The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
kpc01

2002 frame fitment?

In all my research and getting ready to take my 64 suburban body off and do all my cleaning and notching to the frame I had a friend put a thought in my head. I have a 2002 suburban I'm using for a donor for the leather, 5.3, guages etc etc. He mentioned he could shorten the frame for me and make the necessary bumper brackets. it looks like the notch kits and ways to bag this frame are a ton cheaper and I could use all the newer stuff like rack and pinion and the disc brakes on it.

the 02 has a wheel base of 130 and a width of 78.9
the 64 has a wheel base of 115 and width of 79.5 (if I'm remembering correctly)

anyone tried this or have any input? other than the obvious that we'd have to take 15 or so inches out of the new frame are there any other major issues to make it not worth it?
kpc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 2002 frame fitment?

There have been some conversions done like this, but I believe most of them are 4wd's. There is another recently posted thread on this very subject, with some pics. Here is the thread

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=502712

Personally I have not mounted a '60-'66 body onto a '88 and up frame, they just look like way too much work for really no benefit....IMO. I have installed a '62 body onto a '74 frame 20+ years ago, and I would not do it again. The '63-'66 frames are very easy to upgrade with the '71-'87 suspension, steering and braking components, without having to fabricate all new body mounts, and possible modify the floor. Another thing to consider when swithching frame. is how does that affects future title and licensing. Some states require you to provide receipts for all major rebuild components, and then apply for a reconstructed vehicle title. Here in Idaho, if you haven't followed the rules regarding this, and if they even slightly suspect any components as not being legit, your vehicle is subject to confication and being crushed. That would suck in a big way! Before proceding, I would suggest contacting your local DMV and see what they say about what you are proposing to do. If they say okay go ahead, get it in writing from someone of authority, such as your state motor vehicle investigator.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
kpc01

Re: 2002 frame fitment?

FINALLY found something that might be helpful. Other than the fact its all in MM I found some dimensions. anyone have a link or image handy for the 1964 suburban frame dimensions? Something similar to this link

http://www.mycertifiedservice.com/gm...Dimensions.pdf
kpc01 is offline   Reply With Quote