The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Kantosensei

What would you do-- suspension and exhaust???

As some of you know, I live in Japan and can't run down to Autozone, Oreillys or Napa. They do not repair cars here, they dispose of them. For example, I had a clean 1992 Toyota Sprinter 4 door sedan, 50,000 miles, it had a torn cv boot and would not pass inspection, $500 to replace both boots, only paid $1000 for the car two years before, so I paid a junkyard $100 to take my car that I drove to them. It sounds crazy, but true. Thats when I decided to ship my Blazer over here. Prior to shipping my 72 Blazer here, I rebuilt my engine, transmission and transfer case. I don't know what I was thinking by not replacing the exhaust, now the exhaust is completely shot. I need everything from beginning to end. Exhaust manifolds are cracked, pipes are rusted, muffflers have big holes in them. What would you do? I do have access to a hydraulic tube bender, welders etc., I would like to go with headers and stainless tubing, but what size pipe, mufflers, headers etc. would you use. My budget is limited, but its not economy either, best bang for my dollar, I also have to consider shipping costs using U.S mail to a US military address. Also, size and length are a factor. Next, I have a sagging suspension. I was looking at a four inch lift with new front and rear leaf springs, but shipping was going to eat my entire budget. I need some ideas to cut back on the weight, new leaf springs are out of the question. How about add-a-leafs with new shocks and bushings? I don't necessarily need lift, as I am running 10.5x31.5x15 tires and this is a daily driver. I will be in Japan for about eight to ten more years and hope to do these things only once except for the routine muffler change, shocks etc. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.--David
Kantosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
jcfoote60

Re: What would you do-- suspension and exhaust???

On the exhaust side you need to look to your engine. If it is rebuilt stock a standard set of headers with 3" collectors would be fine, you are not going to get much benefit to high end big-tube headers unless your motor is built up and in need of maximum flow. Also I would just use standard 2-1/2" pipe max, again all for the same reasons. On mufflers I would recommend Flowmaster 40 series if you want a louder, bolder sound inside and definately outside. If you want good performance and milder sound go with their 50 series. You will get lots of brand loyalty on the board, I happen to like Flowmasters.

On the spring side, that is a tough one. It is even tougher that you are in Japan for the reasons you state. I know for a fact there are many board members that have extra springs, even full kits they would sell for a song. You might try the parts board, I have been in lot of conversations on the 4x4 section so that is another option. Good luck

JC
jcfoote60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

You might consider talking to one of the vendors or a place like GM Truck Center and see about getting some pre-bent tubing in manageable sections that you can install yourself. If you base it off the stock hangers and keep your suspension stock, you might have a chance of bolting it into place. I'm suggesting either a board vendor because they might have a rig on hand that they can build the exhaust to fit and then disassemble it and ship it to Japan.

LMC sells some stock replacement exhaust systems, so if have stock manifolds, it could be a bolt up product. By the time you return from Japan, you'll probably need new exhaust anyway, so you can get more custom then.

If you go with a lift, it complicates a lot. Even if you go with blocks or helper springs, your going to have to ship a set of front springs. If you go more that 4 inches (and even some 4" lifts) you have a greater chance of experiencing bump steer. This can be difficult to fix and sometimes involves new steering arms or pitman arms. Worst case (6" or more) cross-over will fix it, but that would involve fabrication and shipping more long & heavy parts.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Medicanman71
Account Suspended

mmmm cross-over.... mmmmmmmm
Medicanman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Chrome8

If you've never bent up your own set of complete dual exhaust i would definetly try to find prebent. Harder than it looks. No sense shipping an extra stick just in case you screw one up.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Confucius
Chrome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
Jason915

Hooker Headers makes a pre bent system that I just installed on my truck I ordered it for a 69-72 Blazer because I want to use a blazer gas tank. It was like $135 from summit racing comes w/o mufflers so you can pick what mufflers you want to use.

1970 K5 TBI conversion lifted etc SOLD
1968 C20 camper truck SOLD

“To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless.” Jeff Snyder
Jason915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Do you speak Japanese? Only reason I ask, is that you might be able to get the front springs re-arched locally. As far as the exhaust goes, I built mine for about $100 with 2-4 foot sections of 2 and a 1/4 inch pipe, two el cheapo mufflers and several clamps. I had the muffler shop bend the two 90's for the manifolds and I got the manifolds for $49.95 each online. Making that big time COLA over there, you should be in like Flynn! J/K, I know it sucks mail ordering anything you want over there. Been there, got the t-shirt. JCI sucks, eh? Anyway, if you have access to a tube bender, you should have no problem whipping up an exhaust that kicks for no more than you need. The lift kits are going pretty cheap from JCW as well, and I think if you ship USPS, you'll just be waiting a while, but not be out too much coin. If I can help somehow being on the ship, let me know. I don't see us heading your way any time soon(next year maybe), but I might be able to hook something up as far as sea and air mail go. Let me know, Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:01 AM   #8
Kantosensei

Thanks for all of the input. I think I am going to forget about the suspension for a while. I am going to replace the leaf spring bushings, and put on a set of shocks. As far as the exhaust goes, I am going to order a set of headers, some tubing, some hangers and clamps. I am going to attempt to bend the pipe myself, with the supervision of someone who says they have experience and weld the exhaust up myself.
Kantosensei is offline   Reply With Quote