The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2017, 12:19 AM   #1
Cris

Review of Early Classics 5" Drop and Shock Relocate Kit

Thought I would write this stuff down for the next person that might do this. I own a 1963 short fleet. It is a pretty original truck with a 230 inline six and three on the tree.

I just got done putting on Early Classic's rear 5" drop springs, shock relocate kit, drop shocks, and 2" drop springs in front (no dropped spindles).

Attached is a picture of how the truck now sits.

With the 5" drop in the rear and the 2" drop in front, the truck sits dead level. Clearance from the rear axle to the frame is 4". Clearance from the top of the differential to the (original) wood bed is 4 7/8".

Distance of the frame (right before the rear kick-up) to the ground is 11". (My tires are 215/75/15.) Rear fender lip to ground is 24 1/2", and front fender lip to ground is 30 1/2".

Here' another pic:

I tried to use Early Classic's super track bar, but on the 63 and 64 trucks it requires the removal of the stock track bar mount on the axle. 65 and up do not have this bracket. I ended up keeping my stock track bar, putting in new rubber bushings, and cleaning it up. It now sits about level after lowering the truck (instead of angling down from the frame). Here's a shot of the track bar and rear of the suspension:

Here's a shot showing rear frame clearance:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1496979135

Overall my experience with Early Classics was very positive. There was always a knowledgeable person available to answer my questions and they genuinely listened to my feedback.

I would recommend you make sure to get the "good" hardware for the lower rear shock mount from them. When I first received the shock relocation kit, it came with only a bolt to attach the shock to the rear mount. In the Early Classics lower mount, the shock is cantilevered, and I did not feel a simple bolt was adequate to hold the shock. When I called to comment, they said I needed their stud mount and sent if free of charge. This is a substantial improvement over simply using a bolt. Their reasoning for not sending it in the first place was I ordered their drop shocks separately and without knowing what shocks were being used, they sent the bolt for mounting

I would also question whether on a 63 to 66 truck if Early Classics' lower shock mount is an improvement over the stock mount. It does not substantially change the stock mount location, and the stock mount does not cantilever the shock attachment, the shock bushing is held between tabs, a superior configuration.

Ride of the truck is with the new springs and shocks is a little stiffer than what I had. But still "cushy", which is what I desired. I'm after a cruiser with my truck, so looking for comfort not speed.

I'll add comments as I continue to drive the truck.
Attached Images

Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
MikeN

Re: Review of Early Classics 5" Drop and Shock Relocate Kit

Wow, that is a beautiful truck, and exactly the stance I am looking for. How does the truck ride with the new lowering springs? Is it really stiff, or does it ride similar to stock?

EDIT: My bad, you already posted about the ride, I overlooked your comment.

Last edited by MikeN; 06-09-2017 at 10:18 AM.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
MikeN

Also, did the 2" drop springs in front require re-alignment of the front end?

Thanks again for posting, great info.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
zach_carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
Also, did the 2" drop springs in front require re-alignment of the front end?

Thanks again for posting, great info.
Anytime ride height changes a alignment will need to be done. Thats with any vehicle new/old.

LINK TO SUPER SNOOPY C10 BUILD---> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689283

1977 C10 SILVERADO HAWAIIAN BLUE, 5/5" DROP, LS6/4L80E

1976 CHEVY K5, 350/350, YUBA GOLD/SADDLE
zach_carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
Cris

Mike:

The truck rides pretty "soft" which is what I was after. I have not realigned the truck yet as I am still fooling around with other suspension parts which may upset the alignment. With the two inch drop in front, the truck still tracks great and there isn't a noticeable degradation in steering feel.

The truck was lowered by a PO by heating the springs. Here's what the springs looked like when I pulled them out. Friends don't let friends heat springs......

Rockn:

I thought of still using the Early Classics super track bar by mounting it at the shock mount location instead of sandwiched between the trailing arm and axle. That would have put a pretty steep angle on it. I just felt that because the 63 and 64 trucks have a longer stock track bar than the 65 and 66's, that keeping the stock bar would still be good.
Attached Images

Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #6
jrusher

looks great! Im going to drop my 65 and this height stance is what im looking for
jrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
The Rocknrod

After I removed the rear end housing bracket for the track bar I first bought early classic track bar (they make a long one). It mounts pretty high up on the passenger side trailing arm. So I went with POL unit, it mounts lower on the trailing arm. I was concerned with any possible frame contact and yes I have a C-notch.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote