The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Lance-ftw

oil pressure gauge bounces...

Just recently my oil pressure gauge started 'bouncing' I dunno how else to explain it really. I'll be going down the road and the oil pressure needle starts going up and down a little. It never tops out of bottoms out but when I start the truck up it goes up a lil high, then I put it in gear and it drops down.

Normally when I give it gas the pressure goes up until I let off the throttle. Until recently it's always been pretty steady, right now it's just sort of floppin around when I'm accelerating. Bad gauge or problem with engine?
Lance-ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
webfoot

Re: oil pressure gauge bounces...

Oil may be getting low, and not getting back to the pan fast enough to keep constant pressure.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Forgasmic

I would think its just a loose connection, check your wires at the sending unit.
Forgasmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

what does the pressure reads ? 60 lbs or 6 lbs

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Lance-ftw

heh, lbs.. it doesn't read anything like that it's eaither over here \ or over here / :P

Normal operation it goes towards the high side when I accelerate or if the engine is real cold, sits about 1/3rd up the gauge otherwise, drops a little without the accelerator actively engaged.

I'm rewiring the entire truck this weekend from tail to tip and doing an oil change, if it still does it after that I'll report back. Thanks for the info so far
Old 09-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
cdowns

most all these trucks have mechanical gauges // so do anything you want with electricity and it will have no effect on your oil pressure gauge except the light might get a bit brighter so you can see it bounce better
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Lance-ftw

well, after the oil change and test drive I'll see if it's still doin it.

I'm freaked about doing the wiring, I have no idea what all wires there will be. I've done a lot of electrical work in my ife so I'm not worried about the actual labor, just never done it in a vehicle so I'm going in a little blind.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
lil hoodlum

I'm freaked about doing the wiring, I have no idea what all wires there will be. I've done a lot of electrical work in my ife so I'm not worried about the actual labor, just never done it in a vehicle so I'm going in a little blind.[/QUOTE]

It's not really difficult to rewire a stock truck. All the wires are color coded and usually have all of the electrical conections attatched. The hardest part can be just figuring out how you want to run all of the wires. I rewired mine with a Painless chassis harness wiring assembly. 18 circuit GM 2x4 / 4X4 truck wiring system (67-72) part number 10206.

I did it in about 2 weeks but I was also replacing alot of the switches as well. I probably could have done it over a weekend if I was properly motivated.

FYI Painless Perfomance Products is located in Fort Worth.

Good luck!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Lance-ftw

well, I'm not quite stock, have a msd ignition and HEI. I ordered the ezwiring 21circuit "complete" kit. I know it comes without most of the connectors so I'll be doin a lot of soldering of old connectors or replacing them based on the condition they're in. I also have a newer stereo and an aftermarket tach though I doubt that'll be a big deal. I'm mostly concerned with just 'finding' them all and replacing the fuse panel. I'm hoping I don't have to do too much disassembly of the cab to get to all the dash bits but that's most likely wishful thinking.

I could have probably gone with the painless and been better off since it has connectors but with the few aftermarket bits I do have and the price difference I figured a little more work was worth the much lower price of the ezwiring harness. I'm also installing power windows around the same time which should be interesting :P never taken the glass out of a door before either, hoping I can find a good guide to print off or something.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Sammy

Lance, if your using a fram oil filter that maybe your problem. Heard of this happening before. If the bypass gets plugged with anything the oil pump will suck the guts from inside the filter. I seen this or I wouldn't have believed it. Causing the fluctaion in oil pressure. Even heard of guys with 305's n 350's in the newer trucks (99's up) who had erratic oil pressure who swapped to a simple AC filter and the erratic filter disappeared. If that cures your problem it will be a cheap fix for you and omly cost you a quality oil filter. Hope this don't cause a bunch of skeptic Fram users. As that isn't my purpose, seeing is believing.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote