.
Clean everything up.Make sure you dont get garbage in your intake ports.l used Indian head shellac lightly on the head and paper side of the gaskets. Let it dry a little then put the gaskets so they all line up good.
I put the exhaust manifold back on the pins and pull your throttle linkage back up.
Set the intake back on the exhaust. Run your manifold bolts back into the head just finger tight so the gaskets don't move. Start the 2 bolts under the intake exhaust and the 2 nuts on top.
The 4 manifold bolt hold downs in the middle I couldn't see any difference in orientation. They were stamped with a B so I just put it up so I could read it.
The 2 longer bolt hold downs at each end do have to be oriented. 1 side is for intake the other is for exhaust. I didn't look up the torque. I just tightened it up real good.
I used the old carb base gasket.as it looked like new.I put that liquid Teflon on the vacuum line and the the fuel line threads put it back together and walla.The blue bomber is running like new.
I adjusted the idle mixture and the idle to a little less than 500 rpms . I went for a drive it idles so smooth and quiet every time I stop at a light I think it died on me.
Well worth the 3 1/2 hours of work. I took my time.
dirty230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Re: 235 engine thread

Tune ups are never a bad thing. Good work! Glad its running good again. Now that everything is ok you can put a 5 speed behind it. lol
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote